F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

block heater

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
block heater

i would like to know about the block heater. do all 05 350 have them and when u should use it l live in ny and we use to have winters here lol but not lately but it still gets cold and where is the plug for this thanks tony

Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I beleive all the 2005+ diesels (6.0L) have 'em - the only difference is an accessory 'plug in' cord that needs to be attached if you didn't get the block heater option from the dealer. A cheap addition....

I remember the V10 gasser had the option of a block heater too and asked if the same situation applied (basically the heater is already installed - just a cord needing to be added)- unfortunately no one replied

Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by tonysparks
i would like to know about the block heater. do all 05 350 have them and when u should use it l live in ny and we use to have winters here lol but not lately but it still gets cold and where is the plug for this thanks tony
I think Pagnew is correct.....all diesels have the heating element installed from the factory (not sure about the gassers). If the truck was ordered with the block heater option, then the pigtail would also be added. The pigtail plug on our trucks is located in the passenger side tow hook cutout in the bumper.

I don't think you really need to use the block heater until temps are sub zero, however, I use mine anytime it drops into the 20's. It really helps the truck start-up quicker. The glow plug light goes out in a couple of seconds, and the engine fires in just a few cranks. Less wear on the starter, and less drain on the batteries.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 AM
All 6.0 PSD have the heating element factory installed. You only need the cord that connects to it. I believe the difference between the Ford part and International part is the Ford part has the protective coating and mounting tabs already, as well as a cover for the plug. The international part is just an electric cord that you have to tie wrap in place.

If the part you got is anything like the one I got first go to the passenger side wheel. Put the electrical plug end over the frame rail then down and route it out by the tow hook. I couldn't find or reach the holes the instructions said the push pins are supposed to go in so I just stick the cord end through the tow hook. The element end goes between the frame and wheel well splash shield. You'll see rectangular cutout in the shield, that's where you want the cord to pass through. I put it through at an easier place first then lifted the shield with a screwdriver and slid the cable over to where it needed to be. The cord should come out by the remote transmission filter near the a/c compressor. From there you feed it along with the starter motor/battery harness behind the engine mount. It should come out right by the starter where you can plug it into the element above. Make sure to clean the element contacts with some alcohol soaked q-tips first. I also put electrical tape around the element end of the cord while installing to keep dirt out of the holes and to keep the ground pin from being ripped off. The only push pins I used were the two along the frame rail. Then underneath by the transmission cooler I just used cable ties to attach it to the starter/battery harness.

Go to ebay and look up sam_the_diesel_man. I bought one from him and it was 23 dollars shipped to my door.
Or run down to your local Napa. It costs about $18.75 and takes 15 min. to install.
The OEM has a cover for the 110V plug end. P/N should be 5C3Z6B018AA

$43.15 + shipping at 1stfordparts

https://www.1stfordparts.com/part_number.html

Old 02-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
All '03+ have em like previously discussed, but depending on the state ordered for did or didn't come with the cord.

I'll look for the list of those states...

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I think we need to know more about your truck...is it a diesel?

Quick Reply: block heater