Getting smoke smell out of truck?

Old 02-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting smoke smell out of truck?

Anyone have ideas on how to get the cigarette smoke smell out of the interior of my pickup. What has anyone here done to get it out. Special air freshener, spray, replacing headliner etc? Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Getting smoke smell out of truck?

Originally posted by Bartak1
Anyone have ideas on how to get the cigarette smoke smell out of the interior of my pickup. What has anyone here done to get it out. Special air freshener, spray, replacing headliner etc? Any ideas? Thanks
Quit?

Old 02-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Febreze might do it...

Old 02-28-2005, 11:27 PM
poop in the passenger seat... That should cover it up...

Old 02-28-2005, 11:49 PM

I dont think there is much you can do...my roommate has had his truck for a few years now (bought used, has the cloth seats) and any time it rains or is humid, you can smell the smoke in his truck, gets bad sometimes.

Buy a bunch of the pine trees to hang from your rearview?

Old 03-01-2005, 12:23 AM
The fire/water/wind..etc damge restoration.reparation company I work at during the summer uses ozone as a last resort to get stubbord smoke smells out of contents. We use small ozone machines (like you might find in a ozonated hot-tub) and pump it into sealed room. I met if you set one of those up in your truck overnight the smell would be taken care of, and if not, then nothing is gona get that out. I would do I bit more research though before you try this though, because I have heard that ozone can make foam (the type your seats might be made of) disintegrate. I dont know if this is nessesarily true, or perhaps it is only with prolonged exposure, but check it out just in case...

Old 03-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Try a few dryer sheets. They hide well but still keep them from exposed areas.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:07 AM
The smell of cigarette smoke is one of the hardest things to get rid of. Get a bottle of Febreze or any brand of fabric freshener, spray all cloth surfaces according to directions and let dry. I'd do this at least once a week for a couple of months, then let it go for a few weeks and see if the smell comes back.

You could also try washing the cloth areas with water mixed with a very small amount of ammonia (about 1/8 cup per gallon of water). Wet a sponge or white cloth and wring it well so you don't get things too wet. Thoroughly wipe all seats and the headliner. If you don't have dry weather you might want to put a space heater, set on low, inside for a few hours to dry things out good. You may also want to spray with the Febreze when its dry just to ensure you've gotten rid of the odor.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Let Raoul ride with you once... But then you'll need something to cover up that smell too...

Old 03-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
find a empty parking lot somewhere and go do some "brake stands"...burn your tires to the ground and leave the windows open..burnt rubber smell is another option (reminds me of the drags...ahhhhhhhhhh) ...zap!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:18 AM
A full interior detail with a good steam/shampoo carpet cleaner, dry... then lotsa fabreeze. Let the windows open for a day or so and you should be good. Worked for my vehicles but I'm not a heavy smoker. Don't smoke in the Tan Terror, either.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by clonetek
Let Raoul ride with you once... But then you'll need something to cover up that smell too...

I couldnt even get near the truck then.

Thanks guys, Ill have to try some of that stuff. I sprayed some febreeze in the other day and it smelt(is that a word) good for like 10 minutes. I guess I will try keeping the windows down all the time and a bunch of febreeze first since thats easiest

My buddys truck was smoked in before he got it and now it doesnt smell like smoke at all, Ill have to see what he used.

LGJ, pretty much. I cant smoke in the truck anymore and thats where 75% of my smoking occurs, so I figure I might as well try to quit. Smoke free for 2 days now.

Thanks guys

Old 03-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Fabreeze.... ForScchizzle

I dated a smoker for a while once.... My friends named called her Fabreeze behind her back because I always kept a bottle in the glovebox.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:19 PM
I own a carpet cleaning and Fire/Water Damage Restoration Co., so here's the only sure way to do it.

1. All the tar and nicotine must be removed from the hard surfaces and glass. Even reach as far as possible into the air ducts

2. Get the carpet and upholstery cleaned and dried professionally.

3. Have a portable ozone generator put in the cab with everything sealed up good, set the generator to 100% and run it for 2-3 hours. Some Vehicles require more time. Current generations of upholstery foam do not deteriorate.

It will smell just like a thunderstorm.

I would charge in the $100-150.00 range for a Scab. $200.00 for Supercrew.

I'm not trying to sell just letting you know what to expect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting smoke smell out of truck?