Make your own Evap smoke test

Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make your own Evap smoke test

So every one here knows using starting fluid carb cleaner wd-40 what ever doesn’t always help pin point a vacuum leak. I did a few Google searches and all the dam Evap vacuum leak machines are at cheapest $600 no way would I pay that for a simple little machine. I came upon this from an import site. I guess the rice burners do think out side of the box LOL. What do you guys think about the fog juice in the vacuum lines ports and stuff? I personally would think too much of the stuff and you’re going to be throwing some new codes LOL but it’s a sound idea none the less

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216701

Last edited by Bluejay; 03-26-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: DO NOT CIRCUMVENT THE LANGUAGE FILTER
Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Auto Zone sells cheap smoke test kits as well. Pretty neet.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah I read that on other posts as well. The only thing is I called my local AZ and searched the hell out of there web site phrasing it a few different ways with no results. Could you post a link for me or give me the PH# to the local AZ near you that does sell them. Thanks
Originally Posted by jbrew
Auto Zone sells cheap smoke test kits as well. Pretty neet.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's pretty sporty for like $50 invested.

I would be kinda worried about the fog stuff causing harm, but I haven't tried it personally so I dunno. I have a Redline smoke machine, and it uses mineral oil to generate smoke so I guess the glycol in the fog solution shouldn't hurt.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by nonwoven29
Yeah I read that on other posts as well. The only thing is I called my local AZ and searched the hell out of there web site phrasing it a few different ways with no results. Could you post a link for me or give me the PH# to the local AZ near you that does sell them. Thanks
I've seen them here -

AutoZone is located at 2440 Grand Riv Howell, MI. Phone: 517-546-4341.

In their tools isle, next to their thread repair kits if you call. Their about $20 if I recall correctly.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-26-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks JB all call them for the part # thanks
Originally Posted by jbrew
I've seen them here -

AutoZone is located at 2440 Grand Riv Howell, MI. Phone: 517-546-4341.

In their tools isle, next to their thread repair kits if you call. Their about $20 if I recall correctly.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 PM
I just called them there in MI the guy said they didn’t carey them that he knows of then he said not at this store. I told a buddy online said hes seen them there in the tool isle for like $20. The guy kind of sounds like the chumps over here it’s like they don’t want to take the time to ask some one else in the store or check. Oh well Ill go into the local AZ here and ask for Mgr and if no dice ill try to find a fog machine at Wally worldQUOTE=nonwoven29;4152879]Thanks JB all call them for the part # thanks[/QUOTE]

Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 PM

I even gave instructions where down the tool isle they are. Well, they even sell refills of some sort for it. I never bought one, -haven't had a reason to yet.

I use a cheap little Mighty Vac, - no smoke, just watch the gauge for leak down. Never had a leak I couldn't find.

I noticed Harbor Freight has an all brass vac tester cheaper than what I paid for a plastic Mighty Vac. I paid between 20 and 30 bucks for mine.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I didn’t have time to go in person to the Fernley AZ but I did fail to tell him where in the tool isle you said you saw it. I will call your AZ again and tell them exactly where it was seen maybe this will ring the bell in one of the pros at AZ head LOL. I’ve used leak downs before at work but really like the whole idea of a visual. Thanks for the leads on HF cost only becomes a factor when I have to pay more then a $100 for a stupid smoke machine WTF $600 was the cheapest I saw on the net no way in hell. Thanks for all your Help Bro.
John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Make your own Evap smoke test