Military Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military Question

Whats up guys? Well ive been doing a lot of thinking lately and i want to join the army. I know there are some army guys around here so i was wondering if you have any input for me. What should i go in as. I want to be airbourne but what do i have to do. I havent talked to a recruiter yet, trucks in the body shop right now. What are the stages that i will be going through and how long is boot camp. I guess i just want as much info as i can get. Thanks Guys!!

Old 03-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Join the Navy

kidding... if you're set on the Army, and Ranger school in particular go talk to the recruiter... listen to all the stuff (crap) he has to say.. then report back here with what he had to say. Then you'll get a better idea of what to expect etc... Let him give you info and requirements and such... then if folks here are in the know, let them wave the BS flag if need be. Some recruiters are cool and honest.. some aren't... luck of the draw... one thing I would do though, if you're serious.. is start running now LOL... are you in college? High School? Degree? those are important questions.. there are a lot of good programs out there that'll help you finish college and be in the army, but don't let some recruiter dupe you into signing up the first day, they're very persuasive I think army.com has a chat room, that may be the place to start if you don't want to sit down face to face with a recruiter just yet.. jsut my opinion.. let us know how it goes..

Casey

Old 03-29-2006, 06:27 PM
HOOAH!

Is there anything in particular that you want to do in the Army? I was an Intelligence guy, but had a desire to blow scheit up and kill people. The two don't mix except in video games or unless the SHTF badly. If you want Airborne tell your recruiter that you want it and make SURE that it's in your contract. In fact make sure everything that you want is in your contract. If you want to be a straight Airborne Infantryman go for 11B (Infantry). How about A repairman? Radios to 5 tons and tracked vehicles take your pic. Sick and twisted like me? Go 37F if you can. PSYOPS, because a mind is a beautiful thing to waste.

There are any number of possibilities open to you right now. You can even be an Airborne Intelligence guy if you want. I have to go to the Lodge now, but I'll check in later.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:12 PM
make sure you choose a job you want and that will be useful should you get out. don't let them tell you its not available because the army is hurting for new recruits and it probable is. they try to force the naive in to positions that need filled because they are very short. these jobs will also have sign on bonuses. once you and them agree to everything, get it on paper.

the process is simple, it is basically like this....
you take a test to see what jobs you can qualify for. take a medical exam also.
choose your MOS ( job) and get a contract and a date to ship out.
basic training 8 weeks
MOS school. time depends on how technical it is.
duty station. this is where you have fun and return to a normal life compared to basic.

for better info find an army forum.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks guys. Right now im just going to some fire tech classes at a community college. The airborne infantry sounds very interesting. Do you get to pick were you are stationed? Like since i live in orange county can i choose to get stationed close to my house. Im just trying to get questions prepared to know what ask the recruiter.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
The MOST important thing to remember is bootcamp is NOTHING more then a head game to separate the weak mindless boys from the real men. If it is like the Navy bootcamp they will do things to just **** you off to see if you can handle it.

Things like show you how to fold your clothes. You will fold them perfect and they will tell you that you screwed something up and toss everything on your rack. They want to see if you pay attention to DETAIL, no matter how small, and if you can actually handle being told what to do.

If you can not handle being told what to do, how to do, when to do it etc then the military is not for you. You are not in control of yourself for the most part. You take orders and carry them out or else.

Don’t get me wrong I think the military is one of the best things a person could ever do. It will assist you in growing up much faster then some civilian, it will teach you personal responsibility and you will know what it really feels like to accomplish something.

It would drive me nuts at times to listen to a few in the military whine about how this person or that person can’t really tell them what to do. Well, if they are above you in rank they can and will tell you what to do and if you don’t do it they can and will make your life a living hell.

It’s not all fun and games, most of the time it can be boring, like any other job or career but I can tell you I would not trade the 10 years I had in the Navy for anything. It was an awesome experience, went to many countries aboard different naval ships. Met and have some of the best friendships I will ever have and other then my parents, learned and felt proud that I had, and continue to have, personal responsibility.

However, in my opinion, the most important thing you have to understand is you do not and will not ever have total control over what you can do while in the service. It’s not like getting a job you think is cool and then a few months later find out it sucks and then just put in your notice and quit, or decide one day to stop showing up.

