Need help choosing right Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing right Muffler

Hey Guys I have a 2011 FX4 5.0 I'm thinking of swapping out my stock muffler only with a Borla or Magnaflow, just the muffler I want to keep it rather quiet, I'm not happy with stock if you know what I mean! Any input would be great.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:52 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Just delete the factory resonator. Stock muffler is straight through.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe something in this thread will help you decide a little.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ust-guide.html

Old 08-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Exhaust Guide

Thanks for the advice. The Exhaust Guide was very thorough, I'm thinking of leaving the stock resonator and Magnaflow from there back SI/DO passenger behind rear tire! What do you guys think?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by 49ersfan
Thanks for the advice. The Exhaust Guide was very thorough, I'm thinking of leaving the stock resonator and Magnaflow from there back SI/DO passenger behind rear tire! What do you guys think?
Where is the pipe now?
A lot will change the muffler just to get the right sound that they like. Or to get a straight through muffler.

I have a 99 F150 and been thinking about the muffler with the 2 exit pipes and run them straight out the back. I have the original muffler on it I don't think it is a straight through muffler. Nothing is wrong with it now.

The only reason I would change it is for the dual exhaust "look" and for a little more sound from the muffler. If I don't have a stock straight through muffler now, I would think that performance would be a bit better with a straight through muffler. I would go with an aggressive sound.

But I am not worried about the performance, I would do it for the sound and looks.

I miss my old 302 pushing out close to 380 horse. I had an 880 Holley pumping 4 barrels all the time sitting on a high rise Offenhauser manifold.
Hooker tuned headers with 4" outlets hooked to 2 Thrust cherry bombs.
I had a bypass that worked off a choke cable to open the headers while riding down the street.
That was back in the late 60's.......I used to fill the gas tank 4-5 times a night just cruising around.
Those were back in the Happy Days.

I know I will never get that sound from my little V6, but I want a little more aggressive sound then I have now. And the 2 pipes would look nice too.

I say it is up to you, what do you like?
(And where does it exit now? Out the back like your asking?)

Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Stock exhaust

Originally Posted by Big Ed F150
Where is the pipe now?
A lot will change the muffler just to get the right sound that they like. Or to get a straight through muffler.

I have a 99 F150 and been thinking about the muffler with the 2 exit pipes and run them straight out the back. I have the original muffler on it I don't think it is a straight through muffler. Nothing is wrong with it now.

The only reason I would change it is for the dual exhaust "look" and for a little more sound from the muffler. If I don't have a stock straight through muffler now, I would think that performance would be a bit better with a straight through muffler. I would go with an aggressive sound.

But I am not worried about the performance, I would do it for the sound and looks.

I miss my old 302 pushing out close to 380 horse. I had an 880 Holley pumping 4 barrels all the time sitting on a high rise Offenhauser manifold.
Hooker tuned headers with 4" outlets hooked to 2 Thrust cherry bombs.
I had a bypass that worked off a choke cable to open the headers while riding down the street.
That was back in the late 60's.......I used to fill the gas tank 4-5 times a night just cruising around.
Those were back in the Happy Days.

I know I will never get that sound from my little V6, but I want a little more aggressive sound then I have now. And the 2 pipes would look nice too.

I say it is up to you, what do you like?
(And where does it exit now? Out the back like your asking?)
Yea life was much easier back in the day, when you could actually work on your own vehicle without a computer. But anyway I'm just a little to old for true Duels I'm just looking for a mellow sound but no drone like My Flowmasters had on my 02 Crew Cab! My truck has stock exhaust now I'm just trying to get a game plan together. Maybe just a muffler change alone would do the trick

Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 PM
I hear you about all the electronic _hit, when it works like it is supposed to some are great. But if they don't.......

If I go dual I would just go with the muffler with the 2 exit pipes on the back of them. And add the pipes.
It is not a true dual exhaust system.

Too old for dual exhaust!? I never heard anyone say that before.

I have a quiet muffler, I want a little rumble.
I steer 18 wheels and listen to that all day, it is too quiet when I get in my pickup. Actually it is a 15 wheeler now, I have those big super singles on the tractor now.

I guess the only way for you to decide is to actually hear it huh?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 PM
glc
The stock muffler on a 2011 5.0 *IS* in fact straight through. I really think you will get the sound you want simply by deleting the resonator.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The stock muffler on a 2011 5.0 *IS* in fact straight through. I really think you will get the sound you want simply by deleting the resonator.

2011 f150 5.0 resonator delete - YouTube
I think you you be right, that's something I can tackle myself one evening if I can find a bolt on pipe, could you tell me what size that would be?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I kept watching the videos and the Borla Atak system sounded the best!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:25 PM
glc
Premade delete pipes are 200 bucks for some reason, why not just take it to a muffler shop and get a quote for a custom pipe?

Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As mentioned try the resonator removal first. You can always change them muffler out later. The mufflers on these trucks have been straight through since 2009.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 AM
If you really want to change the muffler, I suggest the Magnaflow for a quieter exhaust system.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing right Muffler