Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Expedition / Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition / Navigator

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 05-15-2005, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Expedition
acceleration problems

I have a 98' w/ 5.4 V8, just hit 100k. I am having this annoying problem on acceleration. Say your getting on the interstate accelerating from 45 to about 65, engine starts shuddering similar to running a lower octane gas. Stomp on the gas and it clears up and accelerates normally. Sometimes I get the check engine light that eventually goes out. I usually get the problem in the 45 to 70 mph range. Never had this problem until recently.

I have searched the threads and I am at a loss for a starting point. I am due for a plug change but this feels like a sensor problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150
I have a '98 4x4 with the 5.4. I had the same problem a while back. It was just like I had put some WAY CHEAP gas in my truck.

I undertook the painstaking task of new plugs. Although the truck needed them, it didn't help my problem.

I started searching the forum for a solution. I found two good ones. I tried two things at the same time. I wish now that I had done them one at a time to see exactly which one worked.

I read on one of the engine forums about pulling the main harness away from the a/c evaporator. I know it sounds funny but check out this link to the thread. FYI: 5.4L F-150 Owners...

Second, I cleaned the MAF Mass Airflow Sensor. It was NASTY! Here is a link to one of the sponsors with a detailed description on how to do it. http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

Like I said, I did both of these and no more pinging or rough idle!

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:34 AM

I am having problems with my 98 5.4 idling rough/vibrating at normal op temp. Researching DPFE problems, I found this thread that sounded like your situation. I'm afraid I don't know how to save the link as one you can just click on and go... but I hope it is still helpful.

http://f150online.com/forums/showthr...highlight=DPFE
Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 AM

Cool, guess I can do it!
Old 05-21-2005, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Expedition
Just bought a can of Seafoam. The stuff seems to work. I just added bottle to my last tank of gas. Going to do the other recommeded cleaning of the PCV system next.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:47 PM