'08-'09 Taurus X, or Freestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question '08-'09 Taurus X, or Freestyle?

It looks like I'll be selling my '94 T'bird. I've had her for eleven years and it's been great. But I don't think I've put 500 miles on her since I've bought the truck. I'm paying insurance for a car that's not being driven, and just sitting there is not good for it. It's an excellent car and has been well kept. But it's time. My mother is up in her years now and has a doctors appointment pretty much every week. Usually more. Now she has a spot on her lung that may be cancer. So I need a vehicle that is easy for her to get in and out of. The truck is too high, and the last time I had her in the T'bird she had a hard time getting out of it because it sits low. My sister has been taking her around for a while, but she has an old '93 Plymouth Acclaim that is a little rough, and smells like smoke, because, well, she smokes. I need to get a vehicle that is easier for her to get in and out of. A minivan I don't want. So I've been looking on line to see what's out there. I initially came across the Freestyle (2005-07). It looked to be about what I needed. But it has the Constant Variable Transmission. I've read mixed reviews on it. Except for maybe being a bit under powered, the car itself seems to be well praised, but mixed reviews on the Trans's operation. After a little bit more research and I then discovered the '08-'09 Taurus X. It's the improved updated Freestyle. More power, 6-speed tranny, front or AWD. I would like an AWD but that's not mandatory. I looked at the specs for the Equinox, but it's not nearly as well equipped. Plus it looks a bit higher. The Freestyle is within my price range, But I'd rather move up to the Taurus X. I've found a few with a little higher mileage that is within my range, I'd like to stay around 6,000 or less if possible. After being sooo long winded, has anyone had any experience with the Taurus X? Or maybe the Freestyle? If I do choose a Freestyle It will be an '07. Thanks for any input or experience you can give

Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had both as rental cars over the years. The first time I drove a Freestyle I hated it -- it just seemed to drive "funny" to me. It wasn't until later that I found out it had the CVT which explains why I thought it drove weird. My SIL has a Chrysler product with the same kind of transmission and it drives the same way that old Freestyle did -- hate it!

The Taurus X was an improvement in terms of drivetrain, but both vehicles made me feel as if I was going down the road in a long, narrow tube that was difficult to see out and around. The center of gravity in that 500/Freestyle/Taurus chassis is also very high -- it feels more like you're driving a minivan than a car to me.

I've also had the Edge a few times as a rental vehicle and I have absolutely LOVED them -- not sure if they'd fit into your budget, but I would recommend giving that car a look over the Freestyle/Taurus X any day of the week!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Cool

Thanks. I was looking up some specs on the '07-'09 Edge last night. It may be a possibility. Prices are about the same. In terms of standard equipment, they aren't equipped nearly as nice as the Taurus X. My main concern is how easy it will be for my mom to get in/out of the vehicle. My thinking is if I can find a vehicle where she can just pretty much slide into it, would make it easy for her. During the holidays she went with my younger sister to visit some family. She has an '11 Escape V6 with AWD. My mom said she still had to "climb" a bit to get into it. So I thought, at least looking at some pics, that the Taurus X might be a good fit. I've found a few of them and a few Edges last night close by. I'm gonna go take a look. Maybe tomorrow. It's like 6% out with a WC of -9%........Burrrrrrr. Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend (family) has a Freestyle that I've spent quite a bit of time in over the years, and I always thought of them as a non-ghey minivan because they have regular doors. They haven't had any issues worth b*tching to me about, for what that's worth. I think they're fine.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I know you don't want a minivan, but the easiest vehicle out there for someone with limited mobility to get in and out of is a Honda Odyssey. Yes, I know it isn't a Ford but it's a pretty reliable vehicle.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM
The Continuously Terrible Transmition. THE POOREST excuse for a transmition I've ever seen. I've owned three of them and never again. One in a Nissan Sentra and two Jeep Patriots. The CVT will spin off about 20% of an engine's power into thin air. Engines mated to CVT's are programmed to keep load and torque out of the transmition. Full throttle operation is a joke. Flooring a CVT brings a chorus of engine revs and noise and very little power. To achieve the most passing power it was common for me to apply 100% throttle and then back the power off until the CVT "grabbed". I simply can't see the fact that useless engine revving is beneficial to mileage. Long term durability is questionable at best. The single largest CVT manufacturer JATCO is largely owned by Nissan which may explain Nissan's commitment to the CVT. The entire Nissan line carries a CVT except the Frontier and the Titan.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Cool

Thanks guys. All good info I can use. I must admit that the CVT does bother me a bit. About 1/2 to 3/4 of the ads for a Freestyle usually state "As-Is". One ad even stated a trans. issue. "As-Is", is usually expected when buying a used vehicle anyway. But when it's stated right at the onset.....A couple are at New car dealers. Most are at "Buy here-Pay Here" dealers. I bought my "94 T'bird at one and it's been great for over eleven years. And my Dad and I sold cars this way at two car lots he had back in the late 70's early eighty's. The reason I want to stick with a Ford is because that is what I am the most familiar with, and like. I researched the Equinox and just don't like it. Although I appreciate the suggestion, a foreign vehicle is not for me. By most accounts the Freestyle appears to be a decent vehicle. Most of the reviews, and complaints are about the performance of CVT. I need to get out and look at a few models. I'm leaning towards the Taurus X. More power, 6-speed trans.. If I can find a nice low mileage '06-'07 Freestyle I may pop for that. I'll also take a look at a Edge to see how it compares. Odd as it may sound, ease of entry/exit is about the most important. So we'll see. Thanks again!.....

Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 PM

Nice to see someone stick to domestic only

Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM
glc
Not trying to open a can of worms, but the Odyssey is a creation of American Honda Motor Company based in Torrance, California and is built in Alabama. It has just as much domestic content as anything else these days.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Cool

I here that a lot. I don't mean to disrespect you, but I don't buy it. Lets say, for instance , Chevrolet decides to move and run the Corvette/Cadillac plant into Japan or Germany. Would they then be considered a domestic vehicle of Japan? Or a domestic vehicle of Germany? I think that it would likely be considered a U.S. vehicle that is "Built" in Japan, or Germany. Not a Japanese or German vehicle.....Just saying, They are not Based in the U.S.A.. Is it time to go Fish now?........

Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Avoid the Freestyle like it has the plague. The car is a fantastic car to drive. Those who own them, love them. They have a stellar pedigree. One of the most solid cars Ford has made in the past 20 years.

With the exception of that freakin' CVT transmission.

Stick with the Taurus X where they went to a convetional tranny.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
I have a 06 500 awd limited with the CVT and have had it for 154,000 miles and have never had a problem with it. i changed one wheel bearing and brakes in this time. The car gets 27-29 mpg on the highway and around 21-23 in the city. It sure is not a race car but gets the job done comfortably and with every option available i am not complaining one bit. and you can pick one up at a great price. love the car.. go ford....

Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Cool

Welp. I bought a car. But not what I originally set out to get. I looked at nine cars of varying types and styles. First I looked an '08 Taurus X SEL at a dealer. 118,000 miles. Looked nice in the ad. Body was nice except tail light was cracked, needed tires and brakes, passenger seat cushion had a hole in it. But the real killer was it smelled like Dog. Yuk! Pass. Next was an '06 Freestyle SEL. It just looked worn out, tires, brakes, etc.. Pass. Looked at an '05 Sable LS Premium with 92,000 miles, one owner. Had a miss during the test drive and the CEL light came on. Tires, brakes, oil leak. Pass. Another '05 Sable LS. interior worn out and wanted way too much. Pass. Then, I looked at a real nice '05 Five Hundred SEL, AWD, sunroof, adj. pedals, elect. climate control. One owner, 93,000 miles, needed nothing. Just couldn't get the dealer down to my price which was 6,000 + tax, etc.. Seen plenty on line like it in that range, just 50 miles plus away from me. So I let that one go. A shame. Then looked at an '04 Impala LT. Was nice enough, tires fair, until I put it in gear and the engine jumped. Pass. Looked at an '05 Caddy CTS. Couldn't hardly get into the darn thing. And the seats were uncomfortable as heck. Even didn't start it. Pass. OK, so, what did I buy? I ended up buying an '02 Mercury Grand Marquis LS-Ultimate. It was at a local dealer. It was literally just traded in the weekend before at Ford place. One owner with 90,000 miles. Needed nothing. It was an older couple and the car sat a lot for the past few years so they traded it for a smaller car. I took it out for a drive and it had a slight miss. I told the sales guy if he got the miss fixed I'd talk a deal. This was on a Friday. I get a call on Monday saying they couldn't find a miss. I insisted it did. But it was such a nice car I went back for another drive with the sales guy with me. Guess what? I got it to miss. HA! So, I worked a deal. The price was 5,977.00 plus tax, title, etc.. I said, get it checked for the intermitant miss, I'll pay for a plug change/tune up (because it has been sitting), and give it to me for 5,000.00 All In and we have a deal. The deal was accepted. Price was $4,420.00 + tax, title, etc. which made it $5,000.00. But because it wasn't showing any CEL codes, the Service manager said take it and drive it, and if/when the CEL comes on, bring it in and we'll see what it is. So I agreed. About two days later the inter. miss came back and the CEL came on. I took it in. It showed a misfire on #3. They replaced #3 plug and coil, I paid a reduced price of $170.00 bucks and all is good...........This car rides sooooooo nice.....

Last edited by Scarlet; 02-14-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I know you don't want a minivan, but the easiest vehicle out there for someone with limited mobility to get in and out of is a Honda Odyssey. Yes, I know it isn't a Ford but it's a pretty reliable vehicle.
I spent the night in Toronto in Feb 2002. While there I watched a call-in car repair type tv show. The mechanics on the show that night owned transmission shops. Someone called in and asked about the Honda Odyssey transmission failing at about 60k KM. They both smiled knowingly and said that Honda had a problem with the Odyssey transmission and they all tended to fail around 60k KM. I suspect Honda beefed up the transmission since then but I don't know when.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 PM
glc
Scarlet, you really should have replaced all 8 plugs with 90k on it.

Quick Reply: '08-'09 Taurus X, or Freestyle?