F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

99 F250 SD Door Switch Problem

Old 01-31-2003, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 F250 SD Door Switch Problem

My 99 F250 XLT V10, SD, SC 4x4 has developed a small annoyance. The "Door Ajar" light stays on and the dome light won't go off for several minutes, then it clicks off but the "Door Ajar" light stays on. Sometimes the dome light will click on and off while driving. Where is the switch? Is it a switch. Seems to happen more at night than during the day, but it does not happen all the time.

Please HELP!

Old 01-31-2003, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justin,

Sounds like the infamous door ajar pin switch problem so common in the F-150's. The switch is located on the inside of the door right below the internal workings of the latch mechanism. Actually twists 1/4-1/2 turn into the latch mechanism.

People say to spray WD-40 in the latch but over time it will just collect more dirt and gum up.

I had this happen on My old 97 F-150 and I bought a new pin switch and installed in less than a hour. F-250 is probably easier.
I have a 2002 F-250 SD and I was hoping Ford had fixed this problem.

Do what you want, but my advice is to spend the 15-20 bucks for the new pin switch and not have to worry about it for 4-5 years.

Or... You could do the half-***, WD-40, oil slick in your door thing and wait for it to gum up again and watch the light go on and off.

F-250 door pannel is really easy to remove. Sail pannel, Door lock/Power window pannel, and 2 screws and then pull up.

Thanks,
My $0.02

Last edited by phildacf150; 01-31-2003 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great. I can deal with 20 bucks. Better than the 200 bills for the drivers mirror that someone smashed off the other day. The Ford Towing mirrors are $$$$$$$$$$$!

Thanks for the help!

Justin

Old 02-01-2003, 08:45 AM
Hey Justin -

If you don't want the towing mirrors, and haven't already replaced the drivers side, let me know. I have a full set of the other mirrors that I had taken off my truck when I bought it (2002 - but should work on your 99) that I could let you have cheaper than the one towing mirror.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:02 AM
F-250 Door switch

I just replaced the right door switch in my 1999 F-250 for that very problem. The switch has a plunger that gets gummed up and stays in the "door open" position for several minutes. The swicth is located on the bottom of the door latch mechanism. It does take a quarter turn to take it in or out, but I found That I had to remove the latch from the door to replace the switch. Removing the latch requires removing the outside door handle and disconnecting the various rods which run from the locks and the inside handle. The door panel is easy. The light in the bottom of the panel prys out to reveal the lower screw. The window switch panel prys up to reveal the upper screw. Pop off the sail panel that covers the outside mirror attach screws and you lift the door panel up and off. It is not a hard job, but keeping all the rods organized for reassembly canbe frustrating. The switch is well hidden, so I don't think you'd have a chance to WD-40 it in place. You'll find a bit of masking tape will hold the rods together and upright, making the reassembly easier. The switches are different for the left and right door. Figure on spending about 2 hours doing what ought to be a 15 minute job.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:24 PM

Well said kerno,

That is exactly how to do it. Sounds just like when I did it on my 97 f150. Surprised that it was the passenger door on yours and not the driver door.

Good luck Justin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 F250 SD Door Switch Problem