Expedition / Navigator

Air Suspension - How's it work?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Suspension - How's it work?

Just curious if someone can tell me how this works regarding when you are not driving.

For instance, when you shut off the car and are not driving, is the ride height supposed to stay the same, or is the car supposed to drop down over time?

I can actually see the car start to rise when i start the car in the morning after the car has sat overnight parked.

I am just trying to figure out if I have a leak or not?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably have a small leak.

IIRC the stock compressor only turns on with the key in the on postition, and it cant fill up the bags if it runs out of air. So when you turn it on in the morning it runs and re-inflates with air.

There should be a switch in the back part of the cabin to turn it off it you need.

You should replace the bags or look into a coil spring swap (cheaper)

Old 08-21-2010, 07:33 AM
so these air systems are supposed to stay inflated fully when sitting around overnight?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
most do, but you probably have a small leak

Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 AM
I just measured from the ground to the wheel well. Both the rears were about 34" high and the passenger front was about 33.75". The drivers front was about 33.25". After I started and moved the truck back and forth...the rears came up to about 34.5" and the passenger front was about 34" and so was the drivers.

its not like the truck is way down in the morning, but it does come up a little.

I wonder if this CPO would be covered?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 PM
start the truck and drive it down the street until you hear the compressor stop running, you should be at full inflation. Park the truck and turn the ignition off and while inside with the doors closed watch the front and rear of the truck and see if it automatically lowers. Happens as soon as you turn the truck off. You can hear a light pop or click coming from each corner when the valves close and the suspension is sitting at it's parked height. It shouldn't lower any more then that or u have a leak.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I just looked at the user manual and the car is supposed to lower down after shut off to make it easier to get in and out. Strange.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Yes, the 03-06 with the 4 bag suspwnsion is supposed to sag when the car is turned off. As you stated ease of getting in and out. My wife's is an 04 and I can't stand it. I was the same way thnking I had a problem. Ford just changed the way there suspension works for our years.

Shep

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Suspension - How's it work?