One way rental trailers? Large...

Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One way rental trailers? Large...

Has anyone here ever rented an enclosed moving trailer from anyplace besides U-haul? The largest U-haul trailer isn't going to be big enough for my moving needs. I'd like to find a place that rents 18-20' enclosed car trailers, the type that people haul race cars in. If anyone knows where I can rent one of these larger trailers in SoCal I'd appreciate it. Oh yeah and I'm going to be towing it from LA to Texas, so it's got to be a one-way rental.

Thanks,

Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm looking at having to move a lot of antiques from Michigan back to Texas and considering what they want for a one way rental, I'm thinking about buying a nice enclosed trailer for the trip and sell it when I get back. There's a lot of real nice trailers around here for sale and who knows, I might even make money on it. Something to consider. And please, if yer moving here, leave the California state of mind there. We got enough flakes from California now.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I'm looking at having to move a lot of antiques from Michigan back to Texas and considering what they want for a one way rental, I'm thinking about buying a nice enclosed trailer for the trip and sell it when I get back. There's a lot of real nice trailers around here for sale and who knows, I might even make money on it. Something to consider. And please, if yer moving here, leave the California state of mind there. We got enough flakes from California now.
You are a special texan for sure.... wtf are you anyways....

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Swing by Minnesota and you can buy my 32ft car hauler... I bought one for a one way move from Washington state to Minn.... would be nice not to haul it back to Washington to sell I will be there on the 25th of June.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
LA to Texas? Now that's going to be some culture shock! Having lived in Texas for 10+ years, and traveled to California extensively for the same amount of time, all I can say is that YOU ARE MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!

And I have to concur with Labnerd -- leave the "fruit loop" state of mind in So-Cal!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Jeez, ddellwo, don't encourage anybody to move here. Keep it a secret. We've got enough imports now. Won't be long and some zipperhead is going to start up crap like we can't carry guns, hunting is cruel, gas cars are bad, don't walk on the grass, etc. We like Texas just like it is. YOU don't like it, take any major hiway in any direction for at least 24 hours. That'll just about do it....sometimes.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by chris1450
Swing by Minnesota and you can buy my 32ft car hauler... I bought one for a one way move from Washington state to Minn.... would be nice not to haul it back to Washington to sell I will be there on the 25th of June.

how about some pics, I'd like a car hauler

Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 AM
I grew up in Dallas, so I am just making the long awaited return back to my great home state after suffering in CA for the past 9 years! CA is going down the tubes, and all of the job opportunities are going with it, so I'm moving back to my roots and I can't wait.
BTW, I have been looking at Trailers Plus in Fontana, and they seem to have some decent prices for 6x12' enclosed cargo trailers. However I'm not sure if that is going to be big enough? I'd love to have a 7x16' or so, I think that'd be enough room.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM
FWIW, Uhaul one-way rental rates are a good way to check out how good the economy is in an area.

If it is cheap to rent a U-haul from an area, that area is a popular destination for one way trips, and has a surplus of trailers.

If it is expensive to rent from an area, that area has very few trailers because more people are leaving than are coming in.

To demonstrate, if you rent a 6x12 U-haul trailer, and drive it from Pasadena Dallas one way, it will rent for $549.

If you go from Dallas to Pasadena with the same trailer, it is $299.

Shows a lot more people are coming to Dallas than to Pasadena.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Very astute observation.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hit up some of the storage yards. Sometimes the have stuff to sell on leins where people haven't paid their bills.

My brother got a 26 ft boat with trailer for about $1,700 like that. Got it here in SoCal too!

Check it out.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I rented one way from Ryder. Left PA all the way to AZ. Seemed like a good deal.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Funny I found this thread.

I to am going to be moving from NJ to OK and was looking at the uhaul trailers. The 6x12 is tight but may be to small. My wife is going to be driving her Ford Explorer Sport Trax but I'm not real comfortable with her towing anything. I really wish there were bigger trailers out there. As of yet I have been unable to find any.

I see a lot of comments about state opinions but anyone got any comments about the actually topic at hand?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM
One extreme to another. Liberal living to VERY VERY Conservative living

Old 06-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Who me? Nah nope not me. Born and raised in Calif, lived in Texas for several years, lived in Oklahoma for a few more then up to northeast Pa and over in Jersey for the last 8. Now for my wife who has never left the east coast, yeah shock from hell she will get.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One way rental trailers? Large...