Vehicle Coatings

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Coatings

Hey all!

Does anybody have any personal experiences with some of these hydrophobic coatings you can put on your vehicles, I'm sure they go by a million different names and companies but the one in my area (MA) is called Nano Surfaces Solutions and he is located over in Douglas MA. The idea is you apply this stuff to your pickup and its like a permanent, hydrophobic 3M but for your whole car, go back for a bi yearly reapplication to the tune of $200.00 (gold package only) and supposedly outside of a sudsy wash you'll never have to worry about a full detail wax and buff style cleaning ever again. Reading some reviews people swear by it, especially people with black vehicles, but you never know how many of these things could be paid testimonials or something of the sort. I've got the working knowledge of it from speaking with the guys over there at Nano Solutions but once again, does anybody actually have this on their truck (or car) with some miles, looking for durability and longevity style feedback if there is any. Thanks

Last edited by FallenF96; 11-13-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 11-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
We just bought a new car and the dealer tried to convince us to pay for that treatment but the reviews weren't encouraging so we didn't. But I don't see how any coating could prevent dust and dirt from settling on a vehicle regardless of how slippery or non-stick or "hydro-phobic" they claim it is.

One thing that I notice is that every car that the dealers show with this stuff on it, is in a CLEAN, DUST FREE show room! Ask them to show you a car on the outside lot that has this coating. Better yet, ask them to show you a X year old USED car that has it! My guess is that the sales droid will try to tell you that these are brand new and haven't been on the market for long but they're been around for many years however every dealer markets them under a different name.

One other thing, The thing with black cars is that no matter how CLEAN you get one they're really BAD about showing streaks so they take a lot of polishing even after they're squecky clean. We used to polish black show cars with corn starch so you can imagine how much work that was and how QUICKLY they needed cleaning again! This finish MAY help prevent streaking so it MIGHT help in that regard (if you have a super shiny black car) but I don't think it's going to do anything to help your car stay clean.

If I were you before buying this I'd also read the warranty closely and see what they really guarantee and for how long and how many loopholes there are in it.

Last edited by joe51; 11-13-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Isn't Hydrophobic the fear of water?

Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 PM
I've applied a product called Opti-Coat 2.0 a few times. It's a really good coating and lasts up to 2 years. The application is a bit finicky, so I bought some C.A.R. Bullet Proof coating to try this time around. I hope to get both my vehicles coated in the next few weeks. I will likely just do the hood, roof and tailgate of the truck, but the whole Edge.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used OPT Gloss-Coat ( the new name for OptiCoat 2.0 ) & OptiCoat on a few vehicles.
The roof of my truck and cap are going on 4 years without a re-application and it still beads water and shines up with a Optimum No Rise mixed 30:2 ratio. This is Opti Coat 2.0.

Front of mom & dad's RV is on year 2 of the whole front end having a coating and it is gone from late DEC until Early APR ( IL-AZ-TX-FL-IL ) and bugs still wash right off it. This is Gloss Coat.

As Blown F-150 posted, some people do not like applying OptiCoat.
- Some of the biggest problems I have seen is people either go too heavy and over work taking the high spot out ( causing too thin a coat ) or not waiting for the flash over to happen ( not using an air compressor ) and go after that spot like a high spot and are wiping 90% of the coating off the paint.

The professional line of Gloss-Coat was released ~ 7 years ago, so some of them have been out a long time with a good track record. Gloss-Coat does not have a reapply time frame to it like some of the other paint coatings do ( some even call that part reload ).
The DIY line from OPT has a bit more working time for removing high spots and does not have the ability to have the co-op warranty that OPT offers with the pro line.

I would ask a few more questions of Nano Surfaces Solutions
1. Is the 1st application including correction with the application or is that extra ?
2. Are they going to pop a surprise on you every 2 years with another correction is needed with the 200.00 for the re-application ?

Take a look at Detailer's Domain's posts in the care & detailing sub forum, if you want an idea of how perm paint coatings should be done.

If you don't get a goo feeling about the DIY route, you might want to find a reputable detailer in your area to do a perm paint coating.