F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Off-Road

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off-Road

delete

Last edited by Notrepidation44; 05-26-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine never comes off the blacktop. I use my F150 for off roading.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Between the long wheelbase, stiff suspension for towing, and the fact that its an 8000lb pig it makes for a pretty crappy wheeler. Hence that is why mine never leaves pavement. I leave that job up to my Ranger which never sees pavement. The other side is when I used to wheel my F150 if anything happened I'm stranded. I learned the hard way a few times to NEVER offroad the vehicle you drive the park. Besides its way more fun to wheel something that came in on a trailer, that you don't care what breaks, or what the body looks like when you're done. Because no matter what you can push it back on the trailer and then cruise on home without worry. I never had so much fun wheeling until I had both my Ranger and a trailer.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Notrepidation44
So how many of y'all have f250's and take them off road. what kind off roading do you do and how well does it perform. I been thinking about getting an f250 because of the extra pulling power for my boat, but i still like taking my truck off road. I don't plan on taking it on any trails, just a few mud holes here and there and across the open fields. Also anyone here take there f250 on trails,,,be interested in how well it does,,,think it might struggle with the longer wheelbase. well interested in what everyone has to say
F250+PSD=stuck

On every opening weekend in Texas, I have seen at least 1 F250 stuck or near stuck but I have seen more H2's stuck b/c it seems that if you buy one, you are told you can go into anything. Wish I had my camera when my buddy pulled out an H2 from a Milo feild last year. He was in a F150 4X4

JP

Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 PM
delete

Last edited by Notrepidation44; 05-26-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Bigger sidewall tires can get squirrly towing. You'd have to look at the load range of any bigger tire before buying.

Keep in mind a crew cab 4x4 with the diesel can push 8000 lbs and in soft ground that = sunk.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-18-2006, 12:22 PM
I have taken mine semi-off road, I say "semi" because it is an old, old, old railroad grade that our camp sits near. You can't get a car down the so called road, heck, I can't even get my wife's 4x4 Escape down it. So you need a 4x4 truck or larger SUV (with some decent ground clearance) to get to camp. My traded off F-150 was not too bad going down this old grade, the F-250 beats the crap out of me/us going down this grade.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Id just like to add a coment about taking a superduty off road. I use superdutys as both a farm truck, and at my firehouse as a brush truck (basicly a small fire truck ment to go off road for woods fires) both trucks are basicly stock performance and suspention wise and they are both very capeable in off road situations. Weather im crossing a field goin down a muddy trail or through a small path roughly clead by a forestry dozer I have been impressed by the ability of the trucks to traverse the terrain. However every person has thier own preference and thiers nothing wrong with that, just take the time to asses what you will need a truck to perform and go from thier. Il tell you though, a good set of tires is a must, it is the only object that conects you to the ground. And an absolute rule, if you take a vehicle off road it WILL get scratched and eventualy dented and cracked and bumped and scuffed, so expect that. hopes this helps you some, happy holidays Robbie.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 AM
I've taken mine offroad a time or two. i've had no problems. most of the stuff I run through has a bottom to it so its no major thing. i've yet to run it through some deep stuff. Mine is pretty much bought for fun and maybe future trailer hauling. Most of my offroad is being the rescue vehicle for other people. I like more open areas to run and most places around here are tight trails that scratch the paint.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:28 AM
I use my truck off-road quite a lot. I am on fire trails, drilling roads, open fields and such all the time. There will always be places that are just dumb to take such a big truck and it will never try a rock crawl. But it is a great heavy duty truck that can indeed go way off the beaten path.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:47 AM
My Duty is in the shop right now because I like to play in the mud. I'm getting my torque converter, pump, diff gear kit, and front end links replaced. You have to pay to play I guess. Thank God I work at a Ford dealership.

Last edited by superduty1999; 01-18-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by SBMotorsports
I use my truck off-road quite a lot. I am on fire trails, drilling roads, open fields and such all the time. There will always be places that are just dumb to take such a big truck and it will never try a rock crawl. But it is a great heavy duty truck that can indeed go way off the beaten path.

NICE TRUCK, SBMotorsports! What kind of light bar and lights you got on there?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I have a reg cab 05 5.4 250. It gets it's share of muddy farm roads and feilds durrring the PA hunting season here. Gets really nasty after some rain or snow, and knock on wood this truck has never been stuck in it. I have gotten my old 87 F-150 4x4 short bed stuck in the same holes i drive through with the heavier 250 through all the time. In some situations the longer wheelbase I think is better. But with the added weight the 250 is really not something to be rippin around off road with, but it is very capable of making it through.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
An f-250 with mud tires will get you pretty much where ever you need to go when hunting, camping, etc but for hardcore wheeling through 3 foot deep mud holes they are way too heavy and sink like a rock. I have a 77 f-150 that i offroad. It is registered and insured so i can drive it to where ever i am offroading, and i drive it to work on occasion, but if i break it i can still get to work the next day. You can pick up a solid, reliable 1970's ford for under a grand, throw some tires on it and it will be way more capable than the superduty.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Off-Road