Good luck…

Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 PM
as far as where you're stationed... you'll hear one thing... "needs of the Army" you're serving, you give up a lot of rights when you enlist and as far as I know airborne troops don't go to SOCAL bro... they hang tight to Ft Benning GA. like everyone else has said.. whatever you do.. get it on paper, and don't let them push you into something just because it has a sign on bonus.. and doing something that'll help you should you decide to get out is always helpful... just not as fun sometimes... it'll be some of the worst times of your life, and at the same time the best times... and the good times far outweigh the bad... one thing I was told before I enlisted, and it rang true throughout my 8 years is this, in the military, you get out of it what you put into it. put all you have into it and you'll excel and love it, get in, get down or pissed because you're not near home and it'll be hell and you'll hate it.... There's nothing, in my opinion that you'll value more than your service in the end...

Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 PM
2 Words.....

Coast Guard

Under-rated but it is an Armed Service with a critical mission.

Most important, whatever branch you choose it's what YOU make of it. There are no handouts and it's tough work, period.

Good luck in your endeavors and thanks in advance for joining our ranks.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
2 Words.....

Coast Guard

Under-rated but it is an Armed Service with a critical mission.

Most important, whatever branch you choose it's what YOU make of it. There are no handouts and it's tough work, period.

Good luck in your endeavors and thanks in advance for joining our ranks.

I'll second that....It pain's me to say this, but I never knew the CG was Military until I started doing a little researching.......that was 16 years ago, and I'm still going strong.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 AM
I am in the National Guard and currently in Iraq. I am actually a tank commander. If you decide to join the army, do yourself a favor a get a job that will help you when you get out. I am stationed with the 101st Airborne and also was with an Armor Battalion. Most guys get out after 4 years because of the bull****. Choose your job wisely. Be prepared to come to the hellhole of Iraq and live like crap because that is where you are going to go alot. Say goodbye to your truck too. You won't be seeing that for a long time.
Basic is about 9 weeks.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Duke is right. When picking your job in the Military try to make sure it will be useful in the future. There isn't too much of a demand for tank commanders or paratroopers in the civilian world.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 05f150715
...The airborne infantry sounds very interesting. Do you get to pick were you are stationed? Like since i live in orange county can i choose to get stationed close to my house....
Jump School is at Fort Benning GA.
Fort Benning also conducts Basic Training so, it would make sense to send you to Benning for 9 weeks basic and 3 weeks jump school but, the Army does what's good for the Army not so much what's good for you.

Basic is also held at
Fort Jackson SC
Fort Knox KY
Fort L Wood MO
Fort Sill OK

However, you will definitely go to Benning for jump school.
If you want to stay on Jump status and draw the Jump Pay,
you have to be where they jump.

That would be the 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg NC.
Your tour of duty would be split between the Middle East and the Middle of North Carolina.

Orange County nor anywhere close would be an option.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 AM
The Coast Guard is a viable option too.

Originally Posted by Raoul
Jump School is at Fort Benning GA.
Fort Benning also conducts Basic Training so, it would make sense to send you to Benning for 9 weeks basic and 3 weeks jump school but, the Army does what's good for the Army not so much what's good for you.

Basic is also held at
Fort Jackson SC
Fort Knox KY
Fort L Wood MO
Fort Sill OK

However, you will definitely go to Benning for jump school.
If you want to stay on Jump status and draw the Jump Pay,
you have to be where they jump.

That would be the 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg NC.
Your tour of duty would be split between the Middle East and the Middle of North Carolina.

Orange County nor anywhere close would be an option.

Indeed. Infantry goes to Benning for OSUT - One Station Unit Training. Airborne Infantry can go to a few places, but the most likely plase is Ft. Bragg in Fayettnam NC (Fayetteville). I am not sure of their jump status, but there are infanry units in Colorado, Hawaii, Alaska, Korea, and Germany, among other places. Choose a job that will benefit you on the outside if you can.

As stated before, don't let them tell you that something is 'unavailable'. Tell your recruiter up front 'this is what I want'. Let HIM work for YOU. If it comes to this they'll likely ask you to leave the room, and they'll go into their negotiations. Don't sign anything unless it's what you want.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah you could wind up anywhere for basic, just depends on what the computer spits out.

Jump school would be at Ft Benning.

Do this go to the recruiter and ask for a MOS 18. You will get jump school & Free Fall HALO/HAHO training. If your going to jump might as well do it with the best.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
Yeah you could wind up anywhere for basic, just depends on what the computer spits out.

Jump school would be at Ft Benning.

Do this go to the recruiter and ask for a MOS 18. You will get jump school & Free Fall HALO/HAHO training. If your going to jump might as well do it with the best.

Wrong.

You will go to a particular BCT depending on your MOS. If you ask for the 18X contract (Direct pipeline into SF) you better be a damn site GOD-like stud of SOUND mind and body. If not you'll end up as free meat for 'Needs of the Army'. MFF (refered to HALO/HAHO) is NOT a guranteed and is a coveted school for many soldiers.

Quick Reply: Military Question