Religious & Political Threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Religious & Political Threads

Guys & Gals -

The religion and politics are getting a tad out of control. Unfortunately, it's due to a specific minority of folks that are continually pot-stirring to get a rise out of someone else.

Here's the deal -- I don't mind them being here but, they're going to remain civil, polite, and lack bashing. If not, they're going to be removed and potentially drive down the path of not having the opportunity to converse about the subjects.

We're a site of Ford Truck enthusiasts. I'd be off my rocker to think that we're only going to discuss calipers and engines thus, I welcome other banter within this forum; let's face it, that's why it's here. But, when the threads start to become problematic and the staff and I are having to deal with problematic posting, bashing, attacks, and blatant disregard for others, we will begin to sway the paradigm...

We're at the edge of the sway right now...

I'll leave it up to you guys... there has been quite a bit of discussion behind the scenes. The discussions range from having a separate Religion and Politics forum - which isn't going to happen unless I'm told to do it - all the way over to not allowing the topic at all thus, removing a vast majority of the subjectivness that would go in to moderating such posts.

The task at hand now is the community's; not ours. If we can keep it civil, sane, and kosher, we'll continue to allow it. Mind you though, our definition of the aforementioned adjectives may be different than what you feel is correct. As such, I'd caution you to err on the extreme side of safety.

I'm open to suggestions, comments, remarks, and other discussions if they're on the topic and lack a derogatory tone.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome, it is getting a tad out of control

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 05-24-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed

Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in. Good job.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Edit:

Yes Sir, I'll Stop.

Last edited by OGTerror; 05-24-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Og, I believe you were being very loquacious in the allegations you made during
your discourse concerning the socio-religious spectrum in America today.

...Ok, now I’m in.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Og, I believe you were being very loquacious in the allegations you made during
your discourse concerning the socio-religious spectrum in America today.

...Ok, now I’m in.
Edit:

Yes Raul you are right.

Last edited by OGTerror; 05-24-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
OG, I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are asking. WE'RE simply asking for civility.

Edit: If you feel we've been unfairly strict on "one side" vs the "other side", well, that is always a possibility. We try to remain impartial, but we are human and cannot claim to be perfect.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 05-24-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
OG, I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are asking. WE'RE simply asking for civility.

- Jack

Sorry Jack my bad, I probably read too much into this:

Originally Posted by Rockpick
I'm open to suggestions, comments, remarks, and other discussions if they're on the topic and lack a derogatory tone.
Edited previous comment with short and to the point agreement.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Just to add to Jack's comment, both sides of the spectrum have complained about being picked on. No one but the moderators know who has been reprimanded and probably don't realize that there have been bannings for both sides of the spectrum. That in itself is part of the problem. Constant complaining about unfair treatment when the moderators know for a fact that is not correct.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
No, OG, I doubt you "read too much into Rockpick's statement". I've always found him completely open to discussion. But, other than what I added in my edit, I simply could not understand your point. I'm sure it's a failing on my part.

In case anyone is wondering, we who moderate this forum absolutely loath having to enter a thread to "damp it down". You might say, "Well, that's your job isn't it?" And, you'd be right, but that does not make it fun - especially when we don't get paid for doing it and continually receive complaints when we DO step in.

And, I'm not looking for sympathy here (because I know I won't get it) but I AM trying to make it clear where our motivations are. We moderate this forum because we think it's a valuable resource.

- Jack

Old 05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
In that OGTerror edited his post, I would like to withdraw my vicious attack and say that I am now completely in, without reservation.

I ask that the above said attack be credited to me for future use against a member of my choosing.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What Jack said...

By the way, OG... can I please coin the term 'Ban Rocket' that was used in your OP? Please? Ahh, heck... like it or not, I assure you that I will use it. LOL!

I really do welcome open conversations but, the religio-political (yes, a new word is born) topics are becoming bothersome. Not necessarily from a content perspective but, from a tone, direction, and posturing standpoint.

Mind you, my original statement isn't directed towards one - or even two - it's directed to anyone that wears that particular size of shoe. Regardless of race, creed, political stance/motivation, or other...

Old 05-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As a somewhat unbiased individual here i would like to offer my take.

I rarely, if ever, post in any of the political/religious threads. I do, however, read and follow them much of the time. I usually do not have any strong feeling one way or the other on most of the subjects. At least not strong enough that I feel the need to have a heated debate with someone on f150online.

I do understand that some of you are very passionate about your beliefs. I feel these subjects (political & religious) are always touchy because they not only affect peoples lives but affect the way they live their lives. It is hard to have a civil debate about something that so deeply affects the way someone lives their life. No matter how logical or rational the points are made for either side, ultimately it is a matter of opinion.

On the other hand you take the debate about the 4.6 and the 5.4. Each engine has its good and bad points. I know some people are very passionate about their opinion on this subject and sometimes there are heated discussions. But at the end of the day does anyone really give hoot as to who prefers which engine? I would say for the majority of us the answer is "NO". Why? because its a hunk of metal that really has no great bearing on our life.

To me it is easier as an authority figure to be objective about the engine debate. Political and religious debates are a different story. This is especially true when the authority figure holds his/her own opinion on the matter. It is hard to ignore that opinion and moderate the debate accordingly.

To me, the only solution would be to remove the religious/political discussions completely from GD. These subjects need their own sub forum and need to have a distinct set of rules that must be followed without exception. If these rules are not followed the thread/post will be deleted without question. To me this will help avoid the issue of one opinion being favored over the other in terms of moderating the forum.

I will close with this...

I have not been on a whole lot of forums. I have been on enough to know that you ladies/gentlemen are a breed above. There is so much knowledge and compassion on this site. I think it is that knowledge and compassion that fuels this place. Lets not have this issue divide us. Lets remember that at the end of the day we are all human beings with one thing in common... We love our freakin trucks!!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
No, OG, I doubt you "read too much into Rockpick's statement". I've always found him completely open to discussion. But, other than what I added in my edit, I simply could not understand your point. I'm sure it's a failing on my part.

In case anyone is wondering, we who moderate this forum absolutely loath having to enter a thread to "damp it down". You might say, "Well, that's your job isn't it?" And, you'd be right, but that does not make it fun - especially when we don't get paid for doing it and continually receive complaints when we DO step in.

And, I'm not looking for sympathy here (because I know I won't get it) but I AM trying to make it clear where our motivations are. We moderate this forum because we think it's a valuable resource.

- Jack
I visit several forums, although fewer than I had been visiting. The reason I quit going to some of the forums, is lack of moderation. Going to those forums was like throwing fresh meat to a pack of wild jackals. It was a good time for a short period but it gets old quickly. Personally I think the moderation on this board is adequate. Too much more and they get boring.

Quick Reply: Religious & Political Threads