2015 Mustang GT Transmission Problems? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mustang GT Transmission Problems? Please Help!

I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned (link in Youtube video below).

So I took it to a local Ford dealership, Bozard Ford, after I drove it about 200 miles, and they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto Collision in St Augustine (~7 miles away) according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager and Greg’s apparently did a very poor paint repair on my new car (less than a week old). Pictures in Youtube video below. The paint and clear coat were further damaged on the car somehow in the whole process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership, and when I drove away in my Mustang (after the dealership had it for ~16 miles), I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded somehow when I left it in the dealership’s care.

Two other people have driven it and confirmed my concern so far.
Does anyone know what would cause this really poor shift quality? What type of condition?

Terrible Paint Repair:

Update 2/4: Transmission now has Problems at 244 miles on odometer! While with the Ford dealership for warranty paint repair and door/fender alignment, the manual transmission shift quality became VERY poor in 4th gear. So at 244 miles on the odometer it's now got manual transmission and paint problems!!

Update 2/18: After talking to the dealership service manager, GM, and Ford I have still not been offered a brand new transmission for the car.

Update 3/9: Test drove a brand new 2015 Mustang GT Manual at Autonation Ford Jacksonville where I confirmed that a new Mustang GT manual does NOT exhibit the same shift problem.

Update 3/12: No resolution reached despite dozens of phone calls to Ford and dealerships. Still have serious transmission problems with 4th gear.

Update 3/14: For additional confirmation, took it to an independent transmission repair shop 3/14 with 996 miles on it where the mechanic confirmed a transmission problem exists.

Update 3/19: Unable to get transmission fixed (at all) up to this point.

Update 3/20: Seems like more dealership run-around and denials etc...

Update 3/24: Another independent repair shop drives car 3/24 and mechanic said there def. is a problem with transmission. Believed to be bad syncros. *Though, a Ford dealership still has NOT given me anything in writing that lists a problem they could find with transmission.*

Update 4/3: Serious transmission and also lingering paint problems (but I still have five other gears, right). Time to get exact numbers on oil consumption.

Update 4/4: 2 months, still working on getting transmission/car fixed and resolved. I want to thank everyone who has supported me by responding to my thread and viewing my Youtube videos! The more responses and views I get, the more support I have. I have received a lot of great advice from all of you, my fellow car enthusiasts. Sharing my experience is about helping others avoid what has happened to me. Please wish me luck, your support is always much appreciated. God Bless.

Update 4/13: I am deciding if I should bring my Mustang in to a Ford dealership again (or move to plan B). Two independent repair shops already confirmed the transmission problem, so one would think a Ford dealership will eventually fix it (or maybe they never will). I will post updates to help everyone. Thanks for all your responses and support guys!

Update 4/19: Plan B.

I requested transmission fluid be changed to check for metal deposits etc, but could not get authorization/approval. Anyone know why?

Last edited by 15mustang; 04-19-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah -- that was a "botch job" paint repair for sure. I'm thinking they figured they'd just touch it up with one of those little tubes with the built-in brush and see if you would stand for it -- you'd be amazed at how many people would probably accept it!

On a side note, it seems kind of odd that a dealer wouldn't have their own body shop -- are you dealing with some kind of small-town "local yokel" or is this a legitimate dealer with the facilities and skill to handle this kind of repair? If not, I'd start looking for a dealer who could provide the kind of warranty service I'd want on a new vehicle!

As far as the shifting issues, it sounds to me like it is probably just an adjustment issue in the linkage, and any decent dealer should be able to get this working properly again. The other thought I have is whether your car got "dinged" during the transport process, which could explain the door misalignment and maybe even the sticky linkage.....???

Nice car, by the way -- I haven't seen too many of them on the road down here in Houston yet! I have a Grabber Orange '08 GT in my stable, but I'd sure love to have your 5.0 sitting under my hood instead of the old 3-valve 4.6 that's in mine......

Old 02-22-2015, 01:36 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
We have a Ford customer service rep on the forum. Member name is "FordService". Reach out to her in a private message and she can help you with dealer issues.

I'd bet that one of the monkeys at the dealership or the body shop took the car out and drove it like he stole it. How else would a perfectly good shifting tranny go to hell?

