Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Old 12-05-2004, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F250SD
F250 Gas Tank

I have the 2000 F250 SD, V-10 super crew cab with the 25-gal. tank. The dealer says that I can't put a bigger tank in it. But with this gas mileage, I need more capacity!

Does anybody know of a bigger tank that will fit, and where to get it?

Brash
Gainesville, FL
Old 12-05-2004, 09:02 PM

www.transferflow.com

Trail Rig: 95 Ranger on Kingpin D60/14 bolt/D&D Doubler.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info. Ye gods! $800 for a new gas tank... makes one ponder long and hard about how long to keep the old tank.

Maybe I can find one cheaper.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:42 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F250
Send a message via Yahoo to Slickford
I think it is a 29 gallon tank, if that helps, .

Dont change the tank, just add an auxillary tank. It would be cheaper.
Engine Mods: Superchip tuner 1714, denso IT16 plugs, Airforce 1 intake, Magnaflow dual sideout exh. Exterior: Sylvania Silverstars, ProComp shocks, Cervinis hood, Street Scene Speed Grill, Painted side mirrors & door handles, 18x10 MB gunner 8 rims, Nitto Terra Grappler 325/60/18s Interior: Alpine HU & speakers, 2 8" Punch subs, Zapco amp, Sirius Sat, Platinum gauge & AC plates, Brshd almnm dash trim, Almnm sills with luminated logo.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:31 PM

Check northern tool. I think the website is northerntool.com, I ordered a 40 gallon aux. tank and it works great.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:04 PM

Check northern tool. I think the website is northerntool.com, I ordered a 40 gallon aux. tank and it works great.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:37 PM

Remember that with a bed mount you will need an electric pump and plumbing to make it work with the existing fuel system. Thats going to add a fair amount of cost to the project. You would also need to check with state laws as far as what the limits are on the amount of fuel that can be carried without placarding. I would also be a little leary of an extra 40 gallons or so of gas riding around in the bed of the truck should you get in an accident. With diesel its another story as its not as flamable. I would try to stick to an extra 20 gal or less capacity. Adding extra capacity to your truck isn't going to be cheap no matter how you slice it. I'd think about just stopping more often. For diesels its another matter as not every station carries it, and going through BFE in Kansas or Oklahoma with no stations for a long ways is when you really need the extra capacity.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:19 PM

I'm not sure about the legal situation here in FL. The local truck store (tops, toolboxes, bumpers and guards, etc.) said the law prohibited in in-the-bed gasoline tanks (like a toolbox tank) b/c gas explodes whereas diesel burns. But he indicated it was federal, not state law. On the other hand, plenty of websites seem to carry in-the-bed gasoline tanks, so it would not seem a federal issue. I thought about asking the local Highway Patrol, but I'm considering the danger of an in-the-bed tank, too. With the right accident the whole truck and passengers would be a molotov ****tail.

A lot of guys put the aux. tank in the bed and just use gravity flow instead of a pump. That way the fuel gauge always reads full until the aux is empty and the main tank starts to empty. But even the cheapest aux is around $400.

So far the best bet is a replacement 46-gal tank for $800. But this truck is a 2000 with about 112K on it. Putting in the replacement tank is a gift to the next owner, since I will never get my money out of it. I carry a 5-gal spare on trips for emergencies, but you still have to pull over every couple hundred miles.

Brash
Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f250schad
Did you rig this up with a fuel pump between tanks or just use a gravity feed? And how did you connect the two tanks?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 AM