Expedition / Navigator

'99 Expedition brake lights not working - help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '99 Expedition brake lights not working - help!

Hi all,
My '99 Expedition brake lights are not working. This includes both left/right brake lights and the 3rd brake light. I noticed that all the lights failed at the same time (presumably) as they all have the "smoke" residue on the inside. However, the turn signals and taillights are operational. I have checked for blown fuses (none). Any help/inputs would be appreciated. BTW the vehicle is a 5.4L, 4X4. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Check the BOO switch located on the brake pedal. The wires sometimes either work loose from the connector or they break.

While you're at it, check your cruise disconnect switch on the master cylinder for fluid inside the connector. Sometimes when the switch leaks, it will actually blow the 20A fuse (F13? maybe F4, IIRC) and you will loose both brake lights and the cruise control.

Steve

Old 12-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Sounds like either the brake switch or fuse. Mine was the brake switch, easy to replace and its cheap

Old 12-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone! I tried your suggestions - turns out that the wires were a little loose on the switch. Got the brake lights to work this morning. Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Turns out the wires kept coming loose consequently affecting the brake lights. So I just decided to change out the brake light switch. I found the part at NAPA. The NAPA P/N is: ECHSL108. 10 minutes later, the problem was solved.

Upon closer inspection of the defective part and new part, they are both very identical, right down to the Ford logo and pin-out numbers. The part is from Echlin (disty or manufacturer - I'll google them later).

Quick Reply: '99 Expedition brake lights not working - help!