Expedition / Navigator

fixed leaky sunroof for $4.00!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixed leaky sunroof for $4.00!

and I did not seal it shut with rtv.

The roof was leaking at the rear corners of the sunroof. A quick hose spray determined that. I bought a new seal at ford for $100.00 (wow, rubber IS costly). I tried a few things to NOT use the new seal, but after working with the sunroof for an hour or two, I figured I'd bite the bullet and possibly break open and install the new seal. Before doing so, I removed the sunroof using the four torx screws and examined it upside down on the kitchen table. I discovered that under the seal (as to "push" the seal out more) in the corners, a thin weatherstrip material had been placed around the corners. My thought was, If they (I assume ford factory) did it, so can I. 3m mounting tape (about 3/32 thick) cut skinny (long wise) was used inside the seal to beef up the push of the real seal and the corners. The strip length ran about halfway down the side and all along the rear to the other side. I tested it, and it should be able to withstand even a carwash spray. done. Seal was returned to Ford parts for full refund.

mike

[edited for clarity!]

Last edited by mikeonbike1962; 10-04-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FORD used tape on sunroof!

My 2010 f150 has been leaking throughout winter months in this same area!! Its caused rusted frame work on the seats, water stained headliner and who knows what damage under the carpets other than mildew smell! No wonder the dealer will not stand behind this defect, they do not want to draw legal attention to it!!! A perspective buyer would never go for this if they could see it! Using tape to fix what should be a larger seal or smaller body stamp is such unprofessional engineering and ANY problems arising from it Ford should be prompt and quick to fix...but from what I see on the web, They are NOT. Ford tough is held together with 3m tape....wow, are there some headlines here?

Quick Reply: fixed leaky sunroof for $4.00!