F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2002 7.3 L diesel problems

Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 7.3 L diesel problems

Any body out there ever get diesel fuel comming out of your radiator overflow.

I know what the problem is, But the dealer is not thinking that they will cover it. I Have 105000. Kms on the truck and am only 3 months past the warrenty.

Any ideas.

stevlin

Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 PM
buy a new truck you cheapskate just kidding

welcome to the site, someone should be able to help you.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Diesel out of the radiator overflow????????? Not to doubt you or anything, but are you 100& sure its the radiator overflow you're looking at? That would be the large plastic container at the front center of the engine. In order to get diesel in the coolant bottle you'd most likely have a blow head gasket and/or injector problems. I've never heard of anyone ending up with diesel in the coolant. Engine oil can get in there if there are major problems though.

Now are you possibly looking at the passenger side fender well right behind the exhaust manifold at a little metal tube that just seems to stop suddenly? If so then you're looking at the fuel bowl drain line. What happens is the viton o-rings fail causing fuel to leak past them and then going out the drain line. Orings that had been run for long periods of time on LSD and then switched to ULSD have a tendency to fail. These orings can be had on ebay for around $5, and once changed out you shouldn't have a problem again now that LSD is getting harder to find.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Fuel in the coolant sounds like injector cups to me.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Diesel fuel in coolant

Is the oil level overfull? Pull the drain plug loose just enough to see if fuel runs out first. This would only happen if you let it sit for about an hour or two though. If the oil is overfull then it would have to be the center orings on the injectors torn into causing the fuel to enter the coolant. Inj. cups will only cause coolant to enter the oil pan & combustion chamber.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Fuel in coolant is most likely injector cups. Injector O-rings will have nothing to do with coolant. The only time coolant is close to fuel would be around the cups. Other than that I would suspect a cracked head, but that's unlikely.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 AM
this is a friend of mine. he has been having problems with lack of power and yes he has diesel in his coolant. (head gasket or injectors problems or maybe even both)i'm sure he will get back to you soon. he is in the process of getting it towed to another stealership to see what Ford will do. he brought it in for the lack of power back last Novemeber to one dealer and they told him everything was OK. his initial warranty of 150000km (drivetrain) or 5 years run out i believe in March and he is now just over 100000km. the years are up but not the mileage. he's hoping that they will stand behind it since he did bring it in before this major problem happened and they did nothing to fix it. he was told anywhere from $5000 to $15000 to fix it. he would like to make sure they will fix it under warranty otherwise he will take to a private shop to have the work done at half the cost of the Ford shop labor.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Gentlemen

I'll see if i can answer all your questions

1- oil level looked fine with no additional level increase ????

2- Yes there is excess fluild leaking out of the rad overflow, And yes it smells like diesel

3- Lack of power has been evident for 6 to 8 months, before that Lots of power.

I have not heard back from the dealership or as quoted before Stealership but as soon as I get a report I will let you know.

While I'm asking

Has any one had trouble with steering box on there truck. Mine I believe is worn out. The steering wheel play is aprox 2 inches side to side. Its all over the road. The Dealership told me it's fine.

Here is what I,ve replaced. Ball Joints left 2x ( 2nd time wasn't the cure as I told them it wouldn't be) right side ball Joints, pitman arm, Linkage below the pitman arm 2x and long steering rod to passenger side. STILL WANDERS.

I have also had 6 universal Joints ( at rear end) rear drive shaft balanced all within 92000 KM ??? Unheard of right, Dealership says It's ok.

Thanks for the insight

Stevlin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 7.3 L diesel problems