Expedition / Navigator

Thinking of trading in the 05FX4 for an EXPY

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of trading in the 05FX4 for an EXPY

So, Im considering trading in the truck for an Expedition. Im looking at 04-06 years. Around or below the 19,900 range. under 70k miles....
Anything specific I should be aware of? Anything I should stay away from? I still plan on towing my 30' Keystone travel trailer and I think the Expy will be fine. I like the idea of having more room for my daughter and to take the dogs camping with us.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 AM
We did this with our F250 about 6 months ago... We missed having a truck so we bought a smaller F150 but we kept the Expy also... We got an 03 with 80K on it, runs awesome... I would just look over everything before your leave. We were in a hurry, liked it and drove off... The next day we noticed squeaky breaks, rear air actuator clicking, window wouldn't roll up once rolled down, lights on power buttons not working...

Just look it over with a fine tooth comb!!! Other than the small piddly stuff we love ours!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 AM
For that price range, you shouldn't have any trouble getting something you like. If you're going to be towing, I'd get the 5.4 for the extra grunt. Also make sure the required trailer harness is in the back.

Things to check for:
1. Clicking/thumping from rear AC actuators. Turn on rear AC and switch between floor and roof, as well as between hot and cold. If there is clicking, one of the actuators has broken gears. Easy fix (though can be time consuming, depending on which one it is.) Might be good bargaining point.

2. Just like the F150s, the lighted window switches like to go out. They should come on as soon as the key is turned (kinnda hard to see in the daytime, so cup your hand over them.) Isn't a huge problem, more an appearance one. Again, another possible bargaining point.

3. Not sure if it's applicable with all years, or just 03's, but check the rear tailgate, especially around the plate area. There might be paint bubbling. Something about the aluminum oxidizing, something like that. Cosmetic, another bargaining point.

4. Check operation of the power mirror switch. I know of a couple where either some or all of the directions don't work. Mine, for example, doesn't wanna drive the mirrors down. The switch is only 15 dollars from Tasca, and is an easy fix, but not everyone knows that. Another bargaining point.

5. For higher mileage Expys with the 3V 5.4L, ask to see if the plugs have been changed. I'm pretty sure it's the same hassle as the F150 5.4L engine.

6. Check the headlights for spider webbing. Might need to turn on the headlights to see them (not sure if you can see it in the day, but you can see them at night, when the lights are on.) Seems it's heat cracks. My old ones had them, and the replacement ones I got off ebay have a couple small ones, though they aren't very noticeable. Hopefully running HIDs helps slows the process.

7. I know you said 04-06, but if you were to look at consider an 03, pull the fuse cover off and check the PCM relay (R203, the one next to fuses 22 and 36.) Check for burning at one of the prongs. The early 03s had a problem with the fuse box frying the PCM relay which can result in no-start conditions or the engine dying while driving (ask me how I know...)

Other than that, just push every button, turn every dial, and make sure everything works like it should. Check the tires for improper wear, check the engine for noises on a cold start up. Take a look under the Expy to make sure nothing is out of place. Check the fluids and their color/smell. If it's 4x4, make sure it works. Make sure the windows go up and down as they should. Check the power pedals. Check the rear wiper. Make sure all locks work, as well as the remote and keyless entry.

Hmm... I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but that's all I can remember for now. I'll post up if I remember something else.

Last edited by ELVATO; 12-18-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:30 AM
I know with my 09' EL, it has an independant rear suspension. I am not a 100% sure what the setup is on the year models you mentioned, I am thinking it has the same setup. I mention this because my Xpy EL seems to get pushed around a little more by my trailers that I have pulled with it, more so than my solid axle 07' Suburban did. I am only talking 16-20' flat utility type trailers with 2-4000 pounds on them. I use to have a 24' toy hauler camper that I pulled first with my 99 Suburban later with an 02 then an 05 3/4 ton diesel Excursion. The suburban needed the hitch head and bars setup on the trailer with a sway brake.

Just keep in mind the lighter duty IRS rear setup on the Expedition, and the shorter wheelbase vs your pickup, will effect how much weight you can handle pulling. ALso be sure and check the toung weight of your trailer and the rating on the Expedition your looking at, then if you do not have the bars and sway brake, for safty sake, you might want to look into adding them to it.

I am going to get some heavier ply tires for my 09 Expy. I think it will help keep the trailers from pushing it around so much. I think the long wheelbase EL came out in 2007, the shorter the wheelbase the tow vehicle has the more leverage the traier has on it. I would have to realy beef up the setup on my EL before I would really look at hooking a 30 ft camper to it. The 5.4 and the trans should be up to the task, its the suspension, tires, and wheelbase that would scare me the most about it.

Last edited by cc1999; 12-18-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
For that price range, you shouldn't have any trouble getting something you like. If you're going to be towing, I'd get the 5.4 for the extra grunt. Also make sure the required trailer harness is in the back.

Things to check for:
1. Clicking/thumping from rear AC actuators. Turn on rear AC and switch between floor and roof, as well as between hot and cold. If there is clicking, one of the actuators has broken gears. Easy fix (though can be time consuming, depending on which one it is.) Might be good bargaining point.

2. Just like the F150s, the lighted window switches like to go out. They should come on as soon as the key is turned (kinnda hard to see in the daytime, so cup your hand over them.) Isn't a huge problem, more an appearance one. Again, another possible bargaining point.

3. Not sure if it's applicable with all years, or just 03's, but check the rear tailgate, especially around the plate area. There might be paint bubbling. Something about the aluminum oxidizing, something like that. Cosmetic, another bargaining point.

4. Check operation of the power mirror switch. I know of a couple where either some or all of the directions don't work. Mine, for example, doesn't wanna drive the mirrors down. The switch is only 15 dollars from Tasca, and is an easy fix, but not everyone knows that. Another bargaining point.

5. For higher mileage Expys with the 3V 5.4L, ask to see if the plugs have been changed. I'm pretty sure it's the same hassle as the F150 5.4L engine.

6. Check the headlights for spider webbing. Might need to turn on the headlights to see them (not sure if you can see it in the day, but you can see them at night, when the lights are on.) Seems it's heat cracks. My old ones had them, and the replacement ones I got off ebay have a couple small ones, though they aren't very noticeable. Hopefully running HIDs helps slows the process.

7. I know you said 04-06, but if you were to look at consider an 03, pull the fuse cover off and check the PCM relay (R203, the one next to fuses 22 and 36.) Check for burning at one of the prongs. The early 03s had a problem with the fuse box frying the PCM relay which can result in no-start conditions or the engine dying while driving (ask me how I know...)

Other than that, just push every button, turn every dial, and make sure everything works like it should. Check the tires for improper wear, check the engine for noises on a cold start up. Take a look under the Expy to make sure nothing is out of place. Check the fluids and their color/smell. If it's 4x4, make sure it works. Make sure the windows go up and down as they should. Check the power pedals. Check the rear wiper. Make sure all locks work, as well as the remote and keyless entry.

Hmm... I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but that's all I can remember for now. I'll post up if I remember something else.
Wow! Thats a hell of a list. Thank you!. Some things I didnt even think of.....

Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slightly older models, but I went from a 98 F150, ext cab, to a 01 Expd. When towing my boat, I can definitely feel it moving around a little more, but nothing to worry about. The third row seat is nice with my fiance's three girls, or take the seat out for room to carry all their junk. I actually traded my Truck in on a G35, and didn't have a truck for two years. Bought the Expd, cheap ( 6400 OTD) to tow the boat, and use on fishing trips. It has ended up being my daily driver, when not riding, and the G is now my "toy".

Old 12-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the 03-06's are basically F-150's with a bed cap and rear independant suspension

so anything that annoys you in your F-150...check the Expy for that. Ford is really good at re-using parts/bits whenever possible

otherwise, I personally would look for a 05/06 with the 5.4 3v. the 03-05 Expy has the 5.4 2v rated for about 260 HP. the mid-year 05's had the 5.4 3v added and ditched the 5.4 2v...this gives you an extra 40 HP. which will really help since the Expy wieghs more than a F-150

Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 AM
We love our 03 5.4L 2v... It's plenty powerful! Can't tell much difference from the 04 5.4L 3v...

Old 01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I traded my '04 FX4 Screw in for an Expedition. I hunted around for an '05 or '06, but eventually fell for an '07. The '07's body style is much better and the dealership gave me more money on my truck and I got a much better interest rate because the vehicle was less than 2 years old, so my payment is about 15 more a month for the '07 than it would've been with the '06 that I was going to get. Seemed like a no-brainer to me....

Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I just traded in my 06 F-150 XLT SCrew for a 2009 Expedition. Granted, it's a little newer than what you're looking at, so there may be some generational differences, but we had essentially the same F-150's, so I can relate to you there. I loved having the bed in the F-150, but found that I tended to use the truck to carry passengers or for daily driving more than hauling significant cargo. I had a tonneau, but I like that with the Expy, I can toss small things in the back and they're secure, warm, and dry without having to put them on a seat in the pickup. The ride is MUCH more comfortable, and quieter as well. The Expy is about 2' shorter than my SCrew was, and that difference is almost entirely in the wheelbase...it maneuvers like a car.

I bought my Expy used with 11k on it, and I've only had it for a couple weeks, but I haven't noticed any problems as of yet. I'm also under the factory bumper-to-bumper for another 25k/2 years which is nice. I may look at getting a small 5x8' trailer if I find I need it, but the seats in the Expy (at least the '09) fold completely flat, so I've got plenty of space if I need to bring something home from the Home Depot or whatever.

I've been EXTREMELY pleased with the Expedition thus far. Very impressed. You'll like it. The F-150 was very comfortable for a pickup, and the Expedition is vastly more so...feels like a car (suspension-wise), maneuvers like one, but the 5.4L can definitely get up and go. I'm 110% satisfied with the switch from the F-150 so far.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by JonF150
We love our 03 5.4L 2v... It's plenty powerful!
same here....though with a few "add-ons"

Old 04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03expyeb
same here....though with a few "add-ons"
wish I could get some of those for my 08 Expy. gotta Whipple the Mustang first before I play with the wifes car though

nothing wrong with the 5.4 2v compared against a 5.4 3v. it's just a matter of which vehicle the motor is in. the extra +40 HP the 3v has in the 2004+ trucks is huge. They weigh 500-1,000 lbs more than their 97-03 counterparts. That, and do you want your plugs to eject? or stick?

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in the 05FX4 for an EXPY