Expedition / Navigator

Spark Plug Change, A Success. 2007 Expedition Limited EL

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Change, A Success. 2007 Expedition Limited EL

Finally did it and only had one broken plug, It's the one on the passenger side near the firewall. Mileage on the expy is 73,594.5 miles.

Here's what I can contribute to those who are contemplating of changing their plugs on their 5.4L 3V engines.

1. Download and follow the Ford TSB.

2. Buy the recommended Motorcraft Carburetor Tune Up Cleaner. This fluid really penetrates deep and for a very short time. Every time I removed a plug boot I add this cleaner and then move to the next plug boot to removed. When all boots are out I start taking the spark plugs outvery slowly. Do not apply this cleaner more than 3/4 teaspoon per plug. I used a syringe to be exact and avoid a hydro lock.

3. Get a Hose Clamp Long Nose Plier from Harbor Frigid for $15. per set. 3 pliers per set. You will need this to pull a whole but broken spark plug per se. I used this when after trying several times to unplugged a spark plug that looks like it is not broken, Only when pulling this plug is the only time the plug got separated from the well .

4. Have a Lisle Spark Plug Remover ready, if not you will get stuck if there is a broken spark plug.

5. Don't worry if you can't find a Nickel Anti-Seize. After checking with the 4 major auto parts stores (Pep Boys, O'Reilley, AutoZone and Napa) with no luck, I went to a Ford Dealership and they just gave me a Permatex Anti-Seize because this is what they used.

The whole process is not really that hard, it just takes a lot of time. Take it slow.

Images below are the materials and tools I used for this process.

Last edited by MrToyMan; 03-26-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks like you were well armed. I wonder if I could use that tune up cleaner for manifold bolts...

Old 03-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Congrats on only 1 breaking! I changed the plugs in my F150 this weekend. None broke! I ended up buying a 1# bottle of Nickel Anti Sieze from Fastenal because that is all there was in town. Fortunately I knew the guy at Fastenal, and he gave me a deep discount...ended up being $ 30.00.

Between plugs, anti sieze, and Di-electric grease it ended up about $ 150.

I didn't have the Lisle tool on hand, and I like your pliers...cuz my boots stuck! I ended up tearing one getting it out.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Glad it went well for you. The TSB is out dated, and increases risks of plug breaking

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...s-55-56-a.html

Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Just want to add...the plugs in my truck were the second set...originals changed at 80K...this set had 94K on them...so my chances of them breaking were greatly reduced...

Changed them saturday/sunday, and already have 750 miles on them...

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change, A Success. 2007 Expedition Limited EL