Expedition / Navigator

Silent Recalls!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Silent Recalls!!!!!

Hi everybody, I just registered so that kinda makes me new. Well anyway, you may or may not know this already but their are silent recalls for the new 2003 Expedition/Navigator. Here's the story:

Check the seats frames of your new 2003 Ford Expedition or Lincoln Navigator and you might find - RUST. Ford has issued a communication to Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers advising them of the problem and how to solve it. Ford; however, may never notify consumers of the problem. It's part of Ford's - "Don't ask and we won't tell policies." Industry watch dogs often call it a secret warranty where only those who address the problem will be taken care of. BlueOvalNews wants ALL consumers to be aware of such problems.

In the communication, Ford said the vehicles "may exhibit abnormal surface rust of the metal components of the 20% and/or 40% second row seats. Rust will most commonly be seen on the outboard visible hinge area. . .rust is visible as a bright or dark orange, roughly textured, large droplet-shaped formation on the surface." Ford has instructed Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers to "Replace the lower seat frame of the affected seat(s)."

Internal Ford Motor Company documents supplied to BlueOvalNews show that Ford may have decided to eliminate the painting process to cut costs. In fact, a partial scan of a internal Ford document shows a cost savings of $1.11 per vehicle when the seat frames are left unpainted. In what may be a total backfire to the cost cutters at Ford, dealers must now be compensated anywhere from 1.9 to 5.1 hours to take apart the seats, replace the rusted seat frames and reassemble the seats.

A Ford source told BlueOvalNews that aggressive cost cutting may eventually produce results that impact quality. "It's not good for a customer to spend $40-50K for a 2003 Lincoln only to find the seats are already rusting. It's a dilemma that leaves customers wondering what else they can expect."

Ford Motor Company will replace the seat frames under the provisions of the bumper to bumper warranty.

This is considered a "silent recall" where upon Ford may NOT notify owners of this condition. Owners should contact Pat Hoye (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or click here for a Ford executive assigned to your area.

Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

It's your money - demand a better product and Ford will listen.

what do you guyz and gurlz think about this?

Old 08-12-2003, 11:20 PM
I think that's not unusual. A recall is usually something the NHTSA mandates. Not many manufactures do voluntary recalls.

When a recall is done, it's usually based on something that is or could cause a danger and pose a safety risk.

Other things like a rusting seat due to a cheap attempt to cut costs doesn't present and eminant danger. Some people won't ever notice or care. I would, and I'd be hacked. But they run a business so I'd have to live with it....

Hoever, it would be nice to be able to see all of the things that effect my particular car a little easier. The TSB and Recall search from this board is pretty handy, they just don't put a lot of detail in them.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the info

I was getting some paperwork from under the bench seat of my 2003 F150 the other day, when I noticed a significant amount of the described rust on the metal parts under the bench seat.
Even though it is not a Lincoln, stopping by Ford dealership tomorrow just to see what might be able to be resolved.

Last edited by fp745a; 08-02-2005 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Silent Recalls!!!!!