F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

No Trailer Brakes ---- truck problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Trailer Brakes ---- truck problem!

Have an issue with one of the trucks, an 05 F350 with integrated brake controller (TBC). Am having problems with a new gooseneck trailer, keep getting error messages on the dash (Trailer Fault, Trailer Disconnected). Started right from the time I hooked it up, but has gotten worse. Originally it would flash on the dash every time I hit a rough spot in the road, pot-hole, crack, etc, but I always seemed to have trailer brakes (as seen on the Output section of the TBC).

Now however, more often than not they're not working, more constant error messages, the trailer symbol lit up in red, or simply not showing the trailer is there at all. Lights work, brakes do not.

Tested the truck outlet with a voltmeter and found very minimal charge, even with the TBC set to max (10) and brakes fully applied (via hand control) it's only putting out about 1 Volt. A setting of 7.5 on the TBC reduces voltage to 0.7 volts at the plug in, anything lower and the voltage drops right off to nothing.

Tested it at the trailer junction box as well and found the same. Pulled the trailer break-away cord and found voltage at 11.9 Volts (from the battery source).

Checked fuses under the dash, nothing.

I'm not exactly savvy at, well, anything, so beyond this, I'm not sure what to do beyond taking it to the dealer. As said, lights work, brakes do not. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Josh

PS? I'm not interested in having after-market brake controllers under my dash. I have them in all my other trucks, and I hate it. I want something integrated, and for a truck that cost 70k, I see no reason for Ford not to make the damn thing work.

Quick Reply: No Trailer Brakes ---- truck problem!