OBD-III- it coming and it's controversial

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
OBD-III- it coming and it's controversial

OBD-III is the next thing coming out in cars. What form it will take has not been decided but what is proposed is an invasion of your rights and privacy. You might want to know that it's in the works. While there is a lot of radical ideas on the net about how it CAN be used, the primary function is to allow any mechanic with the right equipment to see the same thing a dealer can and fix the issue. The intent is to get defective vehicles emissions compliant faster. What has been included is that the Gov't, both state and federal, can monitor your vehicle without your permission and in some cases, do it without your knowledge. They can also read your stored codes without the vehicle running and do it from the street. It's also available that a police unit can turn your car off and disable your vehicle for failure to get a stored code fixed. This, of course, is mostly coming out of Kalifornia and CARB. There are those that believe none of this can happen as it goes against your Constitutional rights to privacy. But we've all seen the current Gov't wipe their but with the Constitution so I'm not sure what, if any, of that will actually happen. Kindly remember, this is not in force, just proposed actions.
So you get it from a qualified source, here's SEMAs info on the subject. If you do a Google search about it, there's a ton of rumors out there. Again, this is PROPOSED, not actual legislation.
http://lobby.la.psu.edu/_107th/093_O..._questions.htm

Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Labnerd, I'm in Commiefornia and haven't heard anything about this yet. Is there a proposed date/year they want to spring this on us?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
No date, just talk about it. CARB was real active on this starting YM 2000 but they ran into resistance via the privacy in the Constitution. They kinda shelved the idea in 2004. Now with the feds wanting to track and control our carbon footprint, this mess has raised its ugly head again. I see it as a major invasion of privacy but then you have the feds that are now saying that driving is a privilege, not a right. In that context, they might just be able to pull this off. Unfortunately, Texas, my state, driving has been declared a privilege and REQUIRES insurance for you to own, license, and drive a vehicle. You have no right to drive here, it is a privilege. I also see this as a means of the Feds to limit those who can drive which has been on the agenda of the current administration. Having it actually declared a privilege and things are going to change quick. You'll be in a position to prove the NEED for a drivers license or you won't have one. This is the global warming morons agenda. So this deeper than just monitoring the PCM codes.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A few years back I remember the EPA or some other agency here in Commie-fornia talking about having to report the annual miles you drive and "taxing" you a premium if it was over what they deemed allowable. It sounds like this OBDIII fits right in there.

I'm glad that I'm 62 so I won't have to watch the total destruction of our rights. I feel bad for my kids and grandkids though.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mainly affect businesses, not like any of us are putting 150k a year on a vehicle. Won't affect me, I never have a vehicle on the road that isn't road legal or with a code present (why would I want poor mpg?).

Last edited by Need4racin; 05-01-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply: OBD-III- it coming and it's controversial