F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Beware future Ford & future 05 PSD owners!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Beware future Ford & future 05 PSD owners!

I had just recently ordered a Limited build Amarillo Package 2005 4x4 F-350 CC ($51,175.00) through Gaudin Ford here in Las Vegas. I have never owned PSD but going through this and many other Forums the general consensus was to spend the extra $4,000 plus dollars because in the long haul it would be worth it. So I pretty much ordered it with every option available because I did plan on keeping it for a long time. It took almost 3 months for delivery and only three weeks for the Turbo/Engine to blow. My wife and I planned on taking a vacation out at Dumont, CA with the family before the weather started getting to cold and my son who is in college even came to join us. I pull a 22’ Fleetwood Gearbox toy hauler (7,500 lbs – 8,000 lbs loaded) and for those first three weeks we drove the PSD daily in order to get the required 500 miles necessary to tow. Last Friday November 5, 2005 we were ready to go with about 615 miles on the odometer. We headed south on I-15 and approximately 15 miles south of the Nevada/California border (about 45 minutes into drive) while going up mountain pass the truck started loosing power. I immediately checked all temps and pressures but they were within normal range, then half way up the turbo blew and I had to immediately pull off to the side of the road. Fortunately California Highway Patrol was a few cars back and stopped to assist us. He took a look and nodded his head and said and hour ago he just had a 2005 F-250 towing a 26’ boat blow his turbo and had it towed away. The officer loves Fords but felt there is some design issue with the 05 engines. Reluctantly, I called Ford’s road side service and they only cover the first 35 miles of towing or to what they consider the nearest Authorized Dealer and that was Needle, CA which was further in California instead of back to Nevada where I needed to go. They do not cover trailers and if I wanted I would have to pay out of pocket for us to be towed back to Nevada. Now mind you it’s about 11:30pm by now and CHP’s is telling me we have to move for our safety and that of others. I totally agreed, but the truck would barely move and it smoked unbelievably. CHP’s actually slowed traffic down because no one could see the road when I was moving from all of the smoke. It took what seems a half hour to move a mile and a half up the road to the nearest off ramp. I am now on the off ramp in the dilemma of having Ford’s wonderful road side service drive me and my family further in California for free and leaving the Toy Hauler on the side of the road or paying for the move out of pocket to get me and my family back. Anyone want to guess what I did? Well thankfully I had AAA and the tow for the PSD was free all the way back to Gaudin Ford and the cost of the trailer was $327.00, approximately 69 miles total. We unhitched approximately 3:30am and the next morning or should I say that morning I went to Gaudin to have them look at the truck. Now I have purchased over five vehicles from this dealer and even a loaded 2004 F150 last December (Which by the way had its rear end replaced three times because of manufacture defects) one would think I would be considered a preferred customer. No one could help because apparently management does not work on Saturdays in the area that I needed but they would try to look at it next week. My sales person said just document everything. Well later that evening after making many phones calls (That should not have been necessary) Gaudin took the truck in and confirmed that the blower was defective but unfortunately it is on a week to a week in a half back order. My wife’s only week of vacation is now ruined, were out of the pocket $300+ dollars and I won’t have the truck back for probably two weeks. I have heard the 04 and 05 engines have not really changed that much but two in one day under such low stress levels makes one wonder! My questions are as follows: “Do I still want this vehicle?, Will their be internal damage or massive wear and tear from moving it up the road to the off ramp that Ford or Gaudin will not see or fix?, Will the next Turbo blow under similar situations or if I pull more than 8,500Lbs? Should I demand a new engine replacement? Regardless on how this works out for me, everyone think twice before buying a 2005 PSD or at least see if the two I mentioned are just flukes, but in any case beware aware of where you purchase it for customer loyalty.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:40 PM
So sorry to hear about your misfortune, thankfully everyone got off the freeway and you and your family are safe. I am in the same delima, do I buy the 6.0 or the 6.8? the truck will not be used during the week since I have a work vechicle, I have heard so many bad stories on the powerstroke it really scares me I would only use the truck on weekends or to run to havasu from orange county, to drop the boat in the water, and maybe to mead.. For every bad story I am sure their are several good one's regarding the powerstroke right??????????. I really dont need the 6.0 but it seems like alot of peeps are buying it over the v-10, better gas , more power, makes me wonder though.Some of the quotes I have gotten on a 04 v-10 are really good, not sure if spending the extra 5 to 10 thousand is worth it. I really havent heard the v-10's being bad at all. Hopefully they can fix your truck and get you back on the road, this should not be happening to a brand new truck. Good Luck.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:11 PM
That is a bummer for you & yours for sure. Unfortunately it happened to you, kinda luck of the draw, sort to speak.

Turbos do blow but dont think its that common. I would imagine tech. will run complete system ck. to verify sensors etc. are working ok. Besides new turbo, seems oil/filter change should be done.

On your Q's, Im thinkin no damage to engine but you need to go over that w/your dealer. No reason to believe next T. will blow, yeah I know, but why worry about something that hasen't happened.

You can tow alot more. Do you still want this truck, well if it hada been a V10 or 5.4L failure would you ask same Q, I dont know? Seems there's a very good chance you want have anymore trouble. JMO!

Try & keep a good relationship w/dealer svc. dept. remembering they didnt build turbo, truck etc. Maybe push for some free perks, like o. changes etc. can't hurt to ask.

Good luck on fix. Update if you can. OT

btw..yeah I know, but welcome to site anyway.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:41 PM
sorry about your luck.

Keep in mind, a CHP is NOT a reputable source of data on truck longevity. Maybe if you wanted to know about Crown Vics, but not diesel trucks.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:05 PM
First off I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions. I have received many personal emails on this and since this weekend has now passed I guess my anger is not at what it was when I wrote it. I do want to make clear that I am not bashing Ford; my family has been with the company for over thirty-five years but many have asked and the story is factual with nothing added. I would be more than happy to give you the dealer’s phone number if you would like to check for yourselves, but that was not the reason for my message. I just want to make everyone aware and find out if others have had the same issue with the turbo that I did, not to mention the limitations of the Road Side Assistance program. If I was looking to buy a new truck (hmmm) or any vehicle, I would like to hear what issues other owners may have run into, especially if it’s a new run like the 05. My question now is “If all the engine instruments (Oil, Water etc…) where within the normal operating range before and after the blown turbo, what is the likelihood of engine damage?”

I just received a call from my dealer and the cause that was given to me was “Inner bearings where loose and they blew out the impellers, hose was still attached”. Unfortunately that is all I got and I am sure when it’s fixed I can give more information. I was told that the 05’s had some other issues but I was not privy to that information. I will update when I have more info for those who are still interested.

Thanks again all…

Old 11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Sorry about the misfortune, write a letter to Ford.
State the whole story and your worries about future problems and reoccurrences.

Good luck

Old 11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
It certainly is a bad deal, however, a turbo "blowing" like that is very rare.

My first thought was you blow the IC hose of which is very common and what you describe is that exactly. Although I dnd't read if you heard the "bang" when it blew.

It's not a turbo fault byb design so no, you won't have to worry about towing and blowing a turbo. With a SC tuner I get 32PSI boost and I've had mine WOT with 7500# behind it and all it does it "goes".

Old 11-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Speaking of truck longevity does anyone have a 6.0 that has high miles [say over 100,000] that hasent had any major problems? I`m looking to buy a new truck soon, and I tend to keep my trucks over 10 years. That being said I`m worried about the long term reliability of this engine. Iwould like to hear from anyone who has had a good long term experience with this motor. I hear people talk about 5000 miles with no problems, well frankly thats not very impressive. If your going to trade it in 3 years or so, and can handle lots of trips to the dealer and down time I guess it would be ok, but thats not for me. These motors are very expensive to work on as we all know, if ford is paying for it thats one thing, comming out of my pocket is another. Im not bashing Ford heck I own two of them right now and they are both great trucks. Im just trying to get some info. As it stands now Im leaning more towards the V10 due to reliabity concerns, but that powerstroke sure is tempting

Old 11-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Welcome! Mcarino

03 6L still fairly new. 04/04 6L had alot of changes. The 05's had less. Im thinking may not be fair comparison between 03/04, maybe even 05, althou that remains to be seen.

Im guessing real hi mileage/longevity reports will show up on 6L after 3yrs. on the road? Yeah, Ive had a thought or two about my 6L VS gas V10, but so far doing ok, (few minor issues) but only 10K+mi. My 1st D. Do take some getting used to.

OT

Old 11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Try asking the same question at thedieselstop.com
They have a lot of 6.0 owners there.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:53 PM
03 6L

Back in early December of 2002 my dad picked up his new truck from the Ford house. Leaving the lot for the first time the turbo went out. Since the truck was so new it took them until the end of December to get the new turbo in and on the truck. A Ford rep called him during the ordeal asking if he has enjoyed his new Ford truck. "HaHa," I recalled him saying.

Since the turbo problem the truck has been hassle free until recently. Now there is small squeaking noise coming from under the truck. He took it in last week and the technician thought it was the U-joint. After three days in the shop the squeak remained. Now, the Ford technician believes it is the carrier bearings. Not sure if they will work or not. The transmission seems to be holding up pretty strong. He carries, at all times his welder, cutting torch, propane bottles, and other toolds and equipment. Tows everything from a New Holland tractor to a building material. Not quite to 30,000. What can I say, he lives in a small town.

-Blue '97

Quick Reply: Beware future Ford & future 05 PSD owners!