New muffler, aftermarket exhaust, or custom?

Old 02-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New muffler, aftermarket exhaust, or custom?

Hi everyone,
Just purchased an 01 f150 supercrew and have a few exhaust questions.
First things first, I need a new muffler. The current one is shot- leaking, seems like from a popped seam if that makes sense. I have to get under the truck and see if I need to replace all the pipes.
My question is what course of action would you reccomend knowing the above?
A.) Replace just the muffler (how difficult would it be to plumb a new one in?) and nothing else.

B.) Replace with an aftermarket cat-back. If I go this route I think I've decided on a magnaflow 15609.

C.) I've heard talk of exhaust/ muffler shops being able to redo the system for cheaper than an aftermarket cat back. Would a custom welded system of this description have comparable sound, looks and performance to something like the magnaflow system listed above?

I've done a lot of reading on this forum already and it seems like the people here know a great deal, so I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Thanks,
Sam

Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam19
Hi everyone,
Just purchased an 01 f150 supercrew and have a few exhaust questions.
First things first, I need a new muffler. The current one is shot- leaking, seems like from a popped seam if that makes sense. I have to get under the truck and see if I need to replace all the pipes.
My question is what course of action would you reccomend knowing the above?
A.) Replace just the muffler (how difficult would it be to plumb a new one in?) and nothing else.

B.) Replace with an aftermarket cat-back. If I go this route I think I've decided on a magnaflow 15609.

C.) I've heard talk of exhaust/ muffler shops being able to redo the system for cheaper than an aftermarket cat back. Would a custom welded system of this description have comparable sound, looks and performance to something like the magnaflow system listed above?

I've done a lot of reading on this forum already and it seems like the people here know a great deal, so I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Thanks,
Sam
Sam, It really depends on your preference/ comfort level.
A) If you want to get dirty and swap you own muffler that is something you probably could do in your driveway, not super difficult & can be done with pretty simple tools. It will go easier if you have some kind of power saw and maybe a buddy to help. A welder would be even better but not entirely necessary.

B) If that is what you want, go for it. Here again it is something you could do on your driveway with some basic tools and easier if you had extra set of hands.

C) yes some shops can be more economical with making things up in their own place. It can be a regional thing where that works or just how eager the shop is for things to do? BUT...do the comparison of what the shop is offering vs what the purchased kit is offering. Most Kits come with mandrel bends, stainless steel, all the hangers...etc. So some more pre-planning/work is needed on your part that you get apples to apples so to speak.

Last edited by enriched; 02-13-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spell'n

Search this Thread