Anyone use a dash cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I think that's an excellent picture, Coy. How does it work at night? Nice job with the installation too!

Sounds like this could be a trend - copying the Russians! Hope we haven't gotten to be as bad on the road as them.

- Jack
Hey Jack

It's decent at night, sure not perfect but can still tell whats going on as far as vehicle's, license plates and intersections that you are crossing. I drove in some pretty icy weather today and was glad i had it.. I was waiting for a car to lose control in the left lane and drive into the side of the truck. But thank goodness that didnt happen

Old 02-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by BrazenC5
Pretty cool KRC, I just bought one based on your post! Thought I would give it a shot.
Let us know what you think of it.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use my GoPro mounted on the drivers seatbelt holder. It shows everything I'm doing and what they're doing around me.

Last edited by ak_cowboy; 02-03-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a cam for almost a year, FineVu cr500 It works well and I like all its features like parking mode, accident mode and 8 hrs of recording before it over writes the old stuff.

The only issue is the internal battery died so the date is wrong.

I don't check on it anymore, just let it do its thing unless I want to see something.
Plenty of deer were out so I saved the video.

Night test show clear picture but occasional freezing.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I just want it for the idiots around here that like to run red lights and hit you then take off. Had a buddy that was denied a insurance claim a few months ago cause there were no withness'. I think this little cam will help more than it hurts. There has been a scam around here the last month when there is no one around the car ahead of you throws it in reverse and hits you, then tells the cops you rearended them and of course most of the time they get a nice insurance check out of the deal. Not going to happen to me!

The other forum wanted a video of it in action so i uploaded a 3 minute clip. For the price it has a pretty good picture.. If yal watch it be sure to watch it in 720p
How much does it record before it starts overwriting? This seems neat. Possibly a life-savers for those of us who carry and might need a witness should the metal come out shining. Doesn't get 360 video, but audio is good.

Another question: How does this pertain to state law about video/audio recording law enforcement should you get pulled over? I'd like to know how Florida feels about it

Last edited by Raptor05121; 02-24-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
How much does it record before it starts overwriting? This seems neat. Possibly a life-savers for those of us who carry and might need a witness should the metal come out shining. Doesn't get 360 video, but audio is good.

Another question: How does this pertain to state law about video/audio recording law enforcement should you get pulled over? I'd like to know how Florida feels about it
Right now i have a 16 gig sd card in it and it will record a alittle over 2hrs of video before it rewrites the oldest file. But it takes up to a 32 gig card which should give 4 hours of recording.

I have no clue on your second question

Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Well, after my purchase of the dash cam i have decided that i like the idea and ordered a new one, its a DVR-m880 or G1W (same camera).. This one is suppose to be the best camera there is under the 100 dollar mark.

Records in Full 1080p
32 gig Micro Sd Card
2.7 inch color screen
Hdmi Port
5.0 MP for taking photos
130 degree viewing angle
motion detection
G-sensor
Great Night Vision
and Gps Option.

I just put it in the truck so havent got to play with it much, but overall it looks like a great unit. The feature i like the best is you can zoom in with a quick touch of a button then zoom back out.

I will have a video this evening.

Name:  Message_1408647957486_zpsd188a175.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  69.2 KB

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM
KingRanchCoy..can the sound be muted on the cam. Was the install difficult?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by vt780htx
KingRanchCoy..can the sound be muted on the cam. Was the install difficult?
Sound can be muted in the camera settings. All i did on the install was run the wire up the headliner down the pillar thur the fuse box, under dash into the cigarette lighter, Im about to order the kit to wire it to the fuse box so the camera turns off and on when i start the truck. When the camera comes on it automatically starts to record.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Heres the first video i took with it, i made the video in a smaller resolution since my internet is so slow, it took 3 hours to just upload this video .. The full size video is perfectly clear..

At 2:35 i did a little half throttle punch and tire spin at 25mph just for all you EB haters.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 AM
ok, i have had a couple pm's asking if i had a video that was unedited and better resolution, So here is the new video.. Be sure to click the gear icon on the video and select 1080p.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive used one for nearly 3 years, swear by them.
I wish the truck manufacturers would start placing power points and USB ports in the headliner. Would help a lot with powering devices.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might consider this in the new truck.

I suppose my mind has been changed about them and it's really a helpful thing. Plus if it's your fault you just take it off haha

Old 03-01-2016, 12:29 AM
2 years later i thought i would update this thread. I've got to where i have purchased the G1W Cam for all the vehicles, they work great and haven't had any problems what so ever out of them.

Here is a few Videos over the years that the Camera has caught.

First Video was taking the truck in the car wash, apparently the blazer ahead of me jumped the roller and my truck ended up pushing it all the way down the line. There wasn't alot of damage but i did have some scuffs on the plastics and the license plate was bent. Car wash first tried to deny it until i told him everything was on camera, they compared my video to their video and ended up replacing 2 of the plastic pieces on my bumper with some cash to boot.

Second Video was almost a hard hit with a deer, Cruising the backroads running 85 headed to Waco when he decided to run across the road. I barely missed him

3rd Video. A Chebby driver doesn't know how to put a strap on his ladder.

4th. Just started raining and was leaving the grocery store and a motorcycle ran the stop sign. Had a hard time stopping with the wet roads but everything worked out good. Especially for him!

5th. Dodge Ram pulling a rental trailer decided he wasn't going to finish making the slight curve to the right and came right at us, could've swore i saw him looking down at his phone but he denied it. Video Muted because it would violate most forum policies

6th.. Just a good video of driving around when it decided to rain here. The towns drainage system is the streets.

7th. Just Happened today, Chrysler pulled out from the far right and came across all the lanes of traffic, right in front of me then decided to pull off in the bank. I bit my tongue on this one since my son was with me.

There is plenty more but these are the best ones. I honestly couldn't imagine not having a dash cam. Here's a couple more that i like the most.. The drag race with the 5.0 Stang was pretty fun. I kept up pretty well considering.

Here is the last one, Just a nice video when we were on Vacation on Phantom Canyon road near Colorado Springs CO..

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 03-01-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:39 PM
^^^That last video is great!!! Going through the tunnel really shows how the aperature adjusts to changing light situation.
I bought a G1W a few month ago...just haven't installed it yet

Quick Reply: Anyone use a dash cam?