F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

'93 F250 w/460

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'93 F250 w/460

well, im back, but maybe this time for a longer stay. I sold my nice silver F150 last aug. and I've been regretting it.

I had someone answer my cl ad about trading for my grand Cherokee limited. He has a '93 F250 super cab with the big dino 460. Not sure of the gear ratio yet. we spoke briefly and plan to meet on Friday. Looks mighty clean inside and looks as though the seats are new although I didn't ask. I was looking for another 150, but I suppose I could go with the 250. when I spoke to him over the phone he said something about having new or rebuilt heads or manifolds, done i can't remember. Sheesh! I asked about any leaks and he said no. just a winshield chip and a small dent in the hood. Other than that, he said he put 2 new front tires on it.

Before we hung up, he stated that he had put over 4k into it and he had the truck less than a year. I'm thinking if you have over 4k into the truck, he should have just said all what he had done to it. Guess i'll talk to him more on Fri. When I asked him about the mpg he said he was getting 11 mpg with the 460? Which gets better mpg a 460 F250 or 351w 150?

I also wish it had a bench seat as it's what I mentioned in my ad. his truck has buckets. Can this model truck's seat be interchanged from buckets to bench? I want my dog to be able to lay down. Or i'll take the console out and make a structure for her paws.

Last edited by grizzeyes; 05-22-2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: lame as usual
Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
The 351 gets much better mileage.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
When my dad had his '93 F250 4 speed 4x4 with that monster 460 with the 5 speed tranny, and dual gas tanks that thing got between 8-10 mpg on a good day. When he towed, forget it. Looking at less than 5.

Cool engine, but a serious gas hog. No wonder why it came with dual gas tanks!!

And yes, it had a bench seat... a grey vinyl bench seat.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 PM
thanks GLC, glad to see ur still alive. And that you tech writer. I'm honored. Ouch! on the mpg....fur sure but I've been trying to rid myself of the GC since sept. I hate driving them. Spoke with him tonight and He had a new water pump installed and they replaced the head gaskets.

I remember someone quoting just the other day ....Life'S short drive what you like.

the motor on the 250 is the E40 with od. darn it...if the 350 w gets much better mileage than the 460, then I'll hardly afford driving this hog being i'm on ssa, with only 750. per month coming in until find another pt job............I've seen that gas guzzling 400's before. my goodness, why couldn't the engineers & mechanics back then; make something more fuel efficient From what I see, the truck is valued much more than my 99 gc so at least i'll have a bit more money to work with if I decide to trade it down the road for a 150. I entered the vin on the front page and looks like the limited slip ratio is 3.55

Last edited by grizzeyes; 05-21-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:55 AM
well, I met the guy and saw his truck. oil sprayed all over underneath. had it put on the rack here in town and the shop told me leaking rear valve cover on one side. under neath..who knows?.....could be oil pan, seals...It had new or rebuilt manifolds and new waterpump and some other stuff done but the shop told me it could cost up to 500 700.oo if the oil pan is leaking...have to drop the transmission, and or lift the motor...
so I said forget it. No receipts for the "4k" he has into it?....guy drove 95 miles, and he had to stop to put a new battery in his truck before he made it to where I was.

Just gonna hold out and wait til I can find me a dog gone buyer for this darn thing.

Quick Reply: '93 F250 w/460