F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F150 Diesel?? 2011? 2012??

Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F150 Diesel?? 2011? 2012??

Does anyone have any information on the upcoming F150 Diesel?? I've read about it in various magazines and haven't seen anything in quite a while. With the new 5.0 Coyote motor and that Ecoboost, has Ford scrapped plans on a 2011 F150 Diesel?? I thought there was a "race" between the manufactuers to get a 150/1500 series truck to the market with a diesel. The BIG 3 were all working on it as well as Toyota showed interest in a diesel in their Tundra. Any info would be appreciated----DirtySCREW

Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
moving to Europe would be quicker

Old 11-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Yea, I wouldn't hold your breath. F150 w\diesel has been rumored heavily the past few years, but I doubt it will happen. Ford has invested a ton of R&D in their new line of engines, which look to be awesome!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Why should they make a diesel when they got that DI turbo ecoboost engine... ?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Wait until the world recovers from the current recession and Big Oil jacks their prices up again...just because they can. When gasoline goes well beyond $3/gallon, there might be a market for a F-150 diesel. Until then, Ford is putting its eggs in the Ecoboost basket. Similar power and mileage and fewer emissions headaches. Or, you never know, one of these small V-8 diesels might make an attractive military option, like the powerplant for the replacement for the Humvee

Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0...nes/index.html

Good article talking about the "TOP SECRET" diesel engines for the BIG 3.

Ford may indeed postpone the diesel in a F150 and see how this Ecoboost does, but they will HAVE to eventually have one as the others are coming to the market. Ford has to offer something to compete or just lose out of the market share. And I don't think that the 1 American car company that didn't take a dime from the Obama Administration is stupid enough to lose market share!!! I believe are coming...but maybe just a little later than predicted. VW/Audi are doing wonderful things with diesels and educating Americans in the process. --------------DirtySCREW

Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Most of all speculation in that article can't really be considered, being as it's from February 2009.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
They won't even consider putting a diesel in the 150 till the technology catches up to where it will get significantly better fuel mileage with all the required emission controls. I dunno about where you are, but here, diesel fuel is 40 cents more than gas right now.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by glc
They won't even consider putting a diesel in the 150 till the technology catches up to where it will get significantly better fuel mileage with all the required emission controls. I dunno about where you are, but here, diesel fuel is 40 cents more than gas right now.
I respect you a LOT glc...........BUT I've been on sport trac forums that said that Ford would NEVER put a V8 in a sport trac cause of this or that...takes sales away from Rangers or F150s...bla bla bla.......Well,,,,,,They have V8s in Sport tracs.

I think the point I am trying to make is Americans have to be educated on diesels. Most americans think diesel is dirty and think of big mack trucks, but fail to realize that "cute" VW Beetle or Jetta is a diesel TDI! Same for some Mercedes. Yes, the fuel does cost more...but its basicly a wash or leaning toward your side considering diesels get 20-40% better mileage than gas...DEPENDING on the application. You wanna pull a camper to the mountains. Yea, a strong V8 can and will do it...but you gonna empty your pockets on gas as you are going to get 8-10 MPG. A diesel will pull that camper and still net you 18-20MPG. Thats a big difference.

And don't even get me started on Bio fuels that diesels can run on. Yea, it may void you warranty and some of the NEW diesels have crap on them to basicly prevent bio fuels as it will shut down....but there are a lot of fuels you can run. SVO/WVO (straight vegetable oil/waste vegetable oil), motor oil, Bio-diesel anywhere from B20 to B100!!!

Rudolph Diesel made his engine using peanut oil....so its not like this is science fiction or out of left field. The problem is TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT and regulations out the wazoo. Diesels will out last hybrids and gas engines.

It may NOT be 2011 or 2012..or even 2015..but a diesel in a F150 (rumor is a 4.6 diesel), one in a Silverado 1500 (4.7 duramaz I believe) and a Ram 1500 (forget..but wanna say there's is a 3.9) WILL COME!!!!

Toyota has confirmed a diesel in their Tundra.

A diesel in a F150...sign me up!! That's where you will get a truck to do 17-19 in the city and about 24+ MPG on the highway!....with power to boot!---DirtySCREW

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Suspended
Here's the explination: It was simply to good of an idea. So in typical big-corporation/big-oil conspiracy, like the way of the chevy electric car, they scrapped it.

It was slated to come out, but they scraped it when fuel skyrocketed. Does this make sense? To me it doesn't. Even with EPA regs, a 4500lb truck powered by a well sized diesel should have been quite efficient.

