Job hunt advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Job hunt advice?

Hi all,

I'm graduating this December with a bachelor's in General Management and I'm looking for some advice/insight.

I've worked at my current workplace (Target) since highschool which is over six years now. I turned 22 a few months ago. I'm a very hard worker and have missed 3 days of work and that was do to being so sick I could literally not stand... Some sort of 24 flu thing. I continue to expand my capabilities and am able to do nearly all positions. I think that's important in any job... I like knowing the jobs especially if I managed over people in them. They've given me more responsibilities as well.

I possess a class B cdl with passenger and airbrake endorsements since I worked for the university shuttle service since summer of 2010 and managed for 2 years training new drivers, payroll etc.

I've been working towards an assistant store manager position and my management has been grooming me. It pays 50k to start and one of my buddies took the job when he graduated this spring. Lately there's been so much happening with people out and being fired my situation has been on the back burner. I understand, but I want to see what else is out there, especially non retail. My issue is I'm not sure what else I'm qualified for. Hell for the right job and pay is relocate if that was the case. I've always wanted to live down south. I like fitness and obviously a huge car/truck guy. My dad said to be creative but I'm not sure what to apply to and for what position? I'm very good with customer service and have been complimented countless times over my ability to talk to customers. I regularly talk to some customers and that's a strong point in my personality. Through college I've become a outgoing person.

Any advice? The money is there at Target, but I'd like to see other options and if they'd pay around the same.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me preface this as being my own personal experience and opinion. At 22 you're still young. Now is the time to explore what you're passionate about and want to do for the rest of your life. When you hit your first midlife crisis you'll always think about the what ifs in terms of jobs and locales. We always regret the chances in life we don't take. I took the traditional route of college and picking what I want to do for the rest of my life at age 18-22. I have a great life, but I'm always speculating if I chose wisely and do regret not being more of a risk taker (why did I stick around here for Iowa winters ). I'm not as passionate about what I do now as I was back in my early twenties, but at this point I'm not willing to risk what I have to satisfy my curiosities (ex: moving to a warmer climate or changing industries). My point of all this is that it never hurts to explore the possibilities. Go down south and see if it takes. Given your customer service experience and truck enthusiasm, maybe staying in retail and working for a dealership would be a fit. Maybe take a few college classes working towards some type of exercise science degree. Regardless of what you choose, it looks like you've got a good head on your shoulders and support from your family. You'll do fine.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
See if Greyhound is hiring drivers.

Last edited by Bluejay; 07-18-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fishing guide.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
If you can make 50k at Target at 22 years old, I'd seriously think about taking it. The job market right now SUCKS. If you bail, you are going to have a hard enough time even finding a full-time job because of Obamacare, much less finding one that pays well.

You don't have to work for Target forever - but who knows, you may be able to work your way into upper management. If not, at least with some documented managerial experience you should have an easier time finding a different career down the road when things open back up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 PM
50k a year right out of college isnt bad. the thing i picked out of all that was the cdl though. if you like being outside and around vehicles consider ups driver (eventually moving up to route/shift supervisor), road construction (having a cdl puts you leagues ahead of the rest, get on with a private company making prevailing wage and thats 38.50 an hour, and youre outside around vehicles all day), or be a lineman doing electrical work (again that cdl puts you leagues ahead of the rest).

like said above though, at 22 you have some time to explore. good job getting that degree though. i graduated last spring with my BS and for some reason stuck around for the MS haha

but if you want any info on those jobs PM me. ive done one and two of my friends do the others.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
50k a year right out of college isnt bad.
Not bad??? These days it's almost unheard of. Most new college grads can't find anything except entry-level jobs at $10 an hour these days.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Not bad??? These days it's almost unheard of. Most new college grads can't find anything except entry-level jobs at $10 an hour these days.
for the majority youre totally right. i guess i get a little biased after hearing feedback from most of my college friends. we have a good program here at western though, and some employers are after students before they even graduate

Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Depends on what you went to school for. If you have a libarts degree you're right, it's tough out there. If you graduated with a real skill set its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

That said, keep the job that pays TruckGuy. If you leave you'll be quickly replaced. Retail employees (even low to mid level management) are a dime a dozen and at 22 you don't have any real work history to set you apart from someone who has been working full time for, say 10-15 years.

If I could do it all over again I'd go into petroleum engineering! $$$$$$

- NCSU's $0.02

Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 AM

Does Target have any sort of expansion plans coming down the pipe in the next couple of years? Big chains sometimes relocate experienced managers to new stores, so that could be you ticket down south. I imagine you'd be a good candidate for this considering that you're willing to relocate and don't yet have a family anchoring you to MA. A Costco just went in down the street from me, and just about every worker there was flown in from stores all over the country.

I've seen targets drying up around Houston, but not sure what the future holds for the company and their plans for the south!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:46 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm on my phone but I appreciate all the feedback. I'll go more in depth later when I can get on a computer. I do want to clarify though, I'm gunning for Target, my reason for posting is having other options in case it doesn't work out. I have to interview and nothing is guaranteed and I need them to set everything up to go through with the process. It's harder being an internal hire since you are held to a higher standard. All the reasons listed are why I want to pursue it... Gives me documented experience to boot. Costco is one I may look at too... I just want some backups. Plus interview experience just makes everything easier.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 PM
One of the Assistant managers I used to work with was from Target. He moved to Tractor Supply Co. because Target was driving him crazy. I'm not allowed to say much about policies of TSC but it is well known that promotions are faster and atmosphere more fun, the pay just sucks.

If you were in Central TX I could definitely help but it wouldn't be worth moving halfway across the country for. If I were you, I would give the company a serious consideration if things don't pan out in your current venture.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jdeacon
if you like being outside and around vehicles consider ups driver (eventually moving up to route/shift supervisor)
Pay is great.. Brother in law is a ups driver.. Pulls in $34.00 a hour(been at ups for 12 years,driving for 5).. His friend just started driving he was working part time package handler making 10.00 a hour, now hes at $30 a hour in his first month of driving

Old 07-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Pay is great.. Brother in law is a ups driver.. Pulls in $34.00 a hour(been at ups for 12 years,driving for 5).. His friend just started driving he was working part time package handler making 10.00 a hour, now hes at $30 a hour in his first month of driving
yep, one of my buddies got a job loading trucks right out of high school, after a year or so he was doing ride alongs during the busy times of the year, and shortly after he was driving

Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
John...if Larry the Cable Guy can be a Chippendale dancer so can you!

Quick Reply: Job hunt advice?