Click it Or Ticket, YaY!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by birddog_61
Or I can do like I have been doing for years, do what I want and pay the fine if I get one. Its not that I don't think that they can take taxes just about however they want I just simply don't agree with the way they are doing it. Why discriminate against smokers or drinkers or anything else that draws a Sin Tax.
Why discriminate against anything that draws a Sin Tax ?

Because those who participate in the sin, will pay it time and time again. you said it best :
I can do like I have been doing for years, do what I want and pay the fine if I get one
If you really had a problem with the tax, you would do something to change paying it.

Local elections have referendums on increasing taxes for schools and libraries and the likes. If you don't want to pay the tax, you vote it down.

You don't want the tax for items in the sin tax category, you vote it down by not doing it. Actually it is easier with the sin items, there is only one vote needed to vote it down, yours.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Why discriminate against anything that draws a Sin Tax ?

Because those who participate in the sin, will pay it time and time again. you said it best :

If you really had a problem with the tax, you would do something to change paying it.

Local elections have referendums on increasing taxes for schools and libraries and the likes. If you don't want to pay the tax, you vote it down.

You don't want the tax for items in the sin tax category, you vote it down by not doing it. Actually it is easier with the sin items, there is only one vote needed to vote it down, yours.
The point is I think its wrong to tax for a "SIN" that hurts no one but the person doing it. Basicly sin tax mean they don't think you should be doing that but we can't make it illegal so we are going to try and make it so expensive that its now impossible for you to do. So basically the government is trying to make your decisions for you and that is wrong.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 AM
So basically the government is trying to make your decisions for you and that is wrong.
Nowhere does the constitution say, "You have a God-given right to smoke tobacco." or, "The right to drink beer shall go unimpeded."

You've heard the saying, "you have to pay to play" right? I see no difference here. If you don't want to pay a tax, then don't smoke or drink (in this example).

You could always grow your own tobacco, process it and make your own cigarettes, or you could homebrew your own booze and not have to pay any taxes.

- NCSU

Edited to add: It was your elected officials who enacted those sin taxes, so I don't understand why you have such a fundamental issue with them. I understand disagreeing, but it's not like anyone's done anything that goes against the founding principles of the country.

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 05-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Nowhere does the constitution say, "You have a God-given right to smoke tobacco." or, "The right to drink beer shall go unimpeded."

You've heard the saying, "you have to pay to play" right? I see no difference here. If you don't want to pay a tax, then don't smoke or drink (in this example).

You could always grow your own tobacco, process it and make your own cigarettes, or you could homebrew your own booze and not have to pay any taxes.

- NCSU

Edited to add: It was your elected officials who enacted those sin taxes, so I don't understand why you have such a fundamental issue with them. I understand disagreeing, but it's not like anyone's done anything that goes against the founding principles of the country.
I never said I had a god given right to smoke or drink, I said I don't like the government trying to tax me into doing what they want. I think its up to the individual to decide if he or she wants to smoke or drink, and its their body so let them do what they wan't with it. BTW im 23 so I was too young to vote against the clowns that put this laws and policys into place.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
The point is I think its wrong to tax for a "SIN" that hurts no one but the person doing it. Basicly sin tax mean they don't think you should be doing that but we can't make it illegal so we are going to try and make it so expensive that its now impossible for you to do. So basically the government is trying to make your decisions for you and that is wrong.
It has been clearly documented that smoking hurts others around those that are smoking. Your thought process on the smoking SIN tax is faulted...

Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I ALWAYS wear a seat belt. Not only do I slide side-to-side on my vinyl bench seat if I don't, its just habit and being a VFF its kinda required or if we get in an accident, we get stiffed with the bill.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
It has been clearly documented that smoking hurts others around those that are smoking. Your thought process on the smoking SIN tax is faulted...
Its also clearly documented that second hand smoke is harmless. Your thought process on smoking in general is faulted.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I never said I had a god given right to smoke or drink, I said I don't like the government trying to tax me into doing what they want. I think its up to the individual to decide if he or she wants to smoke or drink, and its their body so let them do what they wan't with it. BTW im 23 so I was too young to vote against the clowns that put this laws and policys into place.
Interesting. Like I said, the gov't isn't forcing you to smoke, so the tax is optional. I'd expect to hear you complain about income tax too with that kind of attitude.

Maybe when you're a little older you'll understand a little more.

Originally Posted by Raptor05121
I ALWAYS wear a seat belt. Not only do I slide side-to-side on my vinyl bench seat if I don't...
Put some meat on your bones boy!

Its also clearly documented that second hand smoke is harmless. Your thought process on smoking in general is faulted.
Really? Where did you find that "clearly documented" information?

From this site: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...et/Tobacco/ETS
I found this:

Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?

Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP), the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) (1, 3, 5).

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults (4). Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke (2). The Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases a nonsmoker’s chances of developing lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent (4).

Some research suggests that secondhand smoke may increase the risk of breast cancer, nasal sinus cavity cancer, and nasopharyngeal cancer in adults, and leukemia, lymphoma, and brain tumors in children (4). Additional research is needed to learn whether a link exists between secondhand smoke exposure and these cancers.
The 3000 deaths per year is from the National Cancer Institute. Cancer Progress Report 2003. Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2004

The CDC also has data on second hand smoke...
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...moke/index.htm

Hell, even Philip Morris admits it!!
http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/cm...e/default.aspx

Come on now.... your credibility is falling....

- NCSU

Old 05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
You can't possibly be serious???

Put the crack pipe down, dude...second hand crack smoke kills too, btw.

Thanks for the sig quote. Brilliant.

Last edited by jimmyv13; 05-29-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
and
I never said I had a god given right to smoke or drink, I said I don't like the government trying to tax me into doing what they want. I think its up to the individual to decide if he or she wants to smoke or drink, and its their body so let them do what they want with it. BTW im 23 so I was too young to vote against the clowns that put this laws and policies into place.
You seem to have gotten off track about the seat belt law. Answered your question, and now you are sticking to the tax part...

They are not taxing you to do what they want, they are taxing you more, so you have a choice to pay the taxes, and they know most will not change, so it is an easy tax to collect ( at point of purchase ). They are still giving you the right to choose, I don't see how you think they are making a decision for you.

Wait until the RUT on gas gets to the point of where it is every where else in the world. What are you going to say then, they are not wanting you to drive ? Now that is complete BS ( to quote you )

They already tried making the decision for the people, drinking was illegal in the history of the country. It did not work out well, and they figured out how to make it work in the revenue side of things.

BTW : you have had more than 1 chance to get involved with the election process being 23, and get them out of office.
Can't use that excuse unless you are <=17.
Again it would take more then casting 1 vote on your part to actually make a change happen, can't leave it up to everyone else.

You are kidding right ?
That is the stupidest thing I have heard all week.
I would go as far to say all of Q2CY09 so far.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 05-29-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Suspended
How does not wearing a seatbelt cause any possible harm to anyone other than that person? Its the persons decision. The laws shouldnt force people to not hurt themselves. There isnt a law that prevents people from doing stupid stuff. For example, should people get a ticket when their little for jumping off the roof onto a trampoline and into a pool? Is it dangerous sure. Is it illegal, no.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about someone that never smokes in public?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Have you ever been anywhere NEAR anyone who smokes even if they aren't smoking at that present time? It's in their clothes, their hair, everything...god forbid they open their mouth to say anything to you. If you smoke and you don't think you smell, you really do...horribly.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Something that has been overlooked so far in this thread - if you get in a crash that's bad enough to set off the airbags and you aren't wearing a belt, that will cause MAJOR problems. If you don't want to wear your belt, disable your airbags too.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you ever been anywhere NEAR anyone who smokes even if they aren't smoking at that present time? It's in their clothes, their hair, everything...god forbid they open their mouth to say anything to you. If you smoke and you don't think you smell, you really do...horribly.
Yes smokers smell very bad...I know this. But this is not about smell since the smell does not effect your health. There are many more odors that are offensive from people. I was just at the Indy 500 last weekend and BO and poop odor was the worst I've ever incountered in my 10 years of going.

I cannot stand talking to people after they have been drinking coffee. I'd rather talk to a smoker. Smell is just too subjective.

Quick Reply: Click it Or Ticket, YaY!