Expedition / Navigator

2003 Expedition: How To Replace Wheel Bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Expedition: How To Replace Wheel Bearing??

We have a bad groaning noise coming from the front end. Does anybody have any pointers or instructions for doing this?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 AM
This is what I have under wheel bearing inspection.

Raise the vehicle until the tire is off the floor. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
NOTE: Make sure the wheel rotates freely and the brake pads are retracted sufficiently to allow movement of the tire and wheel assembly.

Grasp each front tire at the top and bottom and move the wheel inward and outward while lifting the weight of the tire off the front wheel bearing.
If the wheel (hub) is loose or does not rotate freely, install a new wheel hub. For additional information, refer to Section 204-01A (4x2) or Section 204-01B (4x4).

Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks. Is that from a Haynes manual? I think I might buy one tonight. Those instructions tell you how to tell if you have a bearing going bad; I am looking for instructions on how to actually replace one.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Naw, I don't think Haynes makes one for the 03-06 Expys (at least I didn't find one when I looked a while back.) It's from a shop manual I got on ebay.

Lemme post the directions to removal. Just figured I'd post how to tell so you could be sure.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Here is what I have under "Wheel Hub and wheel bearing, Removal and Installation"

WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the LH rear quarter trim panel. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

1. If equipped, turn the air suspension switch to the OFF position.
2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
NOTE: Have an assistant press the brake pedal to keep the axle from rotating.

3. Remove and discard the rear axle wheel hub retainer and the washer. (221 lb-lbs to torque up)

4. Using a suitable hub puller, separate the outboard CV joint from the wheel hub.

5. CAUTION: Do not allow the caliper to hang from the brake hose or damage to the hose can result.

Remove the bolts, and position the caliper, pads and anchor plate aside. (140 ft-lbs)

6. Remove the brake disc

7. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector and detach the retainer.

8. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector and detach the retainer.

9. Remove the bolts, the wheel bearing and the wheel speed sensor as an assembly.
Route the sensor wiring through the access hole in the brake shield.
Discard the bolts. (136 ft-lbs to torque back on)

10. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Seems you're going to need to replace some of the nuts and bolts. Also, from the pictures, it almost seems this is for the rear wheel? Don't break anything.

Do you have a 4x2 or 4x4? I think the above instructions are for the rear... There's other instructions for "Wheel Hub Removal and Installation" and it looks like the front from the pictures. I'll post directions for that when you tell me about which drive train you have...

Last edited by ELVATO; 04-14-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I really appreciate your help with this.

I have a 2003 4x2 with the 5.4L motor. If you could post the front instructions it would be helpful...thanks again.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Eh, the 4x2 and 4x4 seem close enough, I'll just post them.

WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the LH rear quarter trim panel. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

1. If equipped, turn the air suspension switch to the OFF position.

2. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor connector.

3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04

4. Remove the bolt and detach the retainers

5. CAUTION: Do not allow the caliper to hang from the brake hose or damage to the hose can result.

Remove the bolts, and position the caliper, pads and anchor place aside.

6. Remove the brake disc.

7. Remove the bolts and the wheel bearing and hub assembly.

8. CAUTION: If the original wheel bearing and hub is being reinstalled, make sure to install a new O-ring.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
That was for a 4x2

For a 4x4, follow steps 1-6, then:

7. Remove the dust cap.

8. Remove and discard the nut.

9. Remove the bolts and the wheel bearing and hub assembly.

10. CAUTION: If the original wheel bearing and hub is being reinstalled, make sure to install a new O-ring.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Again, not responsible if you break something Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks - it actually looks pretty easy. I'm not sure what step 4 is referring to but I think the basics are take off the tire; unbolt caliper assembly; detach the speed sensor; and unbolt the four bolts that hold the hub assembly on. Pull old assembly off; install new. Reverse. Step 4 is the only one that i'm not sure about - but I just need to get under the truck and try this and see what happens! Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 AM
If I were to guess, it'd be the retainer of the speed sensor wire? It was the reason I attached pix, to make it easy to ID

Old 04-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks again for your help on this - we replaced both front hub assemblies this morning. It was a very straight forward job - remove the tire, remove the caliper assembly, remove rotor, and then the hub came off with four bolts. You have to follow that ABS wire up to under the hood where it connects but you just un-connect it and it is off. From there you install the new hub assembly and run the new wire that comes attached to it. Very easy.

The Problem: it didn't really fix the noise. We even had the tires rotated and balanced. Do rear bearings go bad? It makes a groaning noise - as you speed up. Nothing else spins on that front end...so I am going with either the back bearings or the tires. Something tells me it isn't the tires though. Is it possible for the driveshaft to make noise??

Old 04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Oh, hadn't noticed you replied.

Does it sound like this? http://blip.tv/file/764879 This vid was taken from the rear, 3rd row passenger seat.

Here's what it ended up being for me... Click Me

Try jacking up each corner, and spin the tires with your hands. See if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
How did this turn out for you? I too have a 2003 Expedition 4x2 that has a bad rear hub assembly. I would like to do it myself. Do I need any special tools like a suitable hub puller? What do you recommend?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM
This is a long time later but thought I would follow-up with the solution to the problem. My dad replaced the tires and it is silent now going down the highway. We probably didn't even need to replace the front hubs. I had no idea that tires could cause such a loud growling sound (like what a bearing assembly sounds like when going bad...)

So, if you are reading this thread, consider your tires first before throwing money at other parts.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:59 AM
The problem was not hubs either. I replaced my back one, but nothing changed. The problem ended up being my front disk pads. They had separated from the mount and would bounce back and forth onto the rotor. Ended up being a simple solution. Thanks, PaulM www.muskofftech.com

Quick Reply: 2003 Expedition: How To Replace Wheel Bearing??