Bought The 2008 Taurus.....!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:07 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Congrats!

I'm glad you are pleased with the condition of the car, because you were pretty skeptical up front.

Fiddy is on an annual oil change regime as well

Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Congrats!

I'm glad you are pleased with the condition of the car, because you were pretty skeptical up front.

Fiddy is on an annual oil change regime as well
Yes -- it was a real cream puff! Looking forward to getting it back to Texas and getting it all detailed-up and ready to go!

Beyond getting the exterior all shined up, I'm going to go ahead and flush the coolant since it is over the recommended time limit for the Motorcraft Gold and also change the fuel filter. I'll probably run a few heavy doses of Techron through it and then change the oil. Everything else I am going to call "good" unless I find out otherwise!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted up those wheel specs you were asking about, not sure if you saw that. Maybe you can get her some new shoes.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
I posted up those wheel specs you were asking about, not sure if you saw that. Maybe you can get her some new shoes.
Yes, I did -- thanks!

It all depends on what happens with the car -- if my wife decides she wants to use it for her daily driver then I'll just run it with the factory rims and tires. However, if the wife "passes" and it goes into my rotation of "toys" then a different set of rims and tires will be high on my list of things to address.....

Old 06-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Well, I guess I can cross replacing the fuel filter off my list of things to do when the Taurus gets to Texas -- looks as if it has a "lifetime" filter in the tank rather than a replaceable unit. Not real crazy about that, but that's what it is.....

Also noticed that they take 5.5 quarts of oil -- kind of annoying they didn't just bump it up to 6 to make changes easier, but I guess I'll just have to get used to adding the extra half quart at every change.....

Old 06-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya, that life time filter thing is BS.

When's the Taurus suppose to arrive?

Old 06-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by MTM Ford
Ya, that life time filter thing is BS.

When's the Taurus suppose to arrive?
They're telling me it will be picked up by Wednesday of this week, but my past experience with moving cars makes me think, "I'll believe it when I see it!"

But, if that date holds true, I'm thinking it should show up here over the weekend.....???

Old 06-13-2016, 11:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Also noticed that they take 5.5 quarts of oil -- kind of annoying they didn't just bump it up to 6 to make changes easier, but I guess I'll just have to get used to adding the extra half quart at every change.....
kinda weird, IIRC the duratec 3.5L takes 5.5Qts and the 3.0L takes 6.0Qts

FWIW if the 3.0 only takes 5.5Qts its always been give 6qts in my house

Old 06-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
kinda weird, IIRC the duratec 3.5L takes 5.5Qts and the 3.0L takes 6.0Qts

FWIW if the 3.0 only takes 5.5Qts its always been give 6qts in my house

No -- we have a 3.0 in our '05 Escape and it does take 6 quarts. I've already determined that I will buy a 20-ounce Gatorade on the way back to Houston tomorrow and the will mark a 16-ounce line on the side with a Sharpie and just keep it in my container of oil change tools for getting the extra half quart in every change.....

Old 06-20-2016, 09:19 PM
The Taurus arrived from Virginia yesterday evening around 6:00:

The car was very dusty from the trip, but other than that appeared to be no worse for wear! Looking forward to getting some time off so I can give it it's first good detail and get everything set-up the way I want it!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No -- we have a 3.0 in our '05 Escape and it does take 6 quarts. I've already determined that I will buy a 20-ounce Gatorade on the way back to Houston tomorrow and the will mark a 16-ounce line on the side with a Sharpie and just keep it in my container of oil change tools for getting the extra half quart in every change.....
Just buy or save an extra qt and dump half of it into an empty oil bottle. Then you are set for 2 changes. Most of the plastic oil bottles have a sight stripe on the side, so that should be pretty easy.

BTW I would never put Gatorade in my engine.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
Just buy or save an extra qt and dump half of it into an empty oil bottle. Then you are set for 2 changes. Most of the plastic oil bottles have a sight stripe on the side, so that should be pretty easy.

BTW I would never put Gatorade in my engine.
I already bought the Gatorade, but it might get displaced by an ice tea bottle that I picked up at a jobsite today! I'll try them both out and see which shape is easiest to fill and pour and then make my final decision.....

Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Put 5 quarts in, then when the oil drops below the ADD line, add a full quart..........

Old 06-24-2016, 02:10 AM
Been a busy week at work, so I haven't had much time to do anything with the Taurus. Not a fan of the combination key and FOB, so I ordered a few of the old style transponder keys with the separate FOB's and got them programmed up.

Also ordered a set of Lloyd protector mats, but haven't opened the box yet. If the wife decides to take the car for her new daily driver I'll probably spring for a set of Weathertech mats.

Washed the windows tonight and realized they have a ton of hard water spots -- I'll get to work addressing that issue in the next day or two. Probably use some Barkeepers Friend.....???

Also ran it up on some ramps tonight to check out the underside of the car -- it looks as clean under there as a new vehicle right off the dealer lot.....

Old 06-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably use some Barkeepers Friend.....???
I have not used for water spots, but have for many other purposes and that stuff work on just about everything. I did recently pick up some Meguiars Glass cleaner and have been pleased with it so far.

Quick Reply: Bought The 2008 Taurus.....!!!