Simple CAI modification

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple CAI modification

Decided to modify my 2004 F150 5.4 air intake by getting out the restrictive fender wall end. Bought a length of 3" PVC pipe and a 3" rubber adapter that fit over the 3" pipe. Cut the pipe to length, removed the snorkel, slid in the pipe into the intake with the rubber end held against the fender wall with pressure. The 3" rubber adapter doesn't go inside the hole in the fender wall, but seals around it. I wondered if it would stay put, and after driving over RR track crossings several times, it has stayed put. Will find out if it helps at all with mileage (which is why I did it in the first place). Uploaded a couple pictures. Took about 15 minutes to make and install.

Attached Thumbnails Simple CAI modification-0122171532.jpg   Simple CAI modification-0122171532a.jpg   Simple CAI modification-0122171532b.jpg  
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
Old 01-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Yup. Took some ideas from them, but in the end changed it up just a bit. Seems to work ok.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:58 PM
CAI results

After driving for about 100 miles, I can safely say that the truck breathes better. I have noticed a decent difference in partial throttle response as well as wot. Mileage I won't know for a little while yet. For the 16 bucks it cost me I would do it again.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I think it possible you may see a mileage increase if you are meticulous in your methods. The computer will adjust within it's abilities ... and so I think where you may see better mileage is through the need for less weight on that go pedal in daily operation.

When I bought my '07 in 2009, it was a low miles babied truck and the PO had put a "fancy store bought" version of what is basically, "The Gott's Mod" .... it just cost him a couple hundred $$$. It was a low restriction large tube and adapters from oem air filter housing to fender and included a larger ID piece that fit the fender itself .... and a foam filter for the oem housing.

I read some here about my new to me truck, saw that some were adamant that the "Gott's Mod" was snake oil, others said it made a difference. I got curious. One day I came upon a complete stock oem setup that included all the parts filter housing to fender and a K&N filter, was like $10 bid I think. I was determined to try it just to see ... so I installed it and ran it a couple weeks. It did noticeably hurt throttle response and the motor seemed to gasp for air at WOT. I soon put the True Flow intake tube back on and .... response was back.

Later on, in 2010 ... I added a SC FP-1865 and while I have done the updates a few times, I keep using the 87 Perf tune ... it sharpened transmission action, eliminated some hunting between 3rd & OD, is good for towing, and it for sure helped fuel mileage as a side benefit.

BTW, I now run paper oem type filters usually, the two foam ones are boxed and put away.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-26-2017 at 10:40 AM.