5.4 Triton IMRC - Problems solved

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Triton IMRC - Problems solved

I recently began getting a P2004 code and moved forward with having the IMRC replaced. I work a lot, and couldn't drop my truck off at a shop, only for them to have it for a week or more. I decided to call yourmechanic.com and have them send a mechanic to me.

They sent Nathan out, and he pulled the intake, replaced the IMRC with a Dorman brand. I haven't had good luck with this particular brand, so I was hesitant, but if I buy the parts - their 12 month/12,000 mile warranty would be voided. So, I let him install it. Within a day - same code and a misfire on #2 cylinder, along with random misfires. I had read that the IMRC could cause misfires, and after feeling around behind the intake, I could tell that the rods were running wrong. I called them back out.

Nathan came back and replaced it again, with another Dorman, and again - 24 hrs later; P2004 P0302. ****!!

I called them again and asked them to replace it with genuine FoMoCo parts. Nathan is here now, and after pulling the intake out - it seems as if the Dorman linkage arm is actually stripping out, and turning itself all the way around, to a position where it actually holds both banks open, all of the time. It made the Dorman IMRC appear as though it had been installed incorrectly.

We've also notice that there is zero room between the firewall and the linkage travel. This caused the driver side bank to rub and hang on lines to the driver side, and rub the wires bare on the plug for the IMRC.

Getting crafty with zip ties, we pulled everything out of the way on the drive side. Also, I repaired the plug wiring, by adding a longer set of wires, then split a piece of vacuum hose, wrapped it around the wiring for protection, taped it up with friction tape, and tied it up out of the way, as far as I could.

(5 hours later) Truck isn't throwing any codes. Scoping camera shows everything working, nothing rubbing and there are no misfires. My mileage has jumped back to 13.5 to 14, and I don't hear anymore ticking or light knocking. (No more than normal on a rig with 160K)

When changing these, I would personally suggest only using original parts, and modify the routing of any wiring and vacuum, etc., behind the manifold. I've read bad things about Dorman, and I've experienced some of them myself. One idea is that maybe Ford has made positive changes to this part, but never released that info to the aftermarket companies. I really don't know. Just a theory.

Hope this helps.
Dizzy