Blasteroids Virus/How do I get rid of it?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Blasteroids Virus/How do I get rid of it?

Yea, just installed a fresh system download of W7, - figured it couldn't hurt, -wasn't having any problems. I kept the system fairly clean w/CCleaner along with MSE. MSE, I never can tell if that catches anything....all the same, I've haven't had a Male-ware or Virus issue in a very long time.

Anyway, got to the point were I began downloading a new copy of MSE from the internet and made a mistake by not checking the download site...plus I walked away! Came back about 3 minutes later and by that time, not only was blasteroids was downloaded but 4 others were there as well.

I believe I managed to get rid of the others and of course I stooped the download as soon as I caught it...half way thru BUT! ...Definitely not in time. It has already attached itself to all my PC browsers I use, - IE, FF and Chrome.

So, whats the best way to get rid of it ?

Should I pay 30 bucks or so for a good malicious software removal tool or should I just go into the each browser and remove it manually?

I looked this one up on the net and it's a potentially bad one, fairly new, - it's been planting itself quite a bit in the last 6 months. It doesn't register in control panel or programs of course, so I can't get rid of that way.

Anyone have fun with this one yet ?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 PM

Crap! Update... - Might just start over again, - it must be downloading more male-ware in the background or something... Think I'll just dump this sytem and try again.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try this Brew.. http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-blasteroids-virus/

I've not heard of it, but by the description here, it's just adware..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kaspersky.............

Old 07-31-2014, 12:43 AM

Thanks Mitch, - Hows the new truck been treating you ?

That link describes the virus well. Think I'm just going to clone my old HD to the new one instead (w/Acronis).

Just fooling around with some computers lol..Yea, actually I was just upgrading two PC's, - kind of in the middle of that now. A friend gave me a great deal on 2 new Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD's. Sooo...figured it was a good time. Both computers are fairly old 2008/2009...haven't a good reason to go with a new build yet.. yea, not yet anyway lol.

The desktop I built and the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525. Both have been great, better than expected. I'm doing a little more to the laptop, -upgrading the processor to latest greatest so it'll be still worth using on the road. That and a SSD should fair pretty well for it. It's not that bad now really, the new processor was only 30 bucks, so what the heck, might as well lol.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Kaspersky.............
Been there don that in the past..Kaspersky has been a Hawg in the past and irritating as well lol. I'm happy w/MSE, - been using it for what, - 3 years maybe without issues. I used AVIRA before that. Use to like it until they changed it for the worst IMO.

With MSE, I never know if it catches anything. Well, at least it doesn't tell me if it does. No quarantines...nothing. Perhaps that's for the best, since I haven't had a problem with it iduno lol.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC Matic caught some garbage others missed on 2 of my systems....

Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 AM
malwarebytes.org.. Has always worked great for me

Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
^This, I use it myself.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Thanks Mitch, - Hows the new truck been treating you ?

Hey Brew. The truck is simply awesome.. 6500 miles so far. Lifetime mpg so far is 16 (I reset trip A when I drove it off the lot with 35 miles on it). That's with 3 decent tows of the TT and a lot of getting into the boost too!

Changing the oil for the first time was an 'experience', but now I know what to expect for next time..

Sounds like you got a good handle on the computer deal. Those upgrades sound good and something I've not tried before (swapping cpu in a laptop).. Being the Sys Admin for a living, I just get new devices..

Mitch

Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Simply67X
PC Matic caught some garbage others missed on 2 of my systems....
Heard of that one, it's been around for quite awhile.

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
That's probably the most referred to over the years. I would have checked it out, but.... well, I've never really needed maleware-virus programs of this nature in the past and it seems they all wanted at least 30 bucks or so. I don't mind paying for something I can use so... I had an easier route to take anyway this time.

Originally Posted by dewalt17
^This, I use it myself.
Right, it's definitely popular.

Originally Posted by MitchF150
Hey Brew. The truck is simply awesome.. 6500 miles so far. Lifetime mpg so far is 16 (I reset trip A when I drove it off the lot with 35 miles on it). That's with 3 decent tows of the TT and a lot of getting into the boost too!

Changing the oil for the first time was an 'experience', but now I know what to expect for next time..

Sounds like you got a good handle on the computer deal. Those upgrades sound good and something I've not tried before (swapping cpu in a laptop).. Being the Sys Admin for a living, I just get new devices..

Mitch
So your getting 16mpg with the camper in tow ? That's great! The 98 doesn't get that good nekkid. It did get 16 for a short time after I went thru it, but, I used it for about 8 mouths last year only getting 13mpg. It's currently resting in a corner of the garage...yep, it has it's own space.

Changing the oil any simpler with that new one ? Can't be as easy as the 97 was....no way lol.

As far as getting new devices, I'm starting to change my ways. Instead of fixing everything, I'm chucking the crap more. I still enjoy working on some of it tho, when I have the time. So, IF I screw it up or can't remember how it goes back together, then I'll get a new one.....it's is then deemed warranted.

BTW- Even my insurance guy asks me when am I getting a new truck. Good guy, since I don't use the truck that much, I keep storage insurance on it. When I need it, just give him a call and he'll insure it for the road for a week or two if need be. Can't beat that.