Does it make sense that once fuel efficent diesels are now power-pumping, fuel hungry monsters? To me it doesn't. They say it's because EPA has strict rules that inhibit fuel efficiency. Don't tell me the fat cat's in big oil don't have anything to do with that either.

We live in a time where gasoline as well as the whole internal combustion engine should be obsolete, old technology. But there is simply to much money to be made with the internal combustion engine, and regular old gasoline.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtySCREW
I respect you a LOT glc...........BUT I've been on sport trac forums that said that Ford would NEVER put a V8 in a sport trac cause of this or that...takes sales away from Rangers or F150s...bla bla bla.......Well,,,,,,They have V8s in Sport tracs.

I think the point I am trying to make is Americans have to be educated on diesels. Most americans think diesel is dirty and think of big mack trucks, but fail to realize that "cute" VW Beetle or Jetta is a diesel TDI! Same for some Mercedes. Yes, the fuel does cost more...but its basicly a wash or leaning toward your side considering diesels get 20-40% better mileage than gas...DEPENDING on the application. You wanna pull a camper to the mountains. Yea, a strong V8 can and will do it...but you gonna empty your pockets on gas as you are going to get 8-10 MPG. A diesel will pull that camper and still net you 18-20MPG. Thats a big difference.

And don't even get me started on Bio fuels that diesels can run on. Yea, it may void you warranty and some of the NEW diesels have crap on them to basicly prevent bio fuels as it will shut down....but there are a lot of fuels you can run. SVO/WVO (straight vegetable oil/waste vegetable oil), motor oil, Bio-diesel anywhere from B20 to B100!!!

Rudolph Diesel made his engine using peanut oil....so its not like this is science fiction or out of left field. The problem is TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT and regulations out the wazoo. Diesels will out last hybrids and gas engines.
It may NOT be 2011 or 2012..or even 2015..but a diesel in a F150 (rumor is a 4.6 diesel), one in a Silverado 1500 (4.7 duramaz I believe) and a Ram 1500 (forget..but wanna say there's is a 3.9) WILL COME!!!!

Toyota has confirmed a diesel in their Tundra.

A diesel in a F150...sign me up!! That's where you will get a truck to do 17-19 in the city and about 24+ MPG on the highway!....with power to boot!---DirtySCREW
Like I've said in the past... If Rudolf Diesel were still alive, he'd be shot like Lincoln...

Old 11-09-2010, 02:23 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Explain to me why a tuned 7.3 in an Excursion was able to get 26 mpg on the highway, but with the advent of ULSD, that dropped to 20. Also explain to me why the stock 08 6.4 was such a fuel hog. EMISSIONS REGULATIONS along with ULSD. Those DPF regen cycles suck fuel big time. I guess the new 6.7 gets better mileage, but you also have to use DEF, and it still regens.

I don't doubt the light duty truck will eventually see a diesel, but I honestly believe it ain't happening soon. There's too much work left to do to get a small diesel running with enough power AND efficiency with the current emissions regulations.

Dirty, please show me where I said NEVER. I didn't.

By the way, I almost bought a TDI Sportwagen last year.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by dlenkewich
Here's the explination: It was simply to good of an idea. So in typical big-corporation/big-oil conspiracy, like the way of the chevy electric car, they scrapped it.

It was slated to come out, but they scraped it when fuel skyrocketed. Does this make sense? To me it doesn't. Even with EPA regs, a 4500lb truck powered by a well sized diesel should have been quite efficient.

Does it make sense that once fuel efficent diesels are now power-pumping, fuel hungry monsters? To me it doesn't. They say it's because EPA has strict rules that inhibit fuel efficiency. Don't tell me the fat cat's in big oil don't have anything to do with that either.

We live in a time where gasoline as well as the whole internal combustion engine should be obsolete, old technology. But there is simply to much money to be made with the internal combustion engine, and regular old gasoline.

+1

Glc.....I never said you said NEVER....and I was just making my point that eventually a diesel in a F150 will be a reality. That may take 20 years though!---DirtySCREW

Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spoke to a local dealer who went to Houston, TX for the new line of 2011 F-150's. He asked a representative from Ford this same question. His answer was that the ecoboost was the replacement for the light duty diesel. With EPA being so strict in the US, it made more sense to throw in an gasoline engine that can do what most half tons dream about and get better fuel economy than most V-8's while doing it at the same time. He didn't say that they scraped the plans for a diesel but the ecoboost is for now, replacing that idea.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To add to that, they were getting 28mgs in a supercrew 4X4 ecoboost! Just thought i would throw that one in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 Diesel?? 2011? 2012??