I've seen a lot of dealers without their own body shop.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
The manual trans in the 5.0 12-14 stangs are very poor. Very notchy and noisy. Not anywhere near as nice as the T56 they stuck behind the 03/04 Cobras and many branded other sports cars over the years

[I assume they are still using the same manual trans as the 12-14 used, but I don't know for sure]

Old 02-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to say what Patman said, the Getreg tranny used in the Mustang has had some issues shifting. I'm not sure if anything has changed for the 2015s though. Check a Mustang forum and you can find out more about the problem and if it's what you're seeing.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 15mustang
I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage...
I want to jump in here and get this escalated to your regional customer service manager (CSM), 15mustang. Send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership info; I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by FordService
I want to jump in here and get this escalated to your regional customer service manager (CSM), 15mustang. Send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership info; I'll do the rest.

Crystal
Hi, thanks Crystal. I've spoken to Ford and I have been offered a rebuild since its brand new, but I am hopeful Ford will do the right thing ->

I've been a long time Ford owner (2 Focuses, Taurus, ZX2, 65 Mustang) and my family has owned over a dozen Fords over the years.

Ford determines how this story ends

Old 03-01-2015, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
The manual trans in the 5.0 12-14 stangs are very poor. Very notchy and noisy. Not anywhere near as nice as the T56 they stuck behind the 03/04 Cobras and many branded other sports cars over the years

[I assume they are still using the same manual trans as the 12-14 used, but I don't know for sure]
Yes they are and it has been upgraded for 2015 (so I heard). There is def. something wrong with my transmission after the dealership had it.

I am posting this story as a long-time Ford owner to help other Ford owners (mustang or F150). My advice, a dash cam is worth every penny!

My whole family has purchased well over a dozen Fords over the years (probably closer to 2 dozen, including helping my father purchase an F150), and I have personally owned four in my name.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Yeah -- that was a "botch job" paint repair for sure. I'm thinking they figured they'd just touch it up with one of those little tubes with the built-in brush and see if you would stand for it -- you'd be amazed at how many people would probably accept it!

On a side note, it seems kind of odd that a dealer wouldn't have their own body shop -- are you dealing with some kind of small-town "local yokel" or is this a legitimate dealer with the facilities and skill to handle this kind of repair? If not, I'd start looking for a dealer who could provide the kind of warranty service I'd want on a new vehicle!

As far as the shifting issues, it sounds to me like it is probably just an adjustment issue in the linkage, and any decent dealer should be able to get this working properly again. The other thought I have is whether your car got "dinged" during the transport process, which could explain the door misalignment and maybe even the sticky linkage.....???

Nice car, by the way -- I haven't seen too many of them on the road down here in Houston yet! I have a Grabber Orange '08 GT in my stable, but I'd sure love to have your 5.0 sitting under my hood instead of the old 3-valve 4.6 that's in mine......
Thanks for the compliments! I really hope so on the linkage! The 5.0 sounds great, but people are also doing great things with the 4.6l motor.

I really appreciate everyone who has viewed the thread, viewed the video, and posted a response! As owners, we have say too!! Thanks guys!

Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by glc
We have a Ford customer service rep on the forum. Member name is "FordService". Reach out to her in a private message and she can help you with dealer issues.

I'd bet that one of the monkeys at the dealership or the body shop took the car out and drove it like he stole it. How else would a perfectly good shifting tranny go to hell?

Thanks for info! Working with a CSM. Ford is very aware at this point. Still trying to get acknowledgement and an acceptable solution...

Last edited by 15mustang; 03-17-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by glc

Update 3/19. Still trying to get the transmission fixed at all (either rebuild or new transmission).

Old 03-20-2015, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by ddellwo

Thanks for compliment on car! Just wish the problems were fixed. 4th gear is beyond aggravating to shift into, it needs to be fixed.

Note: I requested transmission fluid be changed to check for metal deposits etc, but could not get authorization/approval. Anyone know why?

Old 03-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wonder if there is more to the story?

Sounds like ford wants to repair trans and you want a new one. You are sticking to your guns and they are sticking to theirs

As for the paint, I would have left it there. Anyone that has ever had paint and body work done has had to inspect it and reject it.

Last. Paint and trans are solid issues. How many fords you have and how far you drive are non issues. Have you accepted help from crystal.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
Wonder if there is more to the story?

Sounds like ford wants to repair trans and you want a new one. You are sticking to your guns and they are sticking to theirs

As for the paint, I would have left it there. Anyone that has ever had paint and body work done has had to inspect it and reject it.

Last. Paint and trans are solid issues. How many fords you have and how far you drive are non issues. Have you accepted help from crystal.
Yes, I was working with a CSM/Ford Rep.

Initially, but at this point I don't have Ford authorization for either a rebuild or a brand new transmission. In other words, I am unable to get Ford to fix it.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At one point you said dealer and ford agreed to rebuild, what happened?

What is status of paint

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang GT Transmission Problems? Please Help!