The computer. Since I was in the middle of a clean system install (fresh "old" copy of w7), I just dumped it vrs going thru the male-ware/virus thing. Not sure if it was the right choice, - just didn't want to fool with anymore THEN end up doing the same anyway. The male-ware/Virus came to me from an internet download of Microsoft security essentials of all things lol. That much I tracked down and confirmed. The site I went to for the download was correct (Microsoft), but somehow was redirected to something bogus . Funny, it showed I went to Microsoft in history, but didn't show any kind of redirection. Can't totally explain it and didn't feel like messing it anymore anyway so...yea.

Anyway, I pulled the SSD back out of the desktop, reconnected the old HD, as it was still in it's slot. Then attempted to follow the instructions that came with the Samsung SSD'S. Samsung packaged cloning software with their product. So I figured I would just clone what I had before I started. Using a Apricorn usb to SATA/SSD I began with the Desktop. Once that was going, I began cloning the laptop as well. Well, both failed, -Samsungs software sucked. That's okay, my fallback was Acronis. An old copy of Acronis True Image 11 that I purchase back in 2009. Using that I began again. Worked like a charm and didn't take all that long. Acronis locks C drive/reboots then immediately starts the process. Which is really the best way IMO.
Desktop is finished and working great. Noticeable difference in speed of course, -going from a mechanical drive(WD2500JS) to an SSD(Samsung 840EVO 250GB). Didn't really benchmark anything except boot time. Boot-time to the Login screen was fairly close to being cut in half.

DT:
Mechanical drive WD2500JS = 53 seconds
SSD Samsung 840EVO 250GB = 31 seconds

The Laptop - Still in progress. The drives cloned, -going to confirm the new drive then swapping out the CPU. The new CPU should work, we'll have to see...might not take.
Replacing a Intel T2390 Dual Core @ 1.86 GHz/ P 478 Soc for a Intel Core 2 duo Mobile Pro T8300.

Hey thanks for the info fella's, appreciate it!

Last edited by jbrew; 07-31-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 PM
Naw... It only gets 10-11 towing the camper. I've gotten a best of 21 on a straight hwy run of 240 miles. My daily commute nets me around 16-17, so I'm happy with that. The lifetime is over 6500 miles and just over 400 gallons of gas so far! Oil changes on this thing is a bitch.. But, the plugs will be a lot easier to get to!

Since I started working with computers over 16 years ago, my hobby side of them ended pretty fast! That whole thing about "doing what you love and you won't work a day in your life" is BS! It's still WORK!

Glad things are going well with your tinkering and all.

Mitch

Old 08-07-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MitchF150
Naw... It only gets 10-11 towing the camper. I've gotten a best of 21 on a straight hwy run of 240 miles. My daily commute nets me around 16-17, so I'm happy with that. The lifetime is over 6500 miles and just over 400 gallons of gas so far! Oil changes on this thing is a bitch.. But, the plugs will be a lot easier to get to!

Since I started working with computers over 16 years ago, my hobby side of them ended pretty fast! That whole thing about "doing what you love and you won't work a day in your life" is BS! It's still WORK!

Glad things are going well with your tinkering and all.

Mitch
21! That's about what my old farts car gets = MKS. That's great! Keeping track of your gallons ehh...can't say that I've ever done that. So what's that about 1500 in fuel costs so far ? I should keep track, just out of curiosity.

Yea, I don't think they're their going to make changing the oil any easier. They want you to take it in for one. I've never had a vehicle that been easier than the 98

I garbage picked my first computer then fixed it. It was a 99 Mac, only 2 years old when I found it. Yeup, stoop to garbage picker level for that GEM. Think it was called a grey, I can't recall, it was a transparent smoke color. Was going to make an aquarium out of it, but zapped the pram and it came back to life. First computer and I was sorta hooked. However, just monkeying around with the them I need at least two cups of caffeine before hand.

Well, have to clear a path in the garage so I can get the truck out today, -haven't drove her in 6 months. Can't go anywhere, has storage insurance on her, I jack uo the rear and put 20 miles on it or so, then put it back in the corner until I need her for something. My oldest daughter hasn't asked me for the keys lately, but I might give it up if asked again.

Take care Mitch.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:56 PM

BTW, I thru the new SSD and Core 2 processor @ 2.4GHz in the 1525 laptop and wasn't that impressed. It already had a fast HD, =Scorpio Black 350. Only picked up 6 seconds, boot to login. I pulled the T8300, it's going in my youngest daughters Mac mini. Ordered a T9900 Core 2 @ 3.06 GHz and it should be here in about an hour. Then I'm done with comps for awhile... again lol.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Hey Brew,

I let the computer do it all! This was the trip meter for that one. It keeps track of gallons used.. It's pretty darn close too. Off by only a few tenths at fill up time.

Name:  sunday004_zps7a7b3a76.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  239.8 KB

I've kept Trip A set since I got the truck. I'll have to get a pic of that someday!

Too bad you can't get the ol' 98 out more often... After what I recall your daughter doing to her F150 a little while ago, I'm surprised you even let you sit in yours!

But, if you can hang on to it, that's great too! My Dad still has his 71 F250 and he's in the process of "semi restoring" it... Unfortunately, he just found out it has a cracked block... He thought it might have been a freeze plug, but somewhere along the line, it froze while stored in the shop... So, he's getting a reman 390 for it.. Says it's going to cost more than the truck did brand new in 1971!

Take care,

Mitch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blasteroids Virus/How do I get rid of it?