Mothballs in Gastank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mothballs in Gastank?

http://www.georgenitta.com/mothballs/mothballs.htm

anyone tried this.. my father says it works but u gotta get ur mixture right and its best safe to premix it before pouring it into ur gas tank like use a 5 gallon gas can and pre mix it then pour it in

Old 06-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gasoline is cheaper than mothballs and WD-40. What is the purpose?

Old 06-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel
Gasoline is cheaper than mothballs and WD-40. What is the purpose?

if u want higher then 91 or 93 and dont have any place to buy it u can do this

Old 06-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You going to try it?

Old 06-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
You going to try it?
prolly gonna try it in the lawn mower first before my truck but i checked other forums people say it works for them

Old 06-24-2005, 07:36 PM
If anyone has some free time you might want to do a search on this topic. I think it was a few years ago (others might remember) there was some guy here that was trying to promote this. I guess your supposed to shove them in the gas tank with a wooden dowl? It was an interesting thread. The guy ended up calling people on this board red neck hicks because no one would buy his schpeal.

I wouldn't do it.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:42 PM
yeh i know i looked up online before i posted it its about half and half just like the argument to aftermarket intakes actually give u better performance or not... but the WD-40 in gas tank works for removing any water in the system. i know that for a fact.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Higher octane does NOT necessarily give you more performance. If you make NO other changes to your vehicle, specifically advancing the timing and/or changing the fuel air mixture to more lean, etc, you will gain NOTHING.

Higher octane, in the basic sense, helps to promote a slower burn of the flame or a more controlled burn. Typically, if you run octane lower then recommended you are more prone to pre-ignition, or knock. Higher octane helps to reduce or eliminate pre-ignition.

In order to gain anything from using higher octane, specifically performance wise you would generally advance your timing and/or running leaner. When you run leaner you run a bit hotter. Running lean, to a point will gain you some horsepower but since you create more heat you need a higher octane to help eliminate per-ignition.

Any way, it’s a waste of time and money to simply increase the octane rating since doing that alone will gain you NOTHING, NO extra horsepower and NO extra torque, NO PERFORMANCE boost…

Sometimes running a higher octane then recommended can actually cause damage and in the very least help to possibly foul plugs sooner.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01 XLT Sport
(Snip
Running lean, to a point will gain you some horsepower
I disagree with that. Richer A/F mixture is what makes the ponies

quote from Troyer

"Open Loop fuel control operation is when the engine makes it's *real* power - in this mode, the PCM ignores the feedback from the oxygen sensors and no longer forces the engine to run a 14.64:1 A/F ratio - instead, it uses the signal coming in from the MAF meter or MAS to determine how much fuel and timing to put into the engine, based on hand-coded values in lookup tables that are based primarily on load, and the result is richer A/F ratios and that makes the engine able to tolerate more spark advance"

Last edited by jpdadeo; 06-24-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:52 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Moth ***** used to contain naphthalene. Now they don't, the formula was changed. So the modern mothball trick will not work.

JMC

Old 06-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Moth ***** used to contain naphthalene. Now they don't, the formula was changed. So the modern mothball trick will not work.

JMC
yeh u gotta check and find the right ones but if u calculate 5 mothballs for ever gallon that means we would need 115mothballs per truck for us

Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
I disagree with that. Richer A/F mixture is what makes the ponies

quote from Troyer

"Open Loop fuel control operation is when the engine makes it's *real* power - in this mode, the PCM ignores the feedback from the oxygen sensors and no longer forces the engine to run a 14.64:1 A/F ratio - instead, it uses the signal coming in from the MAF meter or MAS to determine how much fuel and timing to put into the engine, based on hand-coded values in lookup tables that are based primarily on load, and the result is richer A/F ratios and that makes the engine able to tolerate more spark advance"
Richer air/fuel ratio makes less horsepower. Read any performance publication and you will find that to be true. Lean makes more horsepower. However, spark advance is another method to gain more horsepower and that too requires a higher octane fuel.

Blower applications, such as those on Lightning’s is basically just about that, forcing more air into the combustion chamber. More air means lean, more fuel means rich. Nobody tunes a vehicle to run rich, or any richer then it “safely” needs to be. True performance vehicles are programmed to run as lean as possible with as much timing advance as possible while keeping them safe to do so. Higher octane comes into play and one reason many people running serious performance applications have an air/fuel gauge to indicate that are not to dangerously “lean”. A rich mixture robs horsepower, creates more carbon build up in the combustion chamber and pollutes the environment…

Old 06-24-2005, 09:10 PM
For what it's worth, I did this to an old lawn mower years back. I'm not sure what they did, but the motor locked up tight as a drum a few weeks later. I'm not saying it had anything to do with mothballing the tank, but it didn't have any noticeable affect.

I heard the mothballing story years ago. It supposedly stabilizes the gas, but that's about it. You might be able to advance your timing a bit, due to the octane increase, but you're not going to gain any btu's.

Now..acetone on the other hand...

-Fatz

Old 06-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Just a point about gas. The higher the octane, the harder it is to burn. Nothing more nothing less, the reasons are all explaned above.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by 01 XLT Sport
Richer air/fuel ratio makes less horsepower. Read any performance publication and you will find that to be true. Lean makes more horsepower. However, spark advance is another method to gain more horsepower and that too requires a higher octane fuel.

Blower applications, such as those on Lightning’s is basically just about that, forcing more air into the combustion chamber. More air means lean, more fuel means rich. Nobody tunes a vehicle to run rich, or any richer then it “safely” needs to be. True performance vehicles are programmed to run as lean as possible with as much timing advance as possible while keeping them safe to do so. Higher octane comes into play and one reason many people running serious performance applications have an air/fuel gauge to indicate that are not to dangerously “lean”. A rich mixture robs horsepower, creates more carbon build up in the combustion chamber and pollutes the environment…
Hmm....

It's that very slightly lean a/f ratio that's the universally acknowledged sweet spot we all know and love.

If you increase the amount of air you're putting into a combustion chamber via a turbo charger, supercharger, the amount of fuel you're mixing with that air must increase to maintain the correct a/f ratio.

The whole idea behind forced induction is the ability to get more fuel and air--mixed in the proper ratio--into a combustion chamber.

O2 is our constant here; X amount of fuel = X amount of power.

The more air you have, the more fuel you can mix with it, the more power you can make.

I learned this the hard way when I was a kid. I cranked up the boost on an 84 dodge colt turbo to 16lbs. Everything went lean under the higher boost, BOOM!

-Fatz

Last edited by MnFatz; 06-24-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Mothballs in Gastank?