Help, My F150 Keeps Dying

Old 01-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help, My F150 Keeps Dying

Help, Don't know where to look for problem, Have 98 F150 with 4.6 triton V8, Vehicle will not stay on after started, will die out, Thought it was a heat Problem but even after a long run an Gauge is in the middle it will die at any stop light or stop sign, have to keep Gas peddle pressed even when taking off, There are no Check Engine Lights.. Auto part suggested having Fuel Pressure Check out prior to repalcing any parts. If anyone has run into this Problem or similar please post a Reply, Thanks

P.S: This just started on 1-Jan-2002, had hard start a few times in late december, but after warm up it was alright.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Welcome a-board, ElBlackangel.

I know that someone has an answer for you, I doubt it's me though. One thing that might help to speed up the process would be to go up to the engines section. This question comes up pretty regularly. You might want to do a search in that section to help you eliminate some of the possible causes.

If it were me I think I would start by changing the fuel filter (which isn't as easy as it sounds. make sure to have the proper tools.) and go from there. I could be one (or more than one) of many things. Mass air flow meter, throttle position sensor, O2 sensor..........

Let us know what you find. There are a few of us that have the 4.6 in a '98.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Thumbs up GOOD NEWS

The answer is a dirty IAC(Idle Air Contrl) Valve, I tried to tap it per a posted message, It is in the "Engine Section" to no avail, but after cleaning it with some carb.Cleaner and reinstalling it , VARoom and it stayed on. HOPE it Helps someone down the road., Thank you all.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Glad to hear that you've found the problem. I read your post in the engines section. Isn't this a cool site?

Hope you can stick around. There is lots more information to be had. Perhaps you will have some to pass on to others.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, My F150 Keeps Dying