Expedition / Navigator

Factory Amp Location

Old 07-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Amp Location

Seems as though the factory amp in my 2000 Expedition w/Premium Audio has stopped working. Where is it located and how do I get to it? Also would anybody know what harness to use to bypass the amp.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I went through this sometime back. I was told by a stereo shop that the factory amp was located behind one of the rear panels. I have a 98 by the way. After removing all the rear panels, I never found it. I knew that I would have to bypass it to run an amp, so I did things the hard way. I located the factory speaker wires under the door sills, and ran new wire from there to the amp. It was only after all that, while installing the radio I found the factory amp. Directly behind and below the stock radio. Look there first.

Pull the black cover off that is located below the dash and on top of the wheel well. Look up under the dash behind the radio. If it is located there, it would be easy to see.

Now mine did not have a stock subwoofer. It very well could be different if your has a stock subwoofer.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by tj4840
I went through this sometime back. I was told by a stereo shop that the factory amp was located behind one of the rear panels. I have a 98 by the way. After removing all the rear panels, I never found it. I knew that I would have to bypass it to run an amp, so I did things the hard way. I located the factory speaker wires under the door sills, and ran new wire from there to the amp. It was only after all that, while installing the radio I found the factory amp. Directly behind and below the stock radio. Look there first.

Pull the black cover off that is located below the dash and on top of the wheel well. Look up under the dash behind the radio. If it is located there, it would be easy to see.

Now mine did not have a stock subwoofer. It very well could be different if your has a stock subwoofer.
Alright, I shall go find it today, hopefully

Old 07-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I think I have found the wire to it, but I cannot see a box going to it. Any ideas?

Old 07-14-2006, 01:22 AM
the sub amp is back behind the passanger side wheel well just in front of the factory 8"Sub you have to take the whole side panel off.

The amp for the door speakers is in the dash behind the factory stereo.

You must remove the factory stereo to get access to it.

hope this helps

Old 07-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Hate to keep bumping this thread, but I have found the ever elusive rear speaker amplifier. While running speaker wire I found that it is mounted on the floor of the truck in front of the console. Its a silver box with two black plugs comming out of it.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 AM
How do you get the plastic that houses the factory sub? Do you have to remove the seatbelt bolt for the second row passenger?

Last edited by madjay97; 08-05-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Amp Location