F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission swap

What all goes into swaping a auto to manual swap? im taking a manual off a 2wd. i know you need the steering column and all that good stuff

Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Is this going into a 4x4 or 4x2 truck? If its going into a 4x4 then the tail housing on the trans needs to be changed. If thats the case you're better off finding one from a 4x4 unless you're getting it for almost free.

For the truck you'll have to change your flex plate over to a flywheel. You'll also need to get the brake and clutch pedals from the donor truck. You'll also need the slave cylinder resivoir. Luckily most of these parts should bolt up for the most part. If you can, take everything from the donor truck.

As for the interior I'm not 100% sure if the knockout for the shifter is there or not. You'll have to pull your carpet to find out. If not then you'll have to cut a hole. I've also heard that the front hump is shaped differently between autos and manuals, but again don't quote me there. I'd think its the same, but I've heard the contrary. For the steering column you can simply remove the shifter arm and then use the plastic covers from the manual trans. This would be cheaper, however it wouldn't give you the key release lever the manuals use. Finally you would either need the PCM from the manual or have yours reflashed to a manual code. This will prevent the SES from being set.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:30 AM
well the transmission is from my dads truck and im wanting to just basically swap everything from his to mine and mine to his....but his is a 2wd F350 and mine is a 4wd F250..im in to more of the performance aspect of the diesel truck than he is and I know he wont ever have anything on his truck that would blow the stock auto trans. You think everything will bolt up pretty "easily" given the fact that I have most of what I need minus the new performance clutch?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Well going from an auto to a manual isn't THAT bad, but since you're converting his manual to an auto thats a whole other can of worms. Now you're talking about swapping steering columns, dash clusters (one of you will get screwed on the odometer reading), drivetrain harness, etc. On top of that you will have to buy a new tailshaft housing for both the ZF6 and 4R100. Given that the donor is your dads truck and you need to make both operable when you're done I'd suggest that you find a better donor truck. You'll have to half disassemble both trucks. I'd suggest going and buying yourself a 4x4 ZF6 as that'll make it ALOT easier. I'd fully expect this swap to take up to 2 months working in your spare time with the amount you'll have to swap out.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:07 PM
This is really not wise for me to input anything here, but...I have an 89 Mustang and know that the computer module (EEC-4) is different for the auto and manual tranny. You might want to check out any of that situation too.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
This is really not wise for me to input anything here, but...I have an 89 Mustang and know that the computer module (EEC-4) is different for the auto and manual tranny. You might want to check out any of that situation too.

Originally Posted by Powerstroke73
Finally you would either need the PCM from the manual or have yours reflashed to a manual code

Already been posted in the first response.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Opps...sorry powerstroke73. I was not familiar with PCM? Sorry for any double posted ideas...at least I confirmed what was already posted? I guess..

Quick Reply: Transmission swap