Fog lights legal during day?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-1999, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fog lights legal during day?

I was just wondering, are there any laws about when and where you can and cannot use fog lamps? Are they legal anytime, or are you supposed to only use them during adverse weather? Oh yeah, I live in California since laws might vary from state to state.

Old 08-26-1999, 05:05 PM
Guess it's legal here in NC. I hate to see them in oncoming traffic, especially at night. Headlights make you visible. Fog lights are irritating unless the weather's bad; like bikes w/ high beams during the day.

------------------
97 F150 XLT SC, 4X4 ORP Long bed, RHINO Liner

Old 08-26-1999, 08:48 PM
Talking

I've heard some where that they were illegal to have on during the day, depending on weather conditions. As for me, I love driving at night with em on, I think it looks cool. Atleast it looks good when I see one with em on at night.

------------------
Stone Cold, Black 98 Styleside S/C F150 4x4 0RP 5.4 3.55ls,Magnum bug shield,Grizzly roll bar,
2 Baja lights, 4 165 watt KC lights (fun to play with on weekends), Manik grille guard,Westin step bars,Sonic aluminum treadplate 36" tool box, Flowmaster dual exhaust, K/N air filter, 265/75/16 BFG AT/S, American Racing Baja wheels, a F150 Online sticker, and a Stone Cold sticker on the front windshield.
. More to come for Stone Cold: Ramsey winch will be on it real soon (hopefully), 2 more KC lights, Rancho shocks. If you would like to see pics, email me at mudder46@hotmail.com or go to http://www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index2a.html

Old 08-26-1999, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Here in SC anything goes.
Not even any annual vehicle inspections.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4l reg cab
4 wheel disc/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador red 2tone
3.55 gears
255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers (excellent sound)
Sherwood amp
subwoofer coming soon
More mods as funds become avalible.

Old 08-26-1999, 09:59 PM
Talking

54regcab,

I miss that about SC. They stopped the inspections right before I left. Here in PA they still do them annually, seems like a waste of time considering you can go get one out of a junkyard or just drive at night.

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

Old 08-26-1999, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Well everybody knew a mechanic that would slap a sticker on the window for $3.00 anyway so what was the use?

------------------
99 XLT 5.4l reg cab
4 wheel disc/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador red 2tone
3.55 gears
255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers (excellent sound)
Sherwood amp
subwoofer coming soon
More mods as funds become avalible.

Old 08-27-1999, 12:13 AM
54regcab and Triton46, what are these "inspections" you're talking about? Anyway, guess I'll just stop by the CHP office some day and ask them. I'll post the answer here.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 08-27-1999, 08:08 AM
Red face

I'm pretty sure that in most states they are illegal except for inclement weather. I beleive that is why the "factory" usually ties them to the low beams only. Of course, thats easy to bypass. It's also illegal in most states to drive with your parking lights on. Unfortunately, these like other irritating things people do are usually unenforced (like cruising in the *%&#ing lefthand lane!) Here is an interesting one too ... In West Virginia, if the weather warrants using your wipers, you have to have your headlights on too. State law. Probably another one not being enforced.

Old 08-27-1999, 09:28 AM
Talking

Everyone know's you have to wear a seatbelt but down here, especially around the beach, most people will put their kids and grandma in the bed of their pick-up. The dog and beer cooler are up front

Old 08-27-1999, 11:14 AM
Smile

That's true Tina,

But you should ensure your cooler is properly secured.

Mark G

------------------
'98 XLT 4.6 SC 4x2,
Black SB flareside,
ARE Tonneau,
Lined,
Tinted,
Deflected,
Mini-Disked,
Amped,
Subbed 2x12,
K&Ned,
B-B-B-M-F
Goin' thru tires fast.

Old 08-27-1999, 02:10 PM
Thumbs down

Something I really hate is when I'm driving in the so-called fast lane and the guy in front of me makes a right hand turn. WHERE do they learn to drive??

Old 08-27-1999, 02:45 PM
I have GTS headlight covers on my truck, and keep them on full time in the city. I keep my fog lights at night, just to warn other vehicles that I'm there. The GTS covers don't blind the drivers ahead of me as bad, when I pull up to a car at a light, and have my headlights shining threw there rear window.

------------------
'98 F-150 XLT Reg. Cab Flareside 4x4, Black, 5.4l, 3.55LS, tow package, K&N, GTS headlight covers, Alpine changer w/FM mod, Clifford alarm system w/keyless entry & starter disable // Future considerations: 285/75/r16 Mud Terrain BFG's, bed mat, tonneau cover, suspension lift.

Old 08-28-1999, 12:41 AM
Prowler; I'll agree with you, I hate the idiots who drive with parking lights on. They probably think they're cool. I guess they are poor-man's daytime running lights.

But actually, I was talking about this earlier today with a friend. If I were a cop, I would drive around and be super-**** on tickets. Just give tickets for every little driving infraction I saw; tinted front windows, those blue headlights (not HID), cars that are too low, the fore mentioned poor-man's daytime running lights, not using your blinkers, etc. Gesh, I think I need to start a new thread; "Things other idiots do on the road that pisses you off!"

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 08-29-1999, 02:33 PM
Question

Speaking of Fog Lights, Has anyone had any luck at getting them to come on as daytime running lights? Or has anyone found the location of the fog lamp relay? I have a 97 and it seems a person needs to ground one side of the coil and put the other side to an on with ignition source. But i can't find the thing. Kind of the the back two spark plugs on my 4.6.

Old 09-06-1999, 11:28 PM
Ok, I found the answer to my question. On the way out of town for the Labor Day weekend I stopped by the CHP office. As far as usage is concerned, you can use fog lamps anytime and anywhere with one exception. If your fog lamps are on, your low beams MUST be on. You cannot drive with just fog lamps on, or fog lamps and high beams (but the factory design of the F150 ensures this is true). There are laws about mounting and also max. brightness. But I didn't ask about these because I'm assuming the factory fog lamps are mounted legally and not too bright. Now the one thing to remember, these are according to the California Highway Patrol. So if you live elsewhere check with your local law agencies.

------------------

Quick Reply: Fog lights legal during day?