Go Back   F150online Forums > Owner's Connection > General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

General Discussion
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2014 Ford F150
Fix sticking caliper?

Ok, not a Ford...and not even a truck! 1998 Monte Carlo Z34. Left rear caliper keeps dragging/sticking. It's obviously a disk brake (caliper and rotor). I replaced the rotor that seemed to be warped, got new pads and tried to free up the caliper. After about 3 months or so, the brake pad is wore out again! You can tell it's dragging a little from the extra brake dust on that wheel. It's one of those goofy GM calipers that has the emergency brake built in. I would have bought a replacement and been done with it, but it's like $125 for a new caliper. I'd like to avoid buying a new unit unless I really have to.

Has anyone ever had one of these types of caliper stick? And what did you do to fix it, if so?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Get a rebuilt caliper. A lot cheaper than new. I think replacement is the only option, assuming it is piston and not the slides which is sticking.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to Quintin Send a message via Yahoo to Quintin
The caliper slides and hardware are common failures in GM W-Body cars. Especially in rust belt states. I doubt it's the caliper itself sticking, but rather the slides. Pull it all down, clean and lube the slides and try again.

!@#$ the language filter.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Send a message via Yahoo to PSS-Mag
If there is a rubber line, replace that.

Sounds stupid I know, but it happened to me.
The inner liner tore, and acted like a check valve. Fluid would flow to the caliper but the tore flap would not let it leave. The more pressure applied the tighter the seal it made. After replacing the caliper 3x's somebody suggested the line, I was skeptical but desperate so changed it instead of the caliper the last time. Didn't have any more problems for 3 years that I owned it and it's still going with the new owner.

The reason that Santa is always happy, is because he knows where all the naughty girls live!
Lucky bastard....
Old 04-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to WVtrucker
I'd give a big diddo. Pull it apart, clean everything really well including anything that slides (i.e. the bolts if I remember that caliper correctly) and antiseize it (I like the stuff made by loctite) (the bolts and slides that is). If that doesn't fix it the piston is hanging and it will have to be either rebuilt or replaced. Rebuilding is about as expensive as getting a reman one these days so I rarely screw with them.
Bug Shield
235/70/16 BFG LongTrails
Autometer Traditional Chrome
Water Temp.
Trans. Temp.
Oil Pressure
Voltmeter
Check out my Gallery
Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

After checking Autozone's web site, I can get one for around (reman.) $65. Advance Auto Parts was listing them for $125. If it's just $65, I will probably just replace and it and forget it. It would be worth it to me since I don't have lots of free time to do this sort of thing.

This is one of those goofy calipers that screws in somehow...it's not on slides if I know what you're talking about.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to WVtrucker
Yeah its one of those that parking brake ratchets out the piston as you use it so that when you replace the pads you have to rotate the piston back in the right direction, correct?

I'd be careful. The cheaper one may have one of those damn fiber pistons in it (i.e. not steel). Those things are a real piece of chit. Had more than one hang up on me.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVtrucker
Yeah its one of those that parking brake ratchets out the piston as you use it so that when you replace the pads you have to rotate the piston back in the right direction, correct?
Right...that's the kind this one is.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:45 AM