F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Superduty warm up time in winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superduty warm up time in winter

K...I am thinking about buying a 2008 F250 or 350 and was wondering how long it takes for these trucks to warm up in the winter (blowing warm air out of the vents?)
I live in Alberta Canada where it can get stupid cold, -30C or worst in the winter
Thanks

Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Arkas
K...I am thinking about buying a 2008 F250 or 350 and was wondering how long it takes for these trucks to warm up in the winter (blowing warm air out of the vents?)
I live in Alberta Canada where it can get stupid cold, -30C or worst in the winter
Thanks
Which engine are you looking at the gas or the diesel? I am in Upper Michigan and it gets pretty cold here. I leave my truck plugged in when its below 35*F and run a cold front on my truck when its below 20*F and my truck will normaly start blowing warm are in about 3 miles from the house on most mornings.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
If you consider the 6.4L diesel, get the supplemental heater (which requires the HD alternator) for about $400 USD. It is an in-duct electrical resistant-type heater. You'll have cab heat almost instantly. Of course, warming of the engine is by engine block heater (separate item) and warming the rest of the drivetrain is by "friction" as you drive.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Warm up time is a relative deal. Its all dependant on your ambient temps, what kind of load the engine is under, if its just idling and how high the idle is. For example, if I just let my truck sit and run at low idle to try and warm up it can take 10-15min at 10*F. If I drive it, gently mind you, it'll only take 5min because the engine is under load.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Arkas
Thanks
-30c you are going to have to plugg it in... that is like 80 below farenhight.... there is no way it will survive in that cold without being plugged in.

but say it is -20degrees farenhight... then you wont need to plug it in but you should...

say it is 0 degrees farenhight. you could start it without it being plugged in... and let it sit for 4 mins and there will be warm air coming from the exhaust...

anything colder then 0 farenhight or negative ten farenhight i wouldnt know casue it dont get much colder then that here.... but -30 celcius you are absolutly gunna have to plug it in.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2L_Guy
-30c you are going to have to plugg it in... that is like 80 below farenhight....

but say it is -20degrees farenhight... then you wont need to plug it in but you should...

NO! -30 degrees C is -22 degrees F!!

and YES! if it's -20 degrees F you need to plug it in!!

(Geez..not only do you not know anything about the V10, but your math and spelling skills need to be updated)

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
NO! -30 degrees C is -22 degrees F!!

and YES! if it's -20 degrees F you need to plug it in!!

(Geez..not only do you not know anything about the V10, but your math and spelling skills need to be updated)
my bad on the celcius to farenhight conversion....
i could care less what my spelling is like...
and as for the V-10...
show me one instance ware it would even think about keeping up with a stroker under a load.... then ill belive you.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
my bad on the celcius to farenhight conversion....
i could care less what my spelling is like...
and as for the V-10...
show me one instance ware it would even think about keeping up with a stroker under a load.... then ill belive you.
....okay....

Never said about 'keeping up' with a diesel when pulling heavy loads. Maybe you can learn to read my posts correctly.

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-12-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
....okay....

Never said about 'keeping up' with a diesel when pulling heavy loads. Maybe you can learn to read my posts correctly.
bud... i dont want any sour feeling between us... that is just what i THOUGHT i read... sorry if it was not quite right.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 PM
bud... i dont want any sour feeling between us... that is just what i THOUGHT i read... sorry if it was not quite right.
All's good man!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your gonna have to cover the Rad with Cardboard .. Well at least 50% of it or it will take an Aeon to warm up.

Plenty of 08 SD Diesel's here using the Cover with Cardboard Theory

Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
If you consider the 6.4L diesel, get the supplemental heater (which requires the HD alternator) for about $400 USD. It is an in-duct electrical resistant-type heater. You'll have cab heat almost instantly. Of course, warming of the engine is by engine block heater (separate item) and warming the rest of the drivetrain is by "friction" as you drive.
Is the supplemental heater an add on feature? I am guessing it is if you require a HD alternator too.
Can these be installed if you buy a SD without one already in it?

......and yes, I am gonna get the diesel, no if, and , our buts about it.

Oh....one more question. If I set the remote starter to kick in every 15 or 30 minutes after I park it in -30C (-22F) and have it run for 10-15 minutes will that help, because where I park for work theres no plug-ins.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Quick Reply: Superduty warm up time in winter