Go Back   F150online Forums > Owner's Connection > General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

General Discussion
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Please help! Need to find build date

I need help finding a build date for my truck. It's an '81 F-350 vin:2FDJF37G9BCB24668. I need to replace the radius arm bushings. When I look up the parts, there is a pre 10/31/80 and post 11/1/80 sets for the bushings. Don't know what the difference is. I run the vin thru the decoder here and on other websites and cannot find an exact build date. I've checked inside the door jamb and sticker with the date is either worn off or missing. Is there somewhere else I can look on the truck or another web source to find this. Thanks for looking.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 AM
2000 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F-150 7700
chrmar
The engine block might have a date code stamped on it. If your engine is original to the truck, that might be a starting point.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Nah. That won't work either. I call this thing Frankenford. It's an '81 1 ton Ford cab and chassis. It has a 10' dump bed. The motor is a '63 Dodge 361 4 speed. Alternator and p/s pump are of GM origins. I didn't do it. I inherited it this way. It runs and drives great. If it weren't for the gas mileage I could drive it all day.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 11 FULLsize ole' Ford rigs
Send a message via AIM to adrianspeeder Send a message via MSN to adrianspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to adrianspeeder
Grind off the rivets, drop the radius arms, and then measure the bushings. Grade 8 bolts and washers is all I use to put radius arms back together.

Then go find a Ford motor for that beast,

Adrianspeeder
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder View Post
Grind off the rivets, drop the radius arms, and then measure the bushings. Grade 8 bolts and washers is all I use to put radius arms back together.

Then go find a Ford motor for that beast,

Adrianspeeder
That's what I'm gonna have to do. I did stop by a competent auto parts store yesterday(one where the employees don't still smell like french fries) and they told me there is no cut off date for a different bushing set. I'll figure it out. Honestly, I've not been much of a ford guy. Don't have a problem with em, just always had bowties and mopars. If it runs and I can depend on it, I like it. Thanks.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 11 FULLsize ole' Ford rigs
Send a message via AIM to adrianspeeder Send a message via MSN to adrianspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to adrianspeeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood41 View Post
Honestly, I've not been much of a ford guy. Don't have a problem with em, just always had bowties and mopars. If it runs and I can depend on it, I like it. Thanks.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.
I like the chevy trucks for sure, but never been a dodge guy. Just start twitchin' when especially the nicer older hot rods have 350SBC's dropped in left and right.

Adrianspeeder
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Goat Herder Extraordinaire
1999 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Your VIN would indicate it is a late truck, built after 11/80.
Position 12 = 'B' which means the Canada plant rolled out 100,000 units under 'A'
and your truck was unit 124,668.

Although Ford did build a half million trucks in 1981, this occured at several plants.
Even if Canada put out half of all production (doubtful) that would still only total 250,000.

Canada wouldn't have built 125,000, July -Nov 1980 then the other 125,000 Dec 80 - Jun 81.

Too many clues for this truck being built after Nov 1980.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Good info Raoul. Thanks a lot. I'm gonna start tearing it apart this week time and weather permitting. Got some other things to patch up on it too. Valve covers and p/s pump leaking. Also think I need to bleed the brakes. They're a little spongy at times. I may have an air bubble trapped somewhere. Who knows. After almost 10 years of neglect from the previous owner I'm surprised its in as good of shape as it is.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM