F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Turbo's aren't my thing

Old 05-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo's aren't my thing

I own a 03 Lightning putting out 430 RWHP (502 TRQ) but i need to "upgrade" to a F350 for work (construction company). As far as upgrade options for performance, what would be the best bang for the buck. I know i won't be at my Lightning's numbers in the quarter, but i would like to still have a fast (really torquey) truck......again the turbo thing is really, really new to me, so if someone can explain it that would be great.....also, what is the max. HP you can put out on the stock engine???

thanks for your help and input -

Dave

Old 05-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Will you be buying a new one?

You'll be surprised! There are enough modules and programmers out now that the 6.0 power thing is starting to get interesting. I just got the new Superchips MAX Microtuner and WOW.

I don't know what you're running in the 1/4 wiht the "L", but with the list of mod's I can safely assume it's in the 12's? Is 14's enough for a F350? Easy to do! Many are in the 13's with not more than exhaust and a module or tuner.

Comparing to your "L" number's, the 6.0 will get in the neighborhood to your HP numbers, but torque number will blow it away. 700+ easy! Of course the SD is much heavier and it's not a race truck.

With the SC tuner on 120 HP "Economy" tune, I can roast both rear tires (285 Revos!) through 1st and 2nd gear. A friend came over and tried the tuner out. He has a stock '03 F250. He would seriously roast both rears through 3rd gear. It's SICK!

Old 05-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks FamilyRide-

I went to the local Ford dealer around me and really liked the 250 SD powerstroke, with auto (XLT sport package actually)

My question i suppose, is how much power can be put into these trucks without putting holes in the block. Also, aside from the air kits, tuner chips and exhaust, what's the next power mod? -

I know nothing about diesel trucks, and probably less about turbos, so this whole thing is new to me..

I need the power and durability for work, but i still want to accellerate fast.

This whole thing stems from two things that happened to be over the last month....first i saw a turbo diesel on this site run an 11.##....that thing was sick, and it sounded amazing. Then last weekend i was on interstate 95 and a 350 DRW pulled up next to me...that thing was loud as hell and the whistle from the turbo was insane....everytime i mashed the gas, so did he, I think he could have smoked me if we were racing......

so if anyone has any advice or maybe a website that could educate me or point me in the direction of a great diesel performance tuner that would be great.....sorry for such a long thread!!

Old 05-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Check out www.thedieselstop.com they have lots of information in the forums and some of these oil burners put out some very impressive numbers

Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 AM
definately hit thedieselstop.com

I have an 02 psd w/ the 6spd and i love it.
A diesel is no different than a gasser in that it'll go as fast in relation to how much $$$ you put into it. A 7.3 is tried and true.
Stay away from the new 6.0 to about late 03, preferrably 04.
Allow them to breath as much as possible, a very big air filter and a straight 4in from the turbo w/ a straight muffler.

If you want reliable HP hit up dieselinnovations or tsperformance. Their programs are very expensive but lead the pack in ford-diesel hp.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo's aren't my thing