Monster Truck show and a 2 year old...Should I bring him?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monster Truck show and a 2 year old...Should I bring him?

Fellas,

My son is 2 and a half & he LOVES watching Bullrun, Monster Truck Shows, the movie Cars, etc... Anything with 4 wheels and an engine and he is all over it. My wife stays at home with our 5 year old and 2 year old. She is constantly putting on the Speed channel, he watches Trucks with me, you get the idea.

Anyway, I talked to her about bringing him to a Monster Truck Show, because pick ups are by far his vehicle of choice. My question is, I have never been to one and I know they are loud. There is no way he would sit through this thing with ear plugs. So, do you think he is too young to attend one and would it be too loud for him, or have any of you other guys brought your kids to these things. And when I say kids, I'm talking about kids the same age as my son or close to that age. Again, he's only 2 and a half and I know he would love it, but I just worry about it being too loud for him... Thoughts?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I dont have any kids but i know when i went to one it was a freaking blast and i was 20 years old then, so i know he would love it, but it is pretty loud but i dont think it would bother him he would be having to much fun

Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would be too much for his age. Television is different, those things are so loud they vibrate your insides. I don't think he would like them any after that. But all kids are different.

Last edited by Tumba; 05-21-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep in mind that a young kids hearing is far more sensitive than an adults, so it wouldn't surprise me if it would hurt his ears.

Also, just my opinion, but I think 2-years is a tad young for that -- do you really think he has the attention span to sit through more than a half hour of it?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I would bring him why not... Just make sure you get him some good hearing protection and he should be ok... That is the most important thing for his age, MAKE SURE HE IS WEARING THE HEARING PROTECTION....

Have a great time

James

Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 PM
i think the loud noise would be too much. he would need some really good ear protection.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
I think not... plus if you have to ask it is probably not a good idea. If he gets hearing damage it could affect him for the rest of his life perhaps. Do you or he want to live with that?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
The possible hearing damage is something to be concerned about. I understand your trepidation that he may want to wear the ear protection. Maybe you can wear it too? So he doesn't feel odd? It's just an idea. Maybe get some earplugs and let him get used to them before you go, too.

Worst case scenario, if you go and you really think it's too loud and he won't wear the earplugs... leave.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
-- do you really think he has the attention span to sit through more than a half hour of it?
Surprisingly, yes. His facination with autos (trucks in particular) is out of control. I've never seen anything like it before. He'll name family and friends based on the kind of car they drive. If we pass a Dodge Ram on the road, "That's Bob's truck", because he met Bob once and remembered he drove a Ram. He is glued to my lap when I'm on this site also just to look at everyone's autosig. He watched same On Demand Monster Truck Show 4 times a day for weeks on end until they took it off. Then threw a fit because he couldn't watch it anymore.

Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
I think not... plus if you have to ask it is probably not a good idea. If he gets hearing damage it could affect him for the rest of his life perhaps. Do you or he want to live with that?
I asked because I don't know how loud they are, I've never been to one and he seems to love them, and I love him. I'll do anything for my kids. Obviously safety is my biggest concern or I wouldn't have asked what everyone's thoughts were. Yes, I want to live with handicapping my son for the rest of his life.

So, if I was able to get him really good ear protection and get him use to wearing it beforehand, that seems like it may work. I wouldn’t bring him without it as it seems to be too dangerous and risky. I didn't even know this until 5 minutes ago but my wife just said that she went to one when she was 5 back in the day without ear protection and seems to think he would be OK if he had it. If he starts getting cranky or doesn’t seem to want to wear the protection, we could always leave I guess.

Last edited by jk007; 05-20-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know he's 2 1/2, but just talk to him about it. Tell him they are much louder in person than on TV and he will have to wear earplugs or ear muffs. Heck, "practice" for the show by turning the TV way up and having him put on the hearing protection. My son is the same way with motorcycles. We went to our first SX in Atlanta when he was 3 and he loved it. 20 450cc four strokes are pretty freaking loud inside a domed stadium but not as loud as a couple of monster trucks.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally wouldn't. Go by yourself and experiance it. If he doesn't go now he won't miss it. When he is older (5-6) he will be non the wiser. Not that it will ever happen again, but here in Seattle last year a very young boy got hit in the head with a piece of flying truck part... it killed him. The nitro they burn also is a bad irritant. He may not like that to much. I think he is too young for the real life reality of it all. He will have a lot of years to enjoy it.. later.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 AM
I went to one a few years ago when I was still in Nashville and they are very loud. There was a family with small kids in front of me and they had to leave after about 20 minutes because one of the kids was crying nonstop. The good thing is the trucks were loud enough that I couldn't here them lol.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ear plugs or muffs and go dude. why not!? i was a baby sleepin through monster trucks from what i was told.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 AM
ive gone a bunch of times yes it is loud 572's open headers X's how ever many trucks are there. ive never wore ear protection but i started goin when i was 13 never botherd me none. but ear plugs or muffs would prob be good for his age. i dont think the smell was that bad from what i remberd they do use race fuel but you cant smell it unless your really close. i say take him its a blast watching all those truck. try and get soem pit passes so you can get him up close to the trucks!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
i think the loud noise would be too much. he would need some really good ear protection.
Agreed. They're VERY loud, especially if it's an indoor arena. He'll grow up quick enough and there will be other shows you can take him to.

The few I've been to were moderately rowdy too... drunks and yelling rednecks and whatnot. Not really a good place for a 2 year old in my opinion.

Kinda like parents who bring their little kids to the bar, that always makes me go

Then again, that just might have been the shows I went to.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 05-21-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Monster Truck show and a 2 year old...Should I bring him?