Apartment scam??? Help please

Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment scam??? Help please

So im looking to rent a place in northern jersey. I found a nice house really cheap. I emailed the person and this is what i got

Hi,
I did get your response concerning the AD I posted on craigslist. The house is still available but presently I'm not around.. I did bid for a portion of petroleum land sometimes ago in West Africa and fortunately I won the bidding so I have to move quickly down to Africa to have my company set up because I will still have to rebid for it in the next 10 years. I came over here with my Husband, we both bought the house when we got married. As soon as we settle down here I had a thought of selling the house so I have to look for an agent, after getting one, we got a deal but later my husband advised against that. He said we may not be able to win the bidding next time, in other to keep our head when we return that we have to keep the house. I reasoned with him and accepted his advise. So I contacted the agent back and requested for my keys and documents. Later we decided to have the house rent out, we would have give the same agent this job also but the truth of the matter is that the agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him later. If you notice, you will discovered that the price we are offering is far below standard price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. I know there is no way I can be sure that you are the right person to live in the house because we won't be able to see physical before sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the space. But I just had a feeling that anyone who knows what it takes to put the kind of structure down should know that maintaining a building is mandatory, so if you belief you can take good care of the house and handle it like yours then I will be more than happy to let you rent the house.Please if you are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the information below for record purpose

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
Full Name______________________________________________ ____ Home Phone ( ) ________________________
Date of Birth_________________________________
Other Phone ( ) ___________________
Current Address_______________________________Apt#________ City__________________ State______ Zip________
Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________Phone ( ) ____________________________
Are you married____________________________
How many people will be living in the house____________________________ Do you have a pet____________________________ Do you have a car____________________________ Occupation____________________________
Move In Date____________________________ How soon can you pay the deposit----------------------------------

TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY HOUSE FROM THE OUTSIDE AND IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING GET THE APPLICATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME SO THAT I CAN SHIP MY KEYS TO YOU FOR YOU BE ABLE TO GO AND LOOK AT THE INSIDE OR MOVE IN IMMEDIATELY. I WOULD HAVE REALLY LOVE TO SHIP THE KEYS TO SOMEONE IN STATE BUT I DON'T HAVE ANYBODY THERE RIGHT NOW AND I DON'T WANT TO MAKE USE OF ANY THIRD PARTY THAT IS WHY AM HANDLING MY PROPERTY MYSELF..

House Address
9 Holly Court
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
Monthly Fee ; $800
Security Deposit: $500
Pets Allowed:
Available :Available Now for move in.

So pls get back to me today.
I await your reply ASAP.
June S Lordi
contact Number . 011-234-805-803-9541 & +234-702-963-2643

Im very hesitant on sending a reply. Do you gus think this is legit or a scam to get $500? Please help.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 PM
scam all over it, dont buy it, find another place

Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What is to keep them from taking your $500 deposit and you never getting the keys. I would keep looking.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM
SCAM! First of all where in NJ is rent only $800, especially for a house? And most of Bloomfield is pretty nice as far as I know. But yeah definitely, the way it is written is a scam. Keep looking and good luck. You'll find something better for you.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Move further up towards sussex county no scams there

Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
If at any point they make any sort of mention of being out of the country (especially Africa) it's almost guaranteed to be a scam. If anything you should let local PD know about it and make sure it gets flagged on CL.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep out of country=scam......craigslist is ridiculous with the amount of scams on there..i posted a add "LOOKING FOR" a motor and transmission and i get emails from people wanting to "buy my vehicle"

Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Suspended
What the (insert many cuss words here)!! That is definitely a scam. Even if it wasn't, you have no way of doing a walk through with the owner to do your initial inspection to decide if you truly want the place or not. For all you know, the place is a dump. Have you driven by the place? Does it have a for sale sign on the property? If so call the rep on the sign and ask if they know June S. Lordi or ask the people that live their now, if any. Tell the lady you need to verify who she says she is and that she is the owner of the property; she needs to send copies of documents proving this. If she can't do these things for you then you should help your fellow Craigslist shoppers and report her ad as a scam so no one else is duped.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Suspended
What is the address of the house, if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to look this lady up.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Suspended
Never mind, I'm a dummy; I see it's at the bottom of your post. I'll try to look it up.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the help I'm currently deployed but I will be home soon. I've been setting a few places up so when I get back I can go look and decide which one. I wouldn't have sent her the money I just wanted to see what others think.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Always trust that first instinct. There are SO MANY scams running now days you really have to watch out for yourself. No one else is going to make sure you dont get screwed. Even when dealing with "legit" people you have to watch your ***. They want to screw you over. If you give them an opening theyll do it.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't find it on google maps.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's 100% legit. They are just in West Africa at the moment.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, scam. I just googled the property.. it was just recently up for sale for $520k. There is no way they are renting that property for $800/mo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apartment scam??? Help please