Expedition / Navigator

Bad fan clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bad fan clutch?

I have an 05 with the 3v 5.4. When driving around the AC gets cool enough, but when idling it suffers hard (yes the radiators are clean and the AC is charged properly) I popped open the hood after getting home with the engine running and noticed the radiator fan looked like it was spinning super slow. I grabbed a paper towl roll and was able to instantly stop the fan spinning and had no resistance on the blades while it was held up to it. Outside temps were in the mid to high 90's and the car was fully up to temp. I would have expected the fan to be on at that point and not easily stopped with a paper towel roll. Does this sound like a bad fan clutch? I'm thinking so, but want to see what y'all think before I go and spend 140 bucks on a motorcraft one

Old 08-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
What happens if you press on the gas? Does it lock up?

Old 08-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
What happens if you press on the gas? Does it lock up?
I got a block and brought up the rpms to 2500...initially it was not locking up and still easily stopped by a paper towel roll, after about 45-60seconds though the clutch did lock up and started to roar and the AC began cooling as it should. Once throttle was removed the fan backed off and while it was a "little" more difficult to stop, it still could be.

I just don't know a ton about how these are supposed to work and if this is normal or not. I've never heard the fan kick on while sitting idle though and in the hot southern oregon summers, stop lights and drive throughs can be miserable. Up on the highway or moving along surface streets at a decent clip we're good and cool.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Eh, mine has done this since it was new. So I'm thinking it's normal. So is my other truck, a Dodge Dakota 2000, but that also has electric fans when you turn the A/C to mitigate this issue.

I know it's more expensive, but sometimes I wish these trucks had an electric clutch fan versus the viscous coupling...

Let's see what other folks say. glc is typically helpful.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Eh, mine has done this since it was new. So I'm thinking it's normal. So is my other truck, a Dodge Dakota 2000, but that also has electric fans when you turn the A/C to mitigate this issue.

I know it's more expensive, but sometimes I wish these trucks had an electric clutch fan versus the viscous coupling...

Let's see what other folks say. glc is typically helpful.
Yeah I've been seriously thinking about wiring in an electric fan to push air over the coils while at low or no speeds. Could easily put it on a toggle switch to turn on/off as needed.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:22 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I'd do a full E-fan conversion.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I'd do a full E-fan conversion.
If I don't... Does what I describe above sound like a bad clutch or is it mostly normal?

Old 08-30-2020, 01:12 PM
So I ran the cold car hasn't been run test on the clutch. When I try to spin the fan it barely rotates one blades width... Won't even turn a half or full rotation. From what I'm reading it should spin somewhat freely when cold? It has a ton of resistance when cold.

Quick Reply: Bad fan clutch?