How to cut hole for dryer vent in brick wall

Old 08-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to cut hole for dryer vent in brick wall

I need to make a 4" hole for a dryer vent through a brick wall. Has anyone else done this themselves? If so, how did you do it and what problems did you run into?

thanks,
bone

Old 08-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Re: How to cut hole for dryer vent in brick wall

Originally posted by chknbone
how did you do it
C4

what problems did you run into?
Had to buy Raoul a new wall.

Old 08-10-2004, 05:59 PM
draw the circle on the wall where you want it, with a majic marker. Get a mason (masonry) drill bit and drill holes along the cirlce on the black majic marker going all the way thru. I would drill about 1/2 to 1 inch apart. Then just chizel it out. Should make for a pretty clean and round hole.

Good Luck

P.S....good Idea and all, but I would stay away from the C4

Old 08-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by BREWDUDE
draw the circle on the wall where you want it, with a majic marker. Get a mason (masonry) drill bit and drill holes along the cirlce on the black majic marker going all the way thru. I would drill about 1/2 to 1 inch apart. Then just chizel it out. Should make for a pretty clean and round hole.

Good Luck

This is exactly how you would do it as a homeowner.

OR

You could hire a contrete cutting contractor to bring a 4" core bit to do it in a single pass. This does, however, cost a lot more than the circle drawing method.

Good Luck

Old 08-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by BREWDUDE

Good Luck

Also a good idea to take your chisel & score the brick (make a nice indention all the way around the hole) before you start taking out chunks, this keeps from knocking the whole face off of the bricks & also (most of the time anyway) will keep the whole brick from coming loose in the morter joint. One more suggestion score the brick just a little outside where you've marked your hole. I hope this helps, good luck.

Old 08-10-2004, 06:31 PM
If you want to get it done quickly, you could use C4.

Old 08-10-2004, 07:24 PM
I have done this before and depending on the thickness of the wall (The brick walls in my house ar almost 14" thick!) I would go out and buy a long masonry bit and drill all the way through from the outside (Incase there is any break out) if you score the inside and outside well there should be no break out.

I also reccomend you buy/rent a hammer drill it will make it much easier. You also might be able to rent the core drill mentioned above.

Take your time it is easy.

Old 08-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Yankee7985
If you want to get it done quickly, you could use C4.

Damn dude, you beat me to it . . . .

Mold a thin strip in the shape of 4" circle

Apply to wall

Detonate (step away from the wall first though)

Old 08-10-2004, 08:54 PM
I vote for the C4. Be sure to take before and after pix. Use two sticks just to be sure...

Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks all. The rental place wanted $72 (per day) for the core drill and ANOTHER $72 to use their bit!!!! I think I could hire a brick mason to come over and make the 4" hole for that much.

As for everyone that's for using the C4....I'm all for it. I get to come to your house first so you can show me how well it works right? RIGHT? (where'd everybody go? )

Old 08-11-2004, 05:28 PM
As for everyone that's for using the C4....I'm all for it. I get to come to your house first so you can show me how well it works right? RIGHT? (where'd everybody go? )
Sorry, I only got pics from when my nieghbor was adding a pet door for his pooch. A saws-all just seemed to boring, I suggest the C4 would be quicker and more exciting. Haven't heard from him, wonder how he's doing...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to cut hole for dryer vent in brick wall