Expedition / Navigator

1999 EB Expedition No Heat Both Front & Rear

Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 EB Expedition No Heat Both Front & Rear

Hello ALL!

I'm a new member. Just bought a 1999 Ford Expedition EB edition about 2 months ago, and I have to say, me and my pregnant wife love driving it and very happy about our choice. 3 weeks later, we had a leak on the rear coolant hoses. I brought it back to the dealership where we got the truck from and they fixed it. They cut 2 of the 3 coolant hoses that can be seen on the rear passenger side and patched them with rubber hoses. Now the winter season is about to start and I just noticed that the heater is not working on both front and rear. I've been observing this for a while and and no matter how long we drive it, play with the temp dial (set to 29 or max 32), the air coming out of the vents never gets hot. The AC is fine and cool but the heat is lukewarm and never hot.

1. Front Heater. I've done my research here and elsewhere and based on the info I've seen online, I can only assume that It could be the heater core or blend door problem for the front. But before I start the tedious "Dashboard/Console Removal by Alan T" is there a way to determine/verify that it is indeed the heater core or blend door that's causing the problem before removing the dashboard? For instance, how do I know that it's not the thermostat? I heard the blend door makes a flapping noise when it's broken? Any additional info. or areas I can check to isolate the problem would be helpful.

2. Rear(2nd & 3rd row) Heater. I haven't had any luck with the rear heater. Are there any valve(s) for the rear heater that might have been dialed down or closed when the dealer fixed the hose problem? Where is the rear heater core or system located? Like the front heater problem, is there something I can check to determine the cause.

I'd appreciate any help, instructions, or steps you can provide to pin point the problem(s).

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by 1999EBEXP; 10-12-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Hello all,

Just an update, the air is a bit warmer last night when I drove it. But still not hot/warm enough. Any knows what's going on?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
For the rear heat.....
First of all, you need to verify the hoses to the rear heater core are getting hot. If so, then the heater core should also be hot. Typically, the rear blend door actuator fails and the flap that controls the airflow through the heater core is not able to move to the full heat position.

The interior trim panels must be removed for access. The actuator should be tested to see if it responds when the temperature is changed on the controls. You will probably hear it trying to work, but the plastic gears inside the actuator fail and the actuator can't position the flaps inside the plenum that control temperature and airflow.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
For the rear heat.....
First of all, you need to verify the hoses to the rear heater core are getting hot. If so, then the heater core should also be hot. Typically, the rear blend door actuator fails and the flap that controls the airflow through the heater core is not able to move to the full heat position.

The interior trim panels must be removed for access. The actuator should be tested to see if it responds when the temperature is changed on the controls. You will probably hear it trying to work, but the plastic gears inside the actuator fail and the actuator can't position the flaps inside the plenum that control temperature and airflow.
Okay, I will check this weekend. I already know where the blend door, heater core & actuator are located for the front, but where do I find the rear heater core & blend door? Are both front/rear being controlled by the ones at the front under the dashboard? Or each has it's own separate heating/cooling system and located in 2 different areas?

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 EB Expedition No Heat Both Front & Rear