F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2006 f-250 SD 5.4 4 x4 ride question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 f-250 SD 5.4 4 x4 ride question

The past month or so I have noticed between 45 -55 mph the truck has a slight vibration feel / sound. This happens on all types of roads.. No noticeable vibration in steering wheel but the ride just feels odd and not normal. I have had the front tires re-balanced and the balancing activity looked at the front end components and they all seemed tight and good. The front shocks are new. The tires are Mastercraft LT 265/70 R17 brand and have good tread left. Any other things that I might look at before I take it to the local FoMoCo shop for them to empty my pocketbook just to see if they can find anything.. I bought this truck used and have put about 5K miles on it before I noticed this issue.. It now has 89K miles

Old 05-24-2020, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am back with this post again...same problem..still no resolve..The local FoMoCo shop mis-diagnosed the porblem several times but managed to eat up my warranty money and then threw up their hands.. The replaced all ball joints, right front 4WD drive hub and bearings, had driveline reblanced, and several other minor things but never really resolved the problem.. I thoughtI could live with the viberation BUT the wife cannot.. so...I am still searching for a solution.. The steering wheel or floor doesnt seen to viberate, but you can defiantely feel it in your ears (pressure).. My next thoughts are bad door gaskets and air pressure is causing it..Thoughts on tires being out of round (but were recently balanced? Maybe a bent wheel? Before I sink many more $$$ into this issue, I want to hear what others think.. iDEAS PLEASE..

Old 05-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
when the driveline was rebalanced did they check the driveshaft angles with the transmission and with the differential? They have to be the same with a one piece driveshaft. I assume the u-joints were tight (and lubricated) when the driveline was balanced.

A bent wheel or tire out of round should not cause a vibration at a certain speed. It should be there all the time increasing in amplitude with speed. Vibrations at a certain speed happen when there is a harmonic such as a tire out of balance at that speed. I once had a car that had a vibration at around 55mph and it could be almost gotten rid of by balancing the tires/wheels on the car. I never did find out what caused it in 110,000 miles.

Quick Reply: 2006 f-250 SD 5.4 4 x4 